Forum home You & Your Baby

alcohol and trying to conceive

hi i just wondered what everyone is doing regarding this. im not a massive drinker but i do like a few drinks on the weekend maybe 2/3 glasses of wine, i have been researching on the internet and it seems as though even a small amount of alcohol can have a detrimental effect of fertility. i just feel that is can takes months/years sometimes for people to conceive . its not that i cant enjoy myself without a drink its just that family/friends will defo start asking questions if i stop totally and me and hubby wanted to keep the whole baby thing private at the moment so as not to put to much pressure on ourselves. for example i have a girly nite in planned soon which will involve a few bottles of wine and munchies, where does this leave me. i know i may sound selfish etc as its a small price to pay to a beautiful baby, its just that i dont want to change my habits totally as its like a constant reminder that were trying and i get stressed about it not happening. i hope i have explained myself properly, whats everyone else think?

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    As long as with sensible amounts you should be fine and the odd night lie the one in will be ok. It is about balance. Be as healthy as you can be but let your hair down too
  • picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141

When we were trying, at first, I would enjoy myself up until the point at which I believe I had ovulated then I'd stop drinking until AF arrived. After a few months, TTC started to take over and everytime AF arrived, I'd feel silly for being so controlling over my drinking.I think it's important to remember that life carries on, you can try and eat healthily etc, but I don't think 2 or 3 glasses of wine on a weekend will have a detrimental effect on TTC at all. If anything, being relaxed and having fun will only help you to conceive. And you can rest assured that in the first few weeks of life, any fertiliszed egg/embryo will not be sharing your blood supply and so a few little tipples, won't really matter!

I think it only becomes a problem if you're drinking heavily.

On the month we conceived, it was actually a drunken relaxed night that did the trick!

• EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    I was going to say, loads of babies are conceived when people are drunk! I'm not saying take up binge drinking but like you say, you don't want to raise suspicion or give up your social life . Biologically, the baby isn't developed enough at first to even receive the alcohol so as long as you stop when you get a bro you'll be fine.

Also try not to read too much as it makes it stressful. Give yourself at least 6 months of fun before you track ovulation if you can, much more relaxing for you both!
  • MrsDVMrsDV Posts: 322

Definitely don't change your habits - TTC can take over your life, so try not to let it!  It doesn't sound like you're a massive drinker anyway, so I'd carry on as you are.  Lots of people start taking a supplement like Pregnacare Conception or similar, which can give you a psychological boost, if nothing else, and prepare you with the folic acid and other vitamins you need for the pregnancy.  And it's easy to do this without telling anyone!

Good luck!

• Clarabel1983Clarabel1983 Posts: 194
    For the first few months I would drink (but only a little) before I ovulated and then nothing after until I got AF... I found it really upsetting that people would give me knowing looks, make remarks and assume I was pregnant! After a couple of months I chilled out (though never went over 3 glasses of wine) and it worked first time image