Pregnancy food diary?

I used to be a regular poster on the food diary in "diet and fitness" and found it really helped me to stay on track with healthy eating. Since falling pregnant in November, I have leapt off the wagon spectacularly, and I'm finding it harder than ever to avoid eating junk (aswell as the healthy stuff). I have gained weight tremendously (and the bump's not the culprit - I'm talking thighs, arse, back; everywhere!) image

So I wondered whether anyone would be up for joining me in a health kick? Basically, each evening, post on this thread what you have eaten that day - hopefully it will spur us on to keep our diets well balanced for the baby, aswell as ourselves. Also it's good for getting menu ideas...

Anyone interested?

• LilleaukLilleauk Posts: 370
    Oh well, just me for now then!

YESTERDAY:

B - scrambled eggs on wholemeal seeded toast, blended fruit smoothie, weak coffee (really struggling to give this up - what are the guidelines on caffeine intake?), pregnacare plus supplements

L - fat free vanilla yoghurt, an orange, peanut butter on wholemeal bread

D - sausages with mash & caremelised onions

S - a pear

3 pints of water (so 6 glasses maybe?) over the course of the day - anyone know what the guidelines are for pregnancy? Is it still 8 glasses a day?

Off to Sainsbury's later so will need to summon all of my will power not to do what I have gotten into the habit of doing; filling my trolly with cakes, chocolate and ice cream.
  • picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141
    Hiya

I'll join too!

Yesterday I had:

B: Poached eggs on wholemeal toast. Decaf tea

L: Corned beef sandwich. Decaf tea. Handful of grapes.

D: Sausages, mash and cabbage. Pregnacare supplements.

I also had a few non-alcho lagers and some cheesey doritos. image

I'm rubbish at keeping up my recommended water intake. Must try harder!

With the coffee... It says in my book no more than 2 mugs of coffee or tea a day. So I switched to decaf. Can't taste the difference with tea, but I'm not a coffee drinker so no idea if you'd notice the difference. Why not try weaning yourself off?

The jury is also out on eating peanuts during pregnancy. Have you read up about that? I've decided that as hubby and I aren't allergy sufferers I'm not going to actively avoid them, but then I'm not a big fan of peanuts anyway.
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    I'll join you guys (I like the idea of using peer pressure to stop myself eating too much)

I've put on 2 stone and although I'm sure it's OK (BMI of 23.0 at booking) it really freaks me out. Ironically my bump is really small for 7 months but it's all round my middle so I look more fat and less pregnant. image

With the coffee, I got terrible headaches when I drank only decaf so I always have an instant normal coffee in the morning and then usually decaf for the rest of the day.

Yetserday I had

B:bacon sandwich, OJ and coffee

L: Tuna salad sandwich, Orange, Apple, chocolate biscuit

D: Green chicken curry, salad, noodles.

Lots of water and a glass of red wine (I know! but I did speak to the midwife and she said it's fine in tri 3 if you know you can stop at one)

Good luck. xx
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262
    They recommend no more than 2 cups of tea or coffee or 5 fizzy drinks (eg coke) with caffine in. I totally went off drinks with hot milk in from the start so not been too hard for me luckily. Although it really gave the game away at work going from about 15 brews a day to 0!!!!

I take a 2 litre bottle of water to work everyday to make sure I get through enough water - works well for me. You are meant to drink more water now pregnant as your body needs to make the extra blood etc so they recommend increasing from normal amounts.

Lil - have no idea how you can take your supplements in the morning - they used to make me feel really sick if i took in the morning.

I will join you (although going away for a few days so might not be around until next weekend). I did slimming world before falling pregnant and still going as been told high risk of developing diabetes so trying to maintain through my diet.

Yesterday had

B: Boiled egg on wholemeal bread

L: Steak Pudding and chips (payday treat as we were working overtime :/ - not very healthy I know but tasted great!!!)

