Unusual name ideas...boys and girls...

Hi ladies

Im pretty sure this thread will have been done a gazillion times before, but thought id start a new one. I am after some inspiration for pink and blue names and want something a bit different. Feel free to suggest ANY names really, im sure they will all help other mummies in deciding what to call their bundle!

So far we have:

Boy:

Seth

Riley

Finley

Mason

Jenson

Rory

Caleb

Girl:

Siena

Izzie

Chloe

Lets get a huuuge thread going, need some serious inspiration!

Thanking you image

xx

• kerriganchankerriganchan Posts: 1,019
    As it is still early for us we haven't really thought about names much but ones that come to mind are:

Boys:

Lachlan

Conner

Alex

Girls:

Isla

Kathleen

Heather

I'm sure there is tonnes more but as I said, it is still early days for me so will update this later on image xx
  • Love Jenson, my cat is called that after Mr Button! image

Girls names, if you are looking for something unusual, "Chloe" has been in the top couple of girls names for about 10 years (it is lovely though.)

Girls:

Sophia

Daisy

Heidi

Molly

Annabelle

Maisie

Grace

Boys i find difficult! image
  • Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311
    my names are Albert Charles and Theodore Thomas for boys, (no i'm not pg) I love Katie and Lucy for girls but they are less unsusal. i love Florence too. x
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    As you know Shell, Seth my number one boys name.

I also like...

Boys:

Rafferty

Ishmael

Bay

Ettiene

Jesse

Girls:

Iris

Willow

Iona

Leonie

I love this topic though... I will also add unusual names from school as I think of them...

Assumpta, Denner, Saul, Veryan, Kobe, Darwin, Clementine, Kane

xx
  • picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141
    I have a girls name picked out, but as I am yet to see it mentioned once in any top ten lists or on thread like this, I'm not going to tell just incase people start using it and it gets super popular! haha

I also like

Grace

Olive

Isla

Violet

Oliver

Oscar

Frankie

Noah
  • A couple I know have called their daughter Zipporah, and she already has the nickname Zippy.
  • Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311
    i love Clemetine image
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    What I've found, just from baby classes etc is that names that are apparently popular you don't really hear too often and those that are slightly more unusual seem more popular....

It may just be where we live but I know a baby with each of the names on your list Shelly....

I was worried we'd come across loads of other Noah's but not met one and there isn't one in his whole nursery either! There's probably a town somewhere with hundreds of baby Noah's! image

Xx
  • mrsroe2bmrsroe2b Posts: 131
    I've never met anyone with my name, although apparently it's a top name in Kazakhstan, and there's a book with the name in... Zorena. Cue the nickname Zorro lol.

Girls names I love:

Olive

Livia

Lydia

Bernadette

Penelope image

Samantha (not unusual i know but it goes with h2bs surname...)

Boys names:

Oscar - this is so cute!

Oliver (Again not unusual but still...)

• Ah thanks for those suggestions.....

Champagne Please i know what you mean about Chloe, but for some reason i love it just as much as the more unusual names we have thought of.

Keep em coming..... image
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Jenson and Theo were on my list as more unusual but looking around these baby sites they seem to be getting more and more popular.

Ellie-Kate I work with a girl whose daughter is called Rafferty

Girls

Lexi

Lacey

Darcy

Maya

Boys

Kai

Sebastian
  • Our little one is called Xander Aramis, and the registrar hadn't heard that before.

We are just starting to think if we have another one or if that was it (we also have two from my previous marriage) but would be stuck with a boys name (other two are Nicholas and Daniel)

For a girl I like Georgia or Amelia.
  • i liked finley for a boy as suggested by my 7 year old .. who is a dylan which was unusual at the time ... i have a jake and i have a gracelyn which still is different and this baby is miss evie-mae image
  • martinej1martinej1 Posts: 688
    Good idea Shelley to start this thread there hasn't been a name chat for a while.

We are really struggling to come up with a boys name I like different but not weird!

Girls we have agreed on Freya or Heidi (although both of these seem to be growing in popularity)

Boys we really like Riley, but this seems to be so popular now. Only other boys name we have is Toby. I like it but not sure I love it ...

Other names that I have come across but can't have...

ronnie, teddy, Dougie, Ralphie, Albie, Chace, Shay, Harrison, Louis, Harvey

Taya, Nya, Eloise, Lexi, Skye

• m0nkeym00m0nkeym00 Posts: 841
    Quoted:
    I have a girls name picked out, but as I am yet to see it mentioned once in any top ten lists or on thread like this, I'm not going to tell just incase people start using it and it gets super popular! haha

Haha me too. I have also picked a girls name which is not at all popular and many people haven't heard it, but for the same reason as you im very reluctant to post it haha. And the boys name we have is very unheard of too.

Husband wanted Mia, which was our original girls name, but it had been in the top 10 for the past 10yrs so too popular for my liking. Im a Sarah, and I hated it at school. There were 4 of us in my class, all Sarah Jane's and all sat on the same table. I felt like yet another Sarah, I envied girls with more unusual names. However I really like the name 'Sarah' I think its really pretty, and doesn't seem very popular these days, If I wasn't Sarah I'd consider it for my child.

