colic - advice & tips

Hi ladies ,

Looking for a bit of support & advice. Mya is 2 and a half weeks and been suffering really bad colic for some days. She also had constipation but I have swapped onto aptamil comfort and the constipation seems better (touch wood) .

However throughout the day Mya screams and crys randomly then passes wind (we wind her) . This usually becomes more frequent between 5-8pm and 2-7am, as you can imagine we are hetting next to no sleep. She cries uncontrollabley and there's no comforting her until the wind hss passed.

Along with the aptamil comfort (for colic & constipation) we are using anti colic bottles, dentinox colic drops and belly massage.

Has anyone got any advice or tips? Anything would be helpful.

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Hiya

Have a look and see if any of the children's centres etc near you run any classes on tummy trouble, several near me do, unfortunately it can take a while for the aptimal and dentinox to start working, over a week in some cases so persevere, you say massaging her tummy what type of massage strokes are you doing? Such as circular, across etc
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Hey, I've obv not had my baby yet but its something I have read up about as my little brother had it and my mum had an awful time with him. Apart from water, infacol, colief, you could try different positions such as 'tiger in a tree' there's a vid on you tube -

The other thing I've heard about is something called cranial osteopathy,which some people swear by, you might want to Google it for more info!
  • JvLwithBabyBoyJvLwithBabyBoy Posts: 2,740 New bride
    sounds like what my son had (hes nearly 9 months now). you can try belly massage - with gentle pressure rub clockwise around her belly button. or lie her on her back and take hold of her feet. gently lift them up at 90 degree angle and gently circle them. learned this in baby massage. i also found that letting him lie on his tummy in general helped too. the pressure on his tummy helped get the wind out. especially if you carry them across your forearm, head tucked into your elbow. it passed around 10-12 weeks though. x
  • m0nkeym00m0nkeym00 Posts: 841
    Thankyou,

The massage iv been doing is padding down her tummy, circular motion following the intestines (clockwise) and lifting her legs to her chest. It did make her trump, but she still had a lot of wind after.

I can hear it in her belly image

I looked at the cranial osteopathy, seems pricey but then what price would you put on your babys comfort.

Has anyone tried gripe water? X
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    I have tried gripe water and it works for my son but it does state that you can't use it until lo is 2 months old (Woodward's brand). Have you tried infacol? Also a position that I found quite helpful was to place my son on my lap face down and rub his back that way, he would always wind that way as well as in a sitting up position.
  • m0nkeym00m0nkeym00 Posts: 841
    Yeh, tried that position. She doesn't struggle to bring wind up after a feed, she normally does 1-2 big burps but still has loads more wind (burp and trumps) throughout the day which cause here severe discomfort. You can hear the wind in her belly too.

I was looking at the woodwards gripe water and it says from 1month, so have 2 more weeks until I could use it, but if she is the same its worth a try.

Not tried infacol, went for dentinox as it had better write ups. People seem to find infacol worked at first but then stopped working. The majority recommended dentinox over infacol but I might have to try it.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Sarah as frustrating as it is give everything a week to work together as the new milk dentinox massage etc will all help but it takes days for the little ones to get used to it
  • NowMrsMNowMrsM Posts: 536
    It so frustrating isn't it... For Noah we found infacol really helped so every baby is different...

We tried gripe water once when I couldn't find infacol anywhere and was desperate but he spat it out- compared to quite pleasant orange infacol the gripe water I got tasted really strong and herbal so I'm not surprised!

Xx
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Isn't gripe water just sugar water? Can't understand why the say not suitable. I don't think there's an awful lot more that can be done though. Like I say my mum had an awful time and it was hard to see my brother in such distress but she got through it and I'm sure you will, as cebpickle says try the groups sometimes talking to other mums helps. They do say colic eases around 3 months, so something to keep at the front of your mind xxx
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566
    My son used to spit out gripe water at first, think it's an acquired taste but the benefit of it is that it works for him. He is fine with infacol though and it easier to administer. Plus gripe water has to be used within 2 weeks of opening.