Weaning support

Hi all

On the back of the success of brestfeeding support and as many of us have started or are approaching weaning I thought I would start a thread where people can come and ask questions, share ideas and get information about weaning.

For those starting out I can really recommend the free Cow and Gate weaning guide as a useful tool.  I also like the book Weaning made easy by Rana Conway and the Heinz little recipe book has been really useful, Caitlin has liked all the recipes I made from that since it came through the post

• MrsDunksMrsDunks Posts: 1,027
    Good idea Claire! X
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Yes good idea, just ordered the cow and gate guide in prep! Xxx
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    Great idea. Thanks for your earlier recommendation of the rana Conway book, it seems good so far & easy to read. I was going to wait til around 26 wks but now nit sure as it says to start around 5 months in the boom

Xx
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I found some bits like baby rice and fruit or veg purees it helped to introduce those a bit earlier. As from 6 months babies need more nutrients from food. Also less pressure if you try some things at 22 weeks and lo doesnt take to it you have 4 more weeks to play with
  • MrsQM2MrsQM2 Posts: 3,723
    Were starting tomorrow! William is 23 weeks today, and I was originally going to wait until he was 26 weeks, but he's ready now. Porridge for breakfast, oh yummy!!
    Be prepared for the fun and the mess!
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    I'm thinking of adding some meat & fish in this week.

For some reason this is quite scary.

She had broccoli yesterday which looked hideous mashed up, but went down well. I've also given her pear puree with a risk dissolved in it, to add some texture & this,smells lovely, like a pear crumble.

Good luck Jen, I'm sure William will love it!
    In the heinz book there was brocolli and sweet potato mashed together with some milk and Caitlin loved it.

I have found for meat initially then mince is easier to blend up and Caitlin took to it better than other meat. Now she is bigger not such an issue. for fish i cooked a fish finger and took the batter off. She has had bits of salmon too but not gibrn yuna yet no idea why as have been buying it in spring water
    Hiya,

Just looking for abit of advice, I was going to wait until 26 weeks to wean chloe but yhe last couple of weeks she's become increasing difficult taking her bottles, she leaving between 1-3 oz and taking ages to feed! This morning, after leaving 3oz before bed last night, she's left 3oz this morning aswell, point blank refused anymore! Do you think she's ready for weaning?

Xx
    How many weeks is she? Could it be teething? I found Caitlin got more hungry before we st. arted wanting to feed 2 hourly round the clock for 2 weeks. I only say thia as initially you dont drop any milk feeds. but we bf don't know if different for others that bottle feed

she'll be 23 weeks on thursday so was wondering whether to start at the weekend. She's been teething a while, some days worse than others, but it's never really stopped her eating, she's always been a guzzler up until a few weeks back. It's like she's bored of milk. i really don't know what to do.

• martinej1martinej1 Posts: 688
    Roo - Toby has been the same with his bottles. It's like he gets bored at the end and pushes the bottle away. I think it's more to do with teething to be honest.

When I saw the pediatricion he urged me to wait until 24 weeks.

As she is nearly at 24 weeks I think I would be tempted to still start at the weekend and see How u get on. Just take it very slowly incase it affects her reflux.

Do u think it's ok to keep to comfort formula whilst weaning?

Does anyone have experience of BLW? 2 people have recommended it to me but It seems a bit daunting to me - not to mention messy!!

We let Toby suck on a runner bean yesterday and he loved it lol!
    Hiya,

Just looking for abit of advice, I was going to wait until 26 weeks to wean chloe but yhe last couple of weeks she's become increasing difficult taking her bottles, she leaving between 1-3 oz and taking ages to feed! This morning, after leaving 3oz before bed last night, she's left 3oz this morning aswell, point blank refused anymore! Do you think she's ready for weaning?

Xx
    I read all about blw and it sounded great but i am not relaxed enough to let Caitlin choose whether to eat or not. i do finger foods, more now she is older and can eat more things with her fingers and chew but it took a while. Also i couldnt work out where porridge etc sat and wanted her to learn you do eat some thing from a spoon so we sort of do a mixture as per Rana Conway book weaning made wasy
  • lbarr10lbarr10 Posts: 586
    I had a weaning workshop today and got told that if your baby can sit up by themselves then you can start weaning.