My friend just called her LO 'Darla' which I think is lovely, and another friend likes 'Tabitha'. I really liked 'Thea', but hubby said no, plus someone I know just called there LO 'Thea'. Its a shame as that was the name of my wedding dress too.
  • laura2988laura2988 Posts: 332
    Oohhh my fave names - all stolen from family and friends:

Girls:

Erin

Izzy

Boys:

Alfie

Ollie

Jasper
  • jefnurjefnur Posts: 359
    I like Amelie, Bea or Norah for girls.

And Calder and Samuel for boys.

I'd actually die if I found out I was pregnant though. Recent baby names from my friends/family are Hayden, Jayden, Ava, Penelope, Bethany, Rachel and Grace. Not sure how I feel about Penelope but its growing on me.
  • MrsHHMrsHH Posts: 317
    Okay, I am not pregnant, but planning to be after the wedding in August! I love baby name chat!

Girls:

Noa (H2B not keen but I LOVE it and I am working on him :P)

Willow

Izzy

Belle

Annabelle (which could be shortened to Belle)

Isabelle (again, which could be shortened to Belle)

Boys:

Leo

Micah

Austin

Noah

Whoever mentiond the name Zipporah: someone at my work is called that and is known as Zippy - it's awesome!! image
  • Our little girl's name is going to be Lilyanna...never heard or met another little girl with the name yet! We love Lily but know its very common now and my mums name is anne so when we found the name Lilyanna it seemed like a lovely tribute..obviously we'll probably end up shortening it to Lily anyway but we think Lilyanna is very pretty image

Just in case they've got the scan wrong and we have a little boy instead we have Luke callum lined up as a boys name image
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    Darkshine88. Love your boys names but hubby has vetoed most of them. Also remembered Chester, Rafe and Jed for boys and Orla, Keziah & Lamorna for girls.

Being a teacher I'm forever on the look out for unusual names.
  • My little boy is Harry... Really popular but I haven't come across another Harry yet! If we have another boy I'd struggle but we like Alfie and I love Arthur but hubby doesn't!

For a girl I love polly, phoebe, Matilda and Martha. And after watching emmerdale I like angellica!x
  • MrsHHMrsHH Posts: 317
    Don't you just hate when your other have plays the veto card! image image

I am also a teacher and love hearing all the different names. I will write some I have come across:

Liora, Ayala, Aurelia, Ronni, Ilana, Eliana, Eliora, Levona, Avi, Maya, Shira

Ezra, Zev, Raffi, Lior, Eli, Natanel, Jonah, Akiva, Azaria

You may have noticed that a lot of these names are Hebrew names, but they're awesome! I'm having a mind blank now so will stop!
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Some I love but were disallowed image ...

Boys:

Preston

Noah

Riley

Jesse

Rowan

Reece

Girls:

Heidi - loved this one!!

Ruby

Maddison

Freya

Amber

Sadie

Esme

Friends little girl is called Betsy, sooo cute! Xxx

Ooh forgot issac for boy and I also know of a Matilda and Suki - think that's how its spelt!! Finley/finlay is very popular with my friends at the mo!
  • dani7919dani7919 Posts: 213
    I love the name Arlow for a boy.

My fave girls names are Elize or Eloise - We couldn't use these names for our daughter as she has a cousin called Ellie and we thought it may get shortened along the way to the same. We called our daughter Isabelle instead.
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Eloise is gorgeous!
  • We're not trying for a little one just yet, but for a boy we like Ethan. Also there's a girl at my work called Patience, which is really pretty.

• teeeenyteeeeny Posts: 412
    My faves so far (constantly adding to it!):

BOYS

Silas

Dexter

Lennon

Asher

Jonas

Noah

Mason

Rory

Caleb

Isaiah

Oscar

Ace

Toby

Kit

Micah

Eli

Preston (this would be nice as it's my current surname and I LOVE it so super sad to see it go)

Rowan (as in Roe-in, not Row-in)

GIRLS

Matilda

Marley

Annalie

Amelie

Poppy

Melody

Rae

Skyler

Alice

Norah

Iris

Willow

Olive

Darcy

Amelie

Hanneli

Pixie

Tabitha (Tabbi)

Kitty

Bea
  • Me and hubby are both teachers, and we both have taught kids with more 'unusual' names than what I'd call normal names. Its just trying to find names that we like that don't remind us of kids we've taught.
  • I'm not pg but love thinking of names if we were to have any more. Fave girls name is Izzy Elouise image fave boys name is Daniel James - not unusual at all I know but I like it. Only thing with that is no doubt would get shortened to DJ as a nickname which I really don't like.
  • Stef141Stef141 Posts: 75
    Loving all the baby names, my wee girl is 12 weeks and we called her Ella Rose.

Other names on our list were:

Aoife

Eva

Hope

Faith

And for a boy we had

Anthony

Noah

Harry

Oscar

Oliver

Charlie