Teething - and dribble rash

Will's top two teeth are taking so long to come through! We can see them under the gum as two huge bulges and they've been like that at least 2 weeks if not longer. He's soaking through 4 dribble bibs a day. He can't sleep. He's really clingy and fretful. Anybody got any magic cure to help bring them through? Any ideas to help with his discomfort? Any idea how long they should take? And any magic tips to help the rash all over his cheeks?! Feeling so helpless for my poor little love. TIA x

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786

Hi Gwen

We are in a similar position.  Though top and bottom like it and not sure if either will come through.  One thing that seems to give relief is icy apple puree, I have some apple puree ice cubes and I melt them until they are like slush, she likes them and does help.  Some days bonjela helps, but other days we may have to give calpol.

With the rash on the cheeks I put a little bit of sudo cream on at night for a couple of days and it seemed to clear it.

• MiaLeaceyMiaLeacey Posts: 1,184
    We have found frozen banana brings him a bit of relief too but nothing lasts that long.

My FIL says he should chew on some sandpaper but I can't bring myself to do that!
    Ouch some people swear by biccie pegs to chew on.
  • MrsDunksMrsDunks Posts: 1,027
    Hi Gwen,

Obviously have no experience yet but I remember when my wisdom teeth were coming through dentist told me to brush the gums to help them come through and prevent infection... So just googled 'brushing baby's gums' and various sites (inc NHS) advise this too. I guess the brushing kind of exfoliates the gums to help the teeth come through!

Have you got some bibs that are flannel on top with plastic backing?

Xxx
    Have got a mam baby toothbrush it has rubber brushes each end and it works for a bit
  • MrsKW2011MrsKW2011 Posts: 1,592

Hey ladies,

Loving the advice re brushing gums - my LO is just coming up to 3 weeks old but already his bottom front 2 teeth have cut through and we couldnt use anything to try and soothe the poor little guy because all the teething gels are from 2 months +.

One of my friends adviced freezing a cotton bud to rub along the gums - probably not as good as the frozen food that you ladies can use - but just thought id share this idea incase anyone else's little ones start teething before the 2 month mark!!!

xxx