Forum home You & Your Baby

stretch mark advice

Hi i am 18weeks pregnant - i'm so excited but can't stop worrying about stretchmarks at the moment.

I am using palmers cream, anything else i can do?

does everyone get them, think i will because i did when i was a teenager x

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I think some people are more prone that others,one of my cousins swore by bio oil in her first pregnancy, she used it again in her second and got stretch marks. I think as long as you moisturise with body butter/ palmers/ bio oil you may still get them but it helps to fade quicker afterwards
  • JvLwithBabyBoyJvLwithBabyBoy Posts: 2,740 New bride
    i started using bio oil and body shop cocoa body butter from about 15 weeks. im now 33+2 and (knock on wood!) havent spotted a stretch mark yet. however i think this is more down to the fact that i havent put on excessive weight and my bump is on the smaller side (not much you can do about bump growth though). also my mom hardly got any so maybe genetics? but then i still have some weeks to go so i kinda think i might still get some. but keep moisturizing as its good for your skin anyways. xx
  • mrsleggomrsleggo Posts: 807
    I used Palmers day and night and I only ended up with a few but with constant use afterwards they faded to nothing

Dawn x
  • Lainey_emLainey_em Posts: 167
    I am using bio oil and so far so good have got some on my hips from when I was a teenager too. I think the last few weeks are when they appear so lots more mosturising then.
  • mistyscottmistyscott Posts: 729
    I use Palmer's cocoa butter after every shower (generally every other day) all over bump, round the sides and inside thighs. No marks so far (apart from some odd ones on inside thighs strangely...) but I've heard it's genetic, and that you're more likely to get them during the last few weeks when EVERYTHING stretches beyond belief!
  • JHyamsJHyams Posts: 1,848
    I agree with it being more of a genetic thing. No one in my family has ever got them and at 37 weeks, I haven't got any. I have been using bio oil twice a day which has kept the dryness at bay which I occasionally get, but my friend (whose daughter is now nearly 3) also used it by the bucket load when she was pregnant but did get stretchmarks. Just keep well moisturised and well hydrated and don't fret too much if you get a few x
  • SteampunkbrideSteampunkbride Posts: 1,748
    You'll either get them or you won't there is no magic stretchmark cure unfortunately.

I thought I'd got away with it until 10 DAYS before I gave birth I noticed 3 on each hip. My bump was quite big although I measured exactly right (eg, 37cm at 37 weeks). I used bio oil and other moisturizers. I think bio oil is meant to reduce the appearence of stretchmarks.

It doesn't help seeing celebrities with their stretchmark free wash board tummies within months of giving birth...grrrr.

But there we go, stretchmarks are the scars of motherhood image
  • lucyshawlucyshaw Posts: 71
    I used bio oil and i only got 2 stretch marks right at the bottom of my tummy!
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    It's hit or miss whether you get them or not. My mum had them with me from 6 months as did my aunt (bith still scarred quite badly) but I have so far not got any (touch wood) and I'm nearly 8 months. Keep moisturising regularly but even if you do get them they should fade eventually. x
  • Hia everyone

It isn't genetic, my mum had 4 children and bathed in baby oil and if she showered she put it all over during, and no stretch marks....

I did the same and I ended up covered (but you can hardly see them, they do not stay red, that is what bio oil helps with).... it depends on your skin type etc, I really think it is just one of those things .....

this was 8 years ago now but once married my H2B and I are going to have another child
  • poppet12poppet12 Posts: 357
    It's genetic. I've had stretch mark since I was 11 years old on my legs and hips. However when I was pregnant I did not get a single one. I did use bio oil, palmers oil (which is cheaper than bio oil) and palmers cocoa butter lotion twice a day.

Like everyone says just moisturise loads and if anything you will have lovely soft skin!
  • mistyscottmistyscott Posts: 729
    It is thought to be genetic - but it can skip a generation apparently. Also, my pregnancy yoga teacher said it's linked to hypermobility - so if you can bend your limbs into weird positions (or could, before pg!) then you may be more prone to them...

My DH is hypermobile and he has stretch marks from growth spurts as a child.
  • now that is interesting to know!

I did moisturise loads, I suppose its all you can do, although they are hardly noticeable and I am more than comfortable sat on a beach in a 2 piece
  • shellbob73shellbob73 Posts: 3,152
    I used Palmers cocoa butter religiously from when I found out I was pregnant. I got to 34 weeks without any sign, then I woke up one morning to find a patch of stretch marks on one side of my tummy, by the evening I had them all over my bump!

My daughter is 13 months now and they've faded pretty well, but I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my second so I've basically given up on caring about stretch marks!

I think you can't prevent them, but you can minimise how bad they are, and help them to fade more quickly by using products.
  • Mira3Mira3 Posts: 3

A year past my second pregnancy, I think dermelastic serum did its job. No strectch marks and my skin seemed to flatten back nicely without ripples. Remember to use on your butt and hips and breasts though, I got lazy at the end and would forgo those areas and I have some smaller marks there.