Re bottles, Chloe is on 3 meals a day and has started to leave about 3oz of her bottles, I then give her food then she seems to take the rest.

I'm starting to give Chloe some food to feed herself with, got told of for giving her rusks but she really likes them. Maybe just give her 1 a week. She had some toast today and loved it.
    I give Caitlin rusk often on a Sunday morning. there are worst things to give them. if they were that bad they wouldnt be able to sell them as baby food
  • lbarr10lbarr10 Posts: 586
    That's what I said. I guess it's te same as us having a chocolate treat. Not the west thing in the world x
    Thats ridiculous! Aren't they basically just milk??! I'm afraid I won't be taking any notice of things like that! Of course I'm not going to feed him crap but like you say the wouldn't sell them if they were so bad.
    For things to be allowed as baby food there are standards they have to meet. Some things make sense and others don't
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431

Surely rusks aren't that bad! I think society is totally crazy about children & food. As a teacher I see horrendous packed lunches, energy drinks, whole packets of biscuits and family bars of chocolate. This is why kids are fat. That and our love of screens and convenience food. It seems you have to either eat rubbish or go totally the other way & just eat vegetable smoothies.

Anyway, roo, we had that with milk last week so I think it was teeth related. I was mixing her milk with a bit of baby rice or (,God forbid) a rusk so I could spoon it into her, which worked ok. Was worried that her milk is more nutritious than her vegetable dinners. I'm still working on getting her to drink water. She has a little cup but the water mainly ends up down her front as she let's it roll out of her mouth!

It is ridiculous did any of your weaning workshops say no gravy? As too much salt.

You are right Ellie i used to teach and some of the lunchboxes were rubbish. mind yiu one school pre Jamie Oliver campaign had garlic bread as a veg option for school dinners.

I think it is about balance
  • tonixxx1tonixxx1 Posts: 339

Just after a bit of advice, I've been weaning my little girl since 19 and a half weeks, she's now 25 and a half weeks and is doing brilliantly with purees there hasnt been anything she has refused yet.

Just wondering when do I change from smooth purees to more lumpy ones? I've mashed a bananna up with a fork and that has small little bits in and she has been fine with that just dont no what to do with other things

Thanks in advance xx

Hiya,

Yeah think you're all right, it is her teeth. She's been very whingy the past couple of days! Out of her 34 oz of milk a day she prob had 24 yest! So far today a little better.

Not sure whether to start weaning on sat or wait a few more weeks!

As for hv, they really starting to get on my nerves! At the weaning talk I went to few wks back, they only said to do blw, & can only do purees if okayed by a health professional such as a paediatrician!! And if you want to wean earlier to spk to them first!! I said to my hubby, as if I'm going to go and get permission from them.if I want to wean her!!

Xx
    Toni as soon as they will eat more lumpy things then better. hv advised me to definately make sure you are giving lumpier things by 7 months. also bits of finger foods to chew. Can still have some smooth but good yo get started
    Haha Roo otherwise the weaning police come round and get youimage
  • MrsKIrwinMrsKIrwin Posts: 400
    Ditzidancer that made me laugh!!!!! Trying to get Jake to eat lumps and it ain't happening so getting slightly stressed but that just made me see how silly I've been lol. Gonna smuggle some puree out of the freezer hope they don't catch me lol
  • martinej1martinej1 Posts: 688
    It's all just matter of opinion at the end of the day. I will just do what works for me and Toby.

I assumed that the HV would promote pur??es not Blw...

I'm going to a class next week and will prob get told something different to you!
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262

Our HV did a session on weaning last week and told us their stance has changed and been told now not to promote BLW but to advise a mix on both spoon fed and BLW as they were finding children wouldnt eat things with a smooth consistency!!!

Our workshop was advising a mixture and it is working for us x
    Lmao ditzidancer, that made me chuckle. I'm going to do a combination of both methods, but the hv's here say blw & don't advise purees or using any utensils file toddler age!! But I just can't do that!