T: Grilled salmon with boiled rice, peas and lettuce

Snacks - mullerlight yoghurt, fresh pineapple, banana

2 litres of water and a can of dandelion and burdock!

So far today had 2 weetabix and a banana
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    great idea, nice to see what others are eating too; some yummy ideas image

I'll join too as ive been really slipping lately but ill start Monday if that's ok. New week new start image xxx
    Yay! Thanks for joining me ladies! Knowing that other people are looking at what I eat shames me into being good. The next step is fitting in some exersize, am over the tiredness now so have ordered a maternity swimsuit with good intentions - we'll see...

I feel better about the coffee now! I only ever have one cup, and as I use a coffee machine I make it really weak with loads of water and less grinds. Tried to stop drinking it totally but it just made me want it even more! If I get a take away from Costa I always have a decaf.
    Lil - you will be fine having 1 cup - I get costa all the time too but started asking for decaf - can't tell the difference!!

I've started swimming (just been and done 3/4mile - 48 lengths) - took me ages to find the motivation but started at 20 weeks and feel much better afterwards. Started going 2-3 times a week and been to aqua natal too
    There's a "swim gym" near me, it has small individual pools where you swim alone against a current (you control the strength) for a half hour session. As soon as my cosie arrives I'm going to book a trial session. I used to swim before work but got sick of the crowds, and constantly having to dodge the aggressive swimmers who were basically head down, front crawl and no apologies for wacking you on the head or sending a huge wave of chlorine in your face. Admittedly, I'm not the strongest or fastest swimmer so I probably got on their nerves just as much! I think the swim gym option will suit me better, I'm hoping so anyway as I've got to do something.

I like the sound of aqua natal - is that like aqua aerobics? Will have to find out if there's a class near me.

I used to do zumba 3 times a week, but although the midwife said I'd be ok to carry on, the intructor said no because of all of the abdominal twisting. It's the only form of excersize that I actually enjoy image
    Oooh - that sounds good.Wish there was one of those near me. I've been really paranoid about people kicking me in the stomach when swimming but managed to find the quieter times to go and the pool near me always has at least 1 lane in so you can swim lengths away from the kids!!

YEah, its like aqua aerobics but tailored for pregnant ladies. It not very strenuous but good to be doing something and get to meet all the other pregnant mummies. And its only a couple of quid at the class near me image
    At what stage can you start going to Aqua Natal ladies? There's a pool up the road that does it but there's no info on their website.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,787
    sorry ladies g/cing your thread would be useful to do this for us new mummies too.

You can do aqua natal at any stage of pregnancy

with peanuts there was a study on effects of peanuts and they found abstaining from nuts was more likely to lead to nut allergy than if gradually introduced into diet which is why advice has now changed so can eat them.

On NHS cwebsite there is a list of how much caffeine in things
    TODAY:

B - 2 slices wholemeal toast with LF spread & marmite, blended fruit smoothie, a satsuma, fat free yoghurt, pregnacare plus supplements

S - decaf iced latte

L - 2 slices malt loaf with LF spread, a slice of cheddar cheese, a plum, a glass of pressed apple juice

D - roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes & leeks, for desert: homemade gooseberry and raspberry crumble with custard

so far have had 6 drinks.
    Ok I'm guna edit my post as I go through day, hope that's ok! Helps with baby brain image

M: shredded wheat with semi skimmed milk and sugar and small cup of tea

S: pineapple, strewberry & Apple fruit pot, fruit & fibre cereal bar, bottle & half of water

L: Mediterranean salad with cheese, green & black olives. Brushetta mini things, 2 small fromage frais, cup of water

S: small kitkat, 2 and half more bottles of water, Fig biscuit before exercise - just one!!

D: pork chop, garlic & basil pasta with peas and crusty bread, nom nom image apple and mango juice

Now: cuppa, 3 digestives and before bed cup of ovaltine.

