should i buy a new mattress for my 2nd?

Hi all. Just wanted peoples opinions. Our eldest is 19 months so is still in her cotbed and will be for a while yet so my sister has given me our nieces cotbed and matress for our new baby. Problem is my sister got given it off my mums work collegue so we don't how ling they used it for and now my sister has used it for 2 years before giving it to us. The cotbed is fine but would you buy a new mattress even though it is still spotless. Its a foam matress with waterproof cover so still very clean with no cracks. Hubby is adament it will be fine to use but im not sure considering we don't know who had it before my niece even though she is fine and used it! there is so much conflicting advise about whether reusing does or does not increase risk of cot death but if i did reuse and something happened i would always think what if! also we brought the most expensive sprung etc one for our first so i feel bad giving this one a cheap foam/plastic one! hubby thinks im just wanting to spend money when its not needed and being paronoid so just wanted to know what other people would do?

• picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141

I'd buy a new one because like you if anything happened, I'd never be able to forgive myself! Whether it's needed or not, I don't know.

• I'd want to buy a new one too. Or could you give baby evies mattress and use the used one with evie now she's older??x
  • jojomamalacejojomamalace Posts: 286

I had the same dilemma, i felt that the price of a mattress was nothing in comparison to the price of my babys life, however my 18 month old daughter moved into her bed when my son was born so we did just re-use her mattress. My son stayed in moses basket/crib until 4 months as it was a big one so i felt happy re-using it, i turned it upside down as my daughter only slept in one place!

It's so hard, i probably would have bought a new one if i was putting a newborn straight in there though.

Sorry i haven't really helped. xx

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786

I would get a new one if 2 other children have used it.  Mattresses only have a certain lifespan anyway but look and see if you can get a mattress in any sales, we got ours from Kiddicare in their sale.