Forum home You & Your Baby

Fragmin Users - Collection/ disposal of your sharps box?

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering what to do with my very full fragmin sharps box. I had to have 6 weeks worth of daily injections and now I have finished I can't seem to get anyone to collect my box.

My GP won't take it, pharmacies won't take it, my MW and HV can't take it, I've tried to arrange a collection with local authority anf they've told me to contact my GP! I'm wondering if I should go back to the hosp where baby was born and drop it off there - surely they have the facilities?!

Any help would be appreciated.

Chel xxx

• DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659 New bride

That's crazy!!  Talk about people not taking responsibility image

If I were you, I would contact whoever provided you with it - was it the hospital? - and speak to them.  It's ridiculous as not everyone would be so responsible about disposing of it if so many health professionals refused to help.  Good luck though x

• Your GP of midwife should be happy to take it, did they give you a reason why they couldn't? Failing that just take it back to the hospital.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I wasn't actually given a sharps bin they forgot so i took them all in a bag to my 6 week appointment at gp though both midwife or hv would have taken if actually in yhe bin.
  • Your local pharmacist should take it...if they refuse I would suggest contacting NHS direct or your local PCT/Health Authority and getting them to sort it.

• MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    What? Madness. My mw took mine.
  • MrsKW2011MrsKW2011 Posts: 1,592
    I know that you have already tried a pharmacy, but was it one that provides a needle exchange service?

If so, I'm pretty certain that they can not refuse to take them!

Good luck trying to get it sorted xxx
  • millscm1millscm1 Posts: 308
    Pharmacies cannot take back sharps bins, they are well within their rights to refuse. My gp also refused!

I had to ring the environmental department at my local council and arrange collection. They were fab, I had to leave it outside my front door and they collected it really early, they also offer a replacement if I needed one.

I hope you manage to sort it x x