16 Week Midwife Appointment

Hi I had my 16 week midwife appointment today and she didn't want to listen to the heartbeat has she said most of the time they can't pick it up at 16 weeks and it freaks the mums to be out. She said they do sometimes pick them up but would rather wait until I go back next time so I'm guaranteed to hear it. Has anyone tried to hear the heartbeat at 16 weeks and it hasn't been picked up and later be found maybe a few weeks later?

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I didn't have the heartbeat listened to at my 16 weeks appointment but every appointment once I had my 20 week scan the midwife listened to the heartbeat
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    Hiya,

That sounds strange, we heard the heartbeat at 16 weeks no problem and alot of my friends did at the same point of their pregnancies. It can take abit of time depending where the baby is and if your placenta is at the back or front.

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I think this is one of the things that varies by area to whether you have it at 16 weeks or not
  • michnankmichnank Posts: 204
    They said that they would only try to listen to the heartbeat at my 16 week appointment, if I didn't stress if they didn't find it. I said I would, they couldn't find it, which I was fine with, but everyone that I said that they couldn't find the heatbeat to has said - ohh, thats strange, I'd be worried if I was you! Which has then made me nervous, we are having our 20 week scan on Friday and I am hoping to feel reassured by that. I think its best that they don't do it, if its not certain to be found.
  • It does sound quite common then that they don't sometimes find it. I have a private sexing scan on Saturday morning so I'll feel more reassured once I've had that. xx
  • MrsKW2011MrsKW2011 Posts: 1,592
    I didnt even get offered a chance at hearing the heartbeat.

Not sure if this is because of the area or due to the fact that they've cocked everything up so far so we spent the appointment filling out forms to get sent to the hospital so that they will actually book me a 20 week scan!

xxx
  • MrsQM2MrsQM2 Posts: 3,723
    Like MrsK above, we didn't get asked about the heartbeat a our 16 week consultation, and as our 20 week scan did not involve seeing a midwife, I've only heard it once, and that was on Monday at my 25 week midwife appt,

Xx
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262
    Hiya

I've just had my 16 weeks appointment (at 17+3) and she did listen to the heartbeat but then said she wasn't writing it in my notes as they are not allowed to check that early.

So I think this is a case of some areas following the rules really strictly whilst others will bend the rules slightly as they will know that it will give mum2be some peace of mind if they hear the heart beat