Exercise: parked in a car park further away so enjoyed a 5 min stroll into work, stroll back to car.

20 mins of pilates

• Roo1983Roo1983 Posts: 416
    Think I'll try and update too! Will pop back tomorrow morning and list what I had today....so far it's porridge with blueberries stirred through, it'll all be downhill after that image

I don't want to admit to myself what I ate over the weekend, but dinner last night was a Dominos!

Pickle - what non alcoholic beer have you been having? I tried Cobra and was nearly sick image x
    Roo- I had Becks Blue, it's nice. I tried Cobra and you're right it's hideous!!

YESTERDAY:

B: 2 pieces wholeweat toast. tea

L: Turkey salad sandwich. Handful of blueberries. decaf tea

S: Banana low fat yoghurt

D: Cottage pie with cabbage. Supplements.
    Well I had a terrible day yetserday image

B: pancakes, lemon & syrup

L: Went to a christening & at the 'do' after there was an array of beige food (the sort on the 'bad' table on supersize v super skinny) and not a fruit or vegetable in sight! God knows what I ate but it was bad

D: pasta, sausages and salad and 5 squares of chocolate.

I drank a lot of water but oh dear...

I did walk into town and back though.

So far today I've had 2 hot cross buns, a coffee and two glasses of water, and I've got a nice healthy packed lunch but it will all probably go downhill when I get home from work. image
    Oh god, I just had a mcdonalds!!! EEEEEKK!! And just writing it here is making me feel super guilty. Better not tell hubby, he'll be cross image
    Orr pickle, the first couple of months I survived on cereal and cheese sandwiches and crisps. Couldn't face anything so don't feel too bad, as long as your eating that's the main thing!

Ellie my weekend was TERRIBLE, I would cry if I wrote down everything I had this weekend!! Xxx
    TODAY:

B - 2 slices wholemeal seeded toast with LF spread & marmite, innocent mango smoothie, a plum, fromage frais, pregnacare plus

S - an apple

L - cheese and mixed pepper salad, a wholemeal pitta, 2 slices malt loaf with LF spread

D - leftover roast beef in a thick-sliced white bread sandwich (ymmmmmm....!), sliced banana & custard for desert.

So far a litre of water and a cup of tea, will try to squeeze in two pints of juice before bed.
    Picklepick, has your hubby turned into a food fascist like mine??? image

Bless, it's quite sweet really, in an annoying kindof way...
    Ok today has been slightly better

B: 2 hot cross buns, coffee, water

L: tuna & cucumber sandwich, apple, orange, raisins.

S: 3 chocolate biscuits (oh dear)

D: stuffed mushrooms, oven chips, broccoli &peas.

Excercise has been minimal but I did run to the pastoral office at work. And I have yoga tomorrow image
    All this food sounds yummy ladies image
  • Roo1983Roo1983 Posts: 416
    Will have to give the becks blue a go then, reckon the remaining 3 bottles of cobra will be washed down the sink!

So, yesterday I had:

- porridge with blueberries and a herbalife shake

- ham and cheese sandwich, cereal bar, small bag of crisps, tangerine

- half a mint aero

- homemade chicken and bacon caesar salad with the most croutons you've ever seen image

Doing a smoked haddock risotto tonight from the good food 'healthy' app, it's really yum and tastes naughtier than it is.

xxx
    Yesterday:

B: Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and dried raisins

L: McDonalds (OOOOPS!) I did have a diet coke though image

D: Chicken kiev, brocolli, baked potato.

S: low fat yoghurt

I'm gonna be extra good today to make up for that hideous downfall yesterday
  • Tigger1978Tigger1978 Posts: 235
    Love reading these but it makes me realise how much I eat! I've put on under 2 stone and am 29 weeks so hoping thats okay, eeek! Doing pregnancy yoga twice a week and I've got a pregnancy cardio DVD but in all honesty I only started it last week and have done it once! Must. Get. Motivated!

