Cloth Vs Disposable

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on Cloth and Disposable nappies? I've been looking at both and there seems to be quite a big saving by using cloth nappies instead of disposable but not sure if they will be a lot of hassle? I'm quite surprised at the cute designs etc that are available and a lot of places say they are softer for baby. Anyone else decided to go cloth? x

• SteampunkbrideSteampunkbride Posts: 1,748
    I thought I would use cloth but never did.

When I took into account the extra water and electricity used for washing them (my washing machine is on twice a day as it is!) and the time for sterilizing them, tipping contents into the loo extra, keeping up with a growing baby, I ended up going with disposable.

My baby has never had nappy rash and once or twice there has been leakage after an extremely large bottom explosion, they're also easire when you're out as well. A disposable can be put into a bin (although I do carry nappy bags just incase), but do you want to carry a stinky poopy nappy around? This was the point when I thought I would use cloth at home and disposable when out.

I know they say they are more environmentally friendly (if you turn a blind eye to the extra electric, water use), but in all honesty it is down to personal choice. When my son was newborn I think I changed nappies every 2-3 hours during the day, usually just before or after a feed and once, maybe twice during the night. So realistically, baby can use approx 10 nappies in 24 hours. (Depending on the baby). image
  • mum2be2011mum2be2011 Posts: 1,172
    I know what you're saying as I always thought the same about when you're out and about but you get bags made for putting them in so they don't smell and a lot of them don't need soaked before washing. Liners are flushable as well so the majority of poo would be flushed when nappies were changed.

I know that they're not really eco-friendly when you take into account the washing but it's more to save us money to be honest. I'm not too worried about the extra washing but I don't want to do it for the sake of saving a few pounds, the saving would need to be substantial. image
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    I have thought about it many time, particularly now Noah is a bit older.... And I would love to do it as I think it's best fir the environment etc and also is better when you try and potty train as the baby has a better knowledge of when they've been....

But then I think we've just got there with sleeping through the night, started to wean and am now in enough of a routine to do some housework too..... And it'd be another thing to sort out. Sounds lazy but I just don't think I could right now!

Would be interested to hear of any positive experiences though! x
  • sweetjouksweetjouk Posts: 792
    Well I have always wanted to do cloth - again because of the cost and supposed benefits (although you have to take all of it with a pinch of salt I reckon - disposables clearly aren't satans work as the majority of the population use them with no problems and they're much more ecologically friendly than they used to be in the 80s!)

I've spoken to a few friends who use cloth and they've said they love them, but get used to having a baby first. Introduce them after the first 3 or 4 weeks. And then use disposables when you're out for the day or on holiday. I've been advised to use flushable liners and dry bucket them (but put a little tea tree oil in the bucket to stop them smelling.) I've been advised around 15 nappies and 4 covers - most come with liners that you can popper in / out for heavier wetters.

I've bought the bamboozle bamboo nappies but sized ones so they're for approx the first 6 months. This way I can decide if I want to carry on with them or not after this point (plus I'll know if my childcare provider when I go back to work will work with cloth or not - can see it could be a major ball ache for them!).

I saw some guidance that said cloth nappies on average (even including additional electricity and water etc from washing) works out around £700 from birth to potty and disposables around £1500 for the same period of time. Although I have no clue whether this is accurate or what brand the disposables this was based on.

I haven't started using them yet, still only 29 wks gone, but I am up for the challenge.

Like you, I would be interested to hear from someone who currently uses them though!
  • mum2be2011mum2be2011 Posts: 1,172
    Hi sweetjouk,

Nice to hear from someone who has thought about this like me. I am in no way against disposables and am sure there will be times when I use them but it really is more for the money saving as every little will help. I have had a look at the bumgenius nappies which are supposed to last until they are potty trained but will also have a look at the type you've mentioned. I must admit I'm not overwhelmed with the thought of a dry pail of dirty nappies but as long as there is no smell I don't think it'll be too bad. The only thing is you can buy disposables in bulk for quite cheap at places like costco and makro so I first want to check out the cost from there x
    If it helps- we buy our disposables at Costco- the size 4 pampers baby dry nappies that Noah uses works out at 12p per nappy (which is the same as tesco own brand). I'm sure still more expensive than cloth!

Also some councils do discount on real nappies... Am seriously considering looking into this again thanks to you ladies!

Xx
  • SteampunkbrideSteampunkbride Posts: 1,748
    I just wanted to add, that before the baby was born we joined Tesco's baby and toddler club and got vouchers for half price/buy one get one free packets of nappies (but never for cloth ones...maybe that's something they should look at). We used all the vouchers and ended up with so many nappies I have a packet and a half left over from when he out grew them. I have kept them for when baby no. 2 comes along.

I buy the pampers packs and out of the jumbo packs h2b worked it out each nappy came to 3p. So now we say 'he's a had a 3p wee', which means his nappy is full. (I know, the sad things you say when you're a parent image )

Whatever you decided, shop around, the price can vary hugely for cloth and disposable.

Also, depending on where you live, there are companies that pick up the used nappies and take them away, wash them and return them all lovely and fluffy and clean for you. Might be worth looking into?
    Steampunkbride- where do you get your nappies from to be 3p each? Even when boots do their 2 jumbo packs for £20 is still 10p a nappy! They're about to have a new customer! X