dummies / Soothers

hi stephe! i was insistant that my son wouldn't have a dummy but right from day 1 he had a really stong sucking need!! i gave in and gave him a dummy (otherwisehe'd have killed my boobs... if ur breast feeding u'll understand why i gave in!!)

i can highly recommend 'nuk' dummies. they are silicone and a funny shape so they don't mess up the baby's teeth when they come thru. you can get them in bigger superdrug stored or on line. otherwise, 'mam' dummies are good too, available in mothercare.

david had his all the time untill he was 8 months and since then he only has them in his cot. it means now that he's always happy to have a nap cos he gets his dummy!

dummy's are a god send.... don't be afraid to use them. at the end of the day, if he wants to suck he will and it's much easier to take a dummy off him than his thumb!!!!

• Emma_GiffordEmma_Gifford Posts: 1,589
    I use them - they are a bloody godsend !

as they get older avoid using them when they arent sleeping if you can .

stuff what other people think - someone will have have an opinion on your parenting style anyway!
  • MummyCat1983MummyCat1983 Posts: 919
    I was dead against letting my son have a dummy, one week after he was born i found myself in boots grabbing the first dummy to hand. I think if he gets some comfort from it then whats the problem. He now only has when its sleep time. Im hoping to trying and remove the dummy altogether soon so wish me luck. The one thing i can't stand though is seeing 4 and 5 year olds talking with a dummy in their mouths!!! What the heck does a 5 year old need a dummy for!?
  • LYNNIukLYNNIuk Posts: 1,046
    Not too happy at the thought of dummies when we have children either, have you seen the comforters you can buy stephe? or make your own out of a fleece cloth... babies like having soft and snuggly by their faces. Its what my mum did for me and my sister, she wouldn't give us dummies so she gave us these instead. My cousin uses muslims for her two little girls and she has dyed them so they don't get mixed up
  • ms_catms_cat Posts: 760
    i used them for both mine, although they were both off them by 12 months.

If it helps soothe baby,whats the problem?

• ihavegoblinsihavegoblins Posts: 607
    my daughter sucks her thumb when she is sleepy and im happy with that. if you do wish to use dummies i would recomened getting a Nubie ( tommie tippie) as these are better coz they do less damage to the little tooth buds in the gums then nomal dummys. x.
  • clareeg21clareeg21 Posts: 218
    Like you, I was adamant that my little princess wouldn't be using a dummyl but I soon gave in after nights where she wouldn't settle and I gacve her the dummy and peaceful bliss ensued!. Shes 5 months now and only uses it really at night or if she sleeps in the day. I would say a dummy is fine whilst they are very young, because if she didn't suck a dummy, she'd still be trtying to suck her fingers which was a nightmare, and at least with a dummy, you can take it away and wean them off it, you can't take fingers and thumbs away and I certainly dont want a thumb sucker on my hands, especially since i am a former thumbsucker!
  • BaxterukBaxteruk Posts: 3,373
    None of my eldest three ever had a dummy so i thought when Ethan came along he wouldn't either but like other ladies i bought one a week after he was born as he wanted to suck all the time and my nipples weren't up to it!!! Dunno if it was because i was breastfeeding him (other 3 were bottle fed)! Now he only has it when hes trying to get to sleep, as soon as it falls out i hide it away! Theres no problem with allowing your baby a dummy especially if it soothes them x o x
  • lucymattlucymatt Posts: 279
    I too was adamant that I would not use a dummy while I was pregnant, until I read that they could help reduce the risks of cot death!!!!! Obviously it hasn't been proven right or wrong yet but as soon as I read this I changed my mind - ANYTHING TO HELP KEEP MY BABY SAFE!!! If you think about it, if a baby is sucking a dummy as they are going to sleep, then they are concentrating on their breathing a little better.

I decided only to let Jay have a dummy when he was going to sleep, but this didn't last long. I started off breast feeding (this didn't last long) and he was permanently attached to me, so I gave up and gave him his dummy as and when he wanted it.

Problem is, he spits the thing out as soon as he starts to nod off.

Typical of the little bugger, lol.

Lu x
  • Emma_GiffordEmma_Gifford Posts: 1,589
    yes its meant to help regulate breathing apparently.

my friend made me laugh the other day she said before she had her son she though parents were pathetic if they walked all around the houses to avoid the park or something the child wanted to go to everytime - now she gets it! as her son goes apeshit when he sees his gran and grandads house! so she has to walk the long way to the shops to avoid it!

LOL
  • stkezstkez Posts: 2,247
    my eldest didnt have a dummy but my youngest did...

I recommend Mam dummies... great colours, nice size...
  • DeborahtDeboraht Posts: 2,882
    I do reccommend dummies for all my new parents! Like the other ladies have said they can be a godsend in the early weeks/ months of life. Sucking is not only a comfort but also a type of pain relief for babies which is why they are often soothed by feeding and sucking on a dummy. I would reccommend thinking about getting rid of it by 1yr though as it can have an impact on speech development and dental health.