Forum home You & Your Baby

Wrist sucking - any ideas as to why?

MrsQM2MrsQM2 Posts: 3,723
William is nearly 12 weeks and has this week discovered his wrists/forearms and is sucking them. I don't know if it is a bit of a comfort thing, he's not doing it whilst he's upset, just at random times! if he had some power in s sucking, I'm sure he'd be giving himself a hickey!! I've sometimes given him a dummy to stop himsuckinghis wrists, but he doesn't take this all the time. Is this somethin I should worry about? Any ideas as to why? He does suffer from extremely dry skin, and we cover him in Vaseline in the evening and aqueous cream during the day as per the hv's advice to keep ezcma at bay. Thanks, Jenni xx

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786

Hi

This is pretty normal, while he might not be teething they may be moving and it is part of self discovery to be honest.  Caitlin is teething and often will chew her wrists or fingers even if there is something else to chew on

• MRMRS2014MRMRS2014 Posts: 1,279

Hi, this is quite normal, our daughter did it a little when she was around 12/13 weeks, i put it down to discovory and maybe comfort, as once she found her fingers and thumb she started sucking them quite alot. I wouldnt worry about it, but if you are maybe just mention it to the HV next time you see her. x

• MrsQM2MrsQM2 Posts: 3,723
    Thanks ladies! Helpful as always xx