Just decided to TTC

Hi All,

Hubby and I have just decided we are going to start TTC, and I don't want to talk to friends or family about it but just wanted to tell someone so thought I'd jump on here.

I used this site all the time when we got married in 2008, but haven't been on here that much since. I've wanted to have a baby for a while but now hubby wants to as well.

I bought folic acid a couple of days ago, and have cut down on caffiene. I don't drink coffee but I drink too much coke zero/diet coke usually so have cut this down to one drink a day. Is there anything else I should be doing while TTC?

Happy to take any advice! Thanks for letting me just blurt it all out.

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    just try and get as healthy as you can, good luck and enjoy it
  • JvLwithBabyBoyJvLwithBabyBoy Posts: 2,740 New bride
    aww yey! i didnt do anything different at all other than the folic acid. i agree, just be healthy and try not to stress. good luck!
  • Hi MrsFenwick. Just jumped on here quickly to say hello - this is our first month of TTC too. The only changes I have made are taking folic acid (does anyone know the miligrams we should be taking prior conception btw?) and cutting down on caffeine - I am a BIG caffeine junkie, so realised I needed to do this before I got pregnant so it wasn't too much of a shock to cut it out completely! Currently at one milky coffee every morning - and moved onto decaf if I fancy once at any point throughout the day.

Also tried to cut down on alcohol - I don't drink a lot to be honest, but enjoy a glass of wine every now and again in the evening. Trying to cut that down too.

Good luck - fingers crossed we will both have some nice news within the next few months!
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I have been taking 400mg of folic acid a day since TTC and now the same when pregnant. I figured best to take the right amount all the way along.

I am already missing my wine!! And only 6 weeks. I didn't cut down the caffine as didn't have that much, but I am now alternating between caffine free and regular tea, I am finding if I cut the regular tea completely I am getting cracking headaches.
  • Thanks for the advice ladies.

Cebpickle1 - I know what you mean about the headaches, I've had them all week! I had to cut down on coke zero/pepsi max as I drink too much, regardless of TTC I had to cut down as I just want to be healthier but I'm sick of these headaches!
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Enjoy your life! The odd glass of wine here and there might actually keep you sane- TTC is hard work and emotionally quite draining! Have lots of weekends away, spend quality time with good friends and chat the nights away....

Being a mummy is fantastic, and I wouldn't change it for the world, but you do lose some of the simple pleasures like going out for dinner on a last minute decision.... So enjoy being a couple while you can!

Good luck to you all xx
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    Just reread that and realised it sounded really negative, which it wasn't meant to be!

I love the fact that my son wakes me up with a beaming smile on a Sunday morning... But is very different to eating croissants and reading the Sunday papers in bed until 1pm and then having a long lunch in a country pub!

Xx
  • mimimoominmimimoomin Posts: 291
    i will be ttc in august image going to have my implant removed soon scary stuff baby number 4 here we come !
  • NowmrsM - don't worry, you don't sound negative! I know exactly what you mean. Right now hubby and I can do exactly as we please and aren't restricted in anyway (other than by the dog lol). We have just had a weekend away, and are planning another one in a few weeks so def enjoying things.

I think because I've never been pregnant before, there is just so much to think about.

Thanks ladies xx