I drink heaps of tea and coffee as I work from home but have switched to decaff. Def don't drink enough water need to work on that for sure.

Yesterday:

Breakfast - bitesize shredded wheat and banana

1 slice toast and honey

Lunch: Chicken and veg soup, ham and coleslaw sandwich, 2 satsumas (usually crips too but had none!)

1 apple, caramel wafer.....then tea and heaps of minstrels at my friends!

Dinner - haddock with cous cous, mini corn, sugar snap peas and tomotoes....this was my effort to be healthy after a weekend of SUGAR!!! image
    TODAY:

B - Super seeded toast with LF spread & marmite, innocent kiwi smoothie, a plum, fromage frais, pregnacare plus

S - a satsuma

L - cheese salad and a wholemeal pitta, fat free yoghurt, satsuma, 2 slices malt loaf

S - fun sized mar bar at super long and boring staff meeting

D - spaghetti hoops on super seeded toast

Read that the baby's bones are starting to harden, hence the masses of yoghurt/cheese. No wonder my thighs have started to rub together. It's gross!!!
  • Flossy17Flossy17 Posts: 289
    wow ladies, you hardly eat anything! My appetite has grown over the last few weeks massively.

Just as an example, today I had...

Breakfast - bowl of bran flakes, special k cereal bar, large bunch of grapes.

Snack - pack of crisps

Lunch - 2 x chicken sandwhiches (4 pieces of bread) banana, apple, yoghurt

Tea - spagetti bolognaise

Dessert - cornetto

More snacks!! another pack of crisps and a chocolate bar.

Now I look like a massive pig! image
    you don't look like a pig! My list was really long yesterday and today but i am actually hungry so baba needs the food! Plus i'm trying not to think of it as a diet but to think of what i'm eating daily.

Lilleauk i have a bit of a cheese obsession too image

OK Tues 13th:

B: Special K, semi skimmed milk, sugar and cuppa

S: Tall glass of innocent smoothie

L: Cheese omlette with olive & balsamic salad, Hula Hoops, 2 kiddie size formage frais

S: 4 (OOPS!) fig biscuits, decaf coffee

D: Scampi, chips & peas followed by cornetto

Managed another 4 bottles of water today ... trips to the loo - lost count image

Now: Ovaltine (love my ovaltine!)

Exercise: 30mins of pilates
  • Smiler85Smiler85 Posts: 283
    Hi Ladies,

Thought I would join in! Don't worry Flossy, I eat like a horse! My work mates find it hilarious as I used to be very strict but now eat anything I can .. albeit my meals have to be fairly bland as I get horrific acid/heartburn if I so much as sniff a tomato or garlic hehe!

Today I've eaten:-

B - Bran Flakes with sultanas

Snack - Banana, homemade victoria sponge

Lunch - Chicken Salad roll, low fat yoghurt

Snacks - Sultanas & Nuts, Apple

Tea - Chicken Wrapped in Bacon & Cheese with Jacket spud & Salad

Dessert - scoop of icecream

And now I neeeed chocolate image

To be fair, this has been quite a good day!

xxx
  • Hi ladies, thought I would join. Wow I am soooo unhealthy compared to you ladies! image

Breakfast: Rice krispies and orange juice

Snack: small oeice of cake (it was a colleages b'day at work, would've been rude not too) and a cup of tea, which I only had a mouthful of.

Lunch: Tomato soup with 2 pieces of wholemeal bread, an apple and a packet of mini chedders. A glass of water

snack: 2 biscuits in the staff meeting.

snack: another pack of mini chedders and a cup of decaf tea.

Tea: Shepherds pie, broccoli, pint of water.

In a mo Im going to have aonther cup of tea before bed.

Wow, how unhealthy am I?!

Are we allowed to eat ham during pregnancy? I saw that Roo had a cheese and ham sandwich, would love one of those for my lunch.