Low Lying Placenta

Im 32 weeks and have just had a third scan as it was discovered at my 20 week scan that i had a low lying placenta.

Today the doctor advised that the 'danger zone' was if the placenta was between 2-4cm of the lowest internal edge of my cervix.

My placenta was measured at 4.5cm so ive been told that i wont be having a caesarian and that 'in theory' i should be able to deliver the baby vaginally.

I still feel that at 4.5cm, the placenta isnt exactly a huge amount past the so called 'danger zone'. The doctor didnt really fill me with confidence!

Has anyone else had a low lying placenta that was borderline?

• KittenHeelsKittenHeels Posts: 267
    Hello!

I was also told i had a low lying placenta at my 20wk scan and am due to have a further scan on the 31st August so would be really interested too as to other peoples experiences. xxx
  • BiffsWifeBiffsWife Posts: 820
    I had a low lying placenta and was rescanned at 34 weeks, all was ok and i went on to have a natural labour.

I think if 4cm is the low end of the "danger zone" and you are outside of that, you should be fine. You still have in theory another 6 weeks or so for the placenta to move but im sure when you go into labour the midwives will be aware so if they need to intervene, they will do xx
  • Linds76Linds76 Posts: 236
    I was told I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks, and again at 28 weeks. I had a 32 week scan 3 weeks ago and it's moved 3.8cm from cervix. They have said ideally they want to see it move to 4cm or beyond & I have another scan next Friday at 36 weeks. Fingers crossed! I'd also be interested to hear other people's views.
  • shellbob73shellbob73 Posts: 3,152
    I had a low lying placenta with my daughter which was detected at my 20 week scan, by the 34 week scan it had moved clear (about 6cm I think) so I was all set for a natural delivery. It ended in a c-section anyway though!

I would agree with Biffswife in that you still have time for the placenta to move away from your cervix with the growth you will still have.