Forum home You & Your Baby

Immunisation - please read!!

Hi, I haven't been on here for a while... Our little boy was born on the 4th of June and was a healthy little boy for the first 3 weeks of his life. He then developed a cough, which the doctor said not to worry about unless he wasn't weeing, feeding or had a temp, within 4 days we went back to the GP as he could latch on due to his cough. We were sent to A&E and he was diagnosed with potential whooping cough, 3 days at the local hospital and the infection took over his lungs and he was struggling. He was put on a ventilator and rushed to Great Ormond St Hospital and we've been in Intensive Care for 3.5weeks. He is now doing ok, not breathing on his own. it has been the worst month of our lives. I just wanted to put this on here to urge everyone to have their babies immunised when it's time. There is a rise in whooping cough at the moment and I would not wish this on anyone.

• picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I hope he gets better soon.

I read about this on the BBc news today. Lot's of cases of Whooping Cough apparently.

Here's the article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19013016

• RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262

OMG - sending you lots of good wishes for your little man. He is obviously a fighter and am sure he will be fine. Must be awful for you and your families. Will def be getting our little lady vaccinated as soon as she can be x x x 

• That sounds horrendous. So sorry to hear you've been through that. If its any help to you my brother had whooping cough as a child, although not as severe as you've described but he is absolutely fine and had no long term effects because of it. He wasn't a healthy child and also had mumps!

My wee girl has had a cough and cold for a few weeks and while the cold has cleared she still coughs. I was told to stop giving her calpol and if it hasn't cleared in 6 weeks (!!!) to go back, she's 12 weeks this weekend and it was 2 weeks ago we were given this advice. I think she's been really chesty since she was born and we still steam her every other night to see if it clears it but no luck so far. Your story has encouraged me to speak to the doctor again on Monday when she gets her next set of injections.

Take care and best wishes to your wee man. Sounds like he's a fighter xx
  • Sazzlepants1Sazzlepants1 Posts: 413
    Thought I would comment just to keep this post at the top!

Thinking of you and hope your little man gets better soon, he sounds like a fighter!

Xx
  • Marbs11Marbs11 Posts: 392
    Hope your little boy gets better very soon x
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Oh my god that sounds horrendous, well.five for being so.strong and thank you for drawing attention to it. Hope he gets better very soon xxx
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    *well done that was meant to say
  • beesbees Posts: 835

So sorry to hear about your little boy. I also had whooping cough as a child and am absolutely fine now.

I am a Primary school teacher and have seen a number of cases over the last couple of years. There have also been a number of cases of measles so I completely second what you are saying.

Sending hugs

B

• AliciaKate85AliciaKate85 Posts: 841
    Hope he gets better very soon xx
  • shellycrook2bshellycrook2b Posts: 1,299
    Oh gosh that is awful news I am so sorry to hear your little man is so poorly.

Sending you lots of love and best wishes and hope you get him home soon xxx
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    How horrible for you! I'm glad he's on the mend now though.

I also really respect you for posting on here. immunisations have almost eradicated some of these diseases so I find it really frustrating when people don't bother. Even though I had mmr I got mumps aged 20 because lots of my peer group didn't have the vaccine.

We had willow vaccinated on Wednesday and she's suffered no ill effects, at all. Sending get well soon vibes to your little boy xx
  • MrsDunksMrsDunks Posts: 1,027
    Oh Michelle that's awful, I'm so sorry you have had to deal with that so early in your little ones life. Glad he seems to be better and is breathing on his own though, and thank you for posting to warn us all Xxx
  • MrsH2128MrsH2128 Posts: 566

Hope he is better soon, so sorry to hear what you have all been through.  It was on the news yesterday about a rise in cases.  Think babies are only fully protected once they have had the first 3 sets of jabs. xxx