Forum home You & Your Baby

Baby meal ideas

2»

• That's what Toby had for lunch today. Just added some butter and cream cheese to the egg to give it a bit more flavour.

Out of interest how often do You all give meat? Once or twice a day?
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    We have done scrambled egg sometimes with grated cheese or cheese and choped up cherry tomatoes. I have also broken the yolk of an egg and poached it then cut into strips as finger food
  • ditzidancerditzidancer Posts: 1,145
    Oh yes bit of cream cheese would make it tastier thanks! I need to get a list together of basic things good for combining food i always seem to be missing something! From Annabel K stuff it looks like its butter, milk and cheese is there anything else you use all the time?

Weve only just started with the meat and stuff Emma so cant really help with your question but id imagine some sort of protein with lunch and dinner is good? x
  • I always have cream to hand now as it helps moisten a meal and can also be used with some fruit for desert.

I've found the annabel Karmel recipes a bit too much to be honest. Like u say there is always an ingredient u wouldn't normally have in the cupboard.

Other good things to have a stock of are tomato puree, passata (chopped tomatoes), natural yoghurt

I keep stocks of tinned fruit incase fresh stuff goes bad, breadsticks for snacks are good.

I also keep bags of dried apricots in changing bag for snacks.

Does anyone else know what other dried fruits they can have. As everything except apricots and prunes seem to be sweetened which I guess is a no no?
    We got little boxes of raisins in the baby section cant remember name they might be sweetened but better than crisps and biscuits. Caitlin now eats pieces of apple. We usually have some cow and gate fruit pots and some Ellas kitchen smoothies in yhe cupbiard. Dairylea triangles as one triangle is the right size.

We don't always give meat or fish at two meals but will have beans or cheese or poss lentils at the other meal. Some days i do give twice or give tuna at lunch meat at tea

Had to share this receipe from Annabel Karmel, not seen Wills face light up since Cauliflower Cheese!  It's for chicken in tomato (hubby gave it a fancy name but it's just chicken in tomato sauce to me!) so nothing major... it's carrot, potato (but i used sweet potato as didn't have normal one in), canned chopped tomatoes, chicken stock (i used the baby heinz stock cube) and chicken.  He LOVED it, which i'm quite pleased about coz we love tomato in this house!!  Might make it again for all of us image

Tonight we had salmon, brocolli carrots and cous cous and did it for all 3 of us. Caitlin couldnt get emough of the salmon. Cous cous was tricky though but she kept eating it so must of liked it

Chicken thing sounds good Nat
  • lbarr10lbarr10 Posts: 586

Nat - Chloe loves the Chicken dish from Annabel Karmel. I make it every week for her. I also substitue the chicken for Salmon and she loves that too.

I make the Annabel Karmel Lentil curry the other day and she loved that as well. Really easy and really tasty. Just saute an onion and carrots, add in lentils and some curry powder then add in water, although I used chicken stock when i made it with chicken. Once its ready mash up with some natural yoghurt. Chloes had it a few times with and without rice and eats it all up every time.

Oooo will have to make the lentil curry, is it on the website?

Anyone got any good sandwich fillings?

I got it out of the Annabel Karmel book cant find it on the website. Will look it out tonight and write it up for you.

Thanks very much.

The recipe for Lentil curry was actually in a booklet I got at a weaning class called Fun First Foods. Its a Scottish Executive publication.

Ingredients: 1 dessertspoon vegetable oil, 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped, 1 small carrot, scrubbed grated or finely chopped (I grated it as it cooks quicker), 100g split red lentils, 1/2 teaspoon of mild curry powder (not paste) 200mls water, 1 small carton full-fat natural yoghurt.

Method: . Heat Oil and gently soften onion,

. Stir in carrot, lentils and curry powder,

. Add water, stir and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer  for 15-20 minutes. Stir regularly and add a little more water if needed. The mixture should be quite thick but not dry.

. When the lentils are soft, remove from heat and stir in natural yoghurt.

. Mash as requried and serve with rice.

xx

Hi ladies does anyone have any tips or nice family reciepes that we all can eat? At the mo we are eating different meals but would be great if i could stick something in the oven we could all eat. Esp as im back at work.next week. I thought of cottage pie and spag bol. We do a lot in the slow cooker if we cook with the heinz stock cubes and dont add salt im presuming it will be ok for Will? Is it realky just a case of anything goes but obv watch salt and spices?

Also dinner time ive introduced mini sandwiches and might introduce bit of pasta instead of the veg is that ok? Just how we tend to eat lunch time. hes still getting pleanty if fruit and veg and milk of course.

Any tips appreciated xxx
  • Islas favourite meal is sausage casserole, a firm family favourite image x
  • martinej1martinej1 Posts: 688
    Yes we use the slow cooker for beef casserole which we all eat.

Another favourite is pork and apple meatballs with tomato and basil sauce.

At the mo I still give meat at lunch and just veg/carbs for dinner, as I found he slept better when not having meat for dinner.

But gradually I will introduce sandwiches for lunch and then normal dinners in the evening

I've been a bit wary of sausages as the meat tends to be very processed, but would like to give them to him. What sausages can I use?
  • We use pork or beef sausages from the local butcher x
    We use butcher sausages too and Caitlin loves them. Bolognase is a favourite made with either beef or turkey mince, beef stew, the last few i have made i have used low salt oxo cubes don't add salt. Do still add herbs though
  • tonixxx1tonixxx1 Posts: 339

What is everyones favourtie meals for 10month olds to cook in bulk so can be froze and reheated. I dont get in from work till 530 so its too late to cook anything fresh for my litle one xx

• roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    Ah sausages, Chloe's only had a little taste og one of mine. Was wary with the salt content. Do you know what the butchers sausages are for salt content?

Chloe has sandwiches most lunch times.

For bulk, spaghetti bol, shephards pie, beef casserole, potato hash.
    I agree bolognase, pots of stew etc. Usually freeze some portions of ours
    Thank you for suggestions image think we will be doing doing fair bit of freezing too xxx