Forum home You & Your Baby

Folic Acid

We are due to ttc end of August/sept but i was wondering when it is best to start taking folic acid?

I have read that it can be taken up to 6 months before ttc but this seemed like a rather looong time to me!

;) xx

• NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    I just took plain tesco own brand folic acid before we TTC then moved to sanatogen mums to be when I actually fell pregnant. Plain folic acid is pretty cheap so didn't think it would hurt!
  • FloFlo Posts: 432
    A minimum of 3 months is recommended, but a lot of Doctors now recommend that all women take it every day regardless of the ttc-status as it reduces the risk of cervical cancer and cervical abnormalities.

Maybe you could take folic acid from now (it's less than a £1 in Asda for a months worth I think), and then you could switch to a more expensive pregnacare tablet when you actually start as there are other vitamins that Drs now recommend (like b12 and D).
  • I dont take it yet am i at risk for something? Im buying some at weekend
  • i didnt know doctors are now reccomending that we take it! image

Will definately carry on and like you say get pregnacare when we start.

Lilymou its best to take it as it helps with babies development. Obviously some women dont actually plan on becoming pregnant but when they find out they are their docs advise them to take it.

xx
  • MrsSimonMrsSimon Posts: 264
    ladies just noticed that asda are giving away three months supply of folic acid to pregnant ladies and those ttc. thought this might be useful.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I started once I came off the pill as folic acid helps prevent spina bifida the development of this part of baby is in first few weeks before most people know they are pregnant hence why should take it when ttc.

not been advised to keep taking post pregnancy though
  • oh theres no Asda near me image i might look on line..

well ive started taking it this week but actually forgot today! d'oh! will take it when i get home with my other vitamin that im also trying to get in the habit of taking!

thanks for the advise and replies girls

xx
  • Meadows82Meadows82 Posts: 43
    i'm taking preganacare pre concepption already as advised by my doctor as I have a B12 deficiency which could lead to early fetal loss so want to be in the best shape poss when we start ttc in Sept image x