Perineal Massage

Hi ladies

sorry if this is TMI!!

I am 34+ weeks and attempted to do a perineal massage today, with zero success. Not even sure how to reach down there comfortably with with my thumbs as bump is in the way, and even though I know where area is, I struggled to even put my thumbs where they were meant to go, and then did not know what else to do, even though I have read up instructions etc.

So before I try anymore, what are you thoughts and experiences in how to do it, and would you or have any of you attempted it, and if yes, has it helped with labour?

Many thanks

x

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I didn't do it but ended up with episiotomy and ventouse so don't think it would havr assisted me as they would have made a cut anyway. It is meant to prevent or lesson likelihood of tearing so worth trying again
  • EllieKate83EllieKate83 Posts: 1,431
    There is an exercise I learnt at the antenatal class I went to that is brilliant, seriously none of us had any major 'trauma' down there.

I'm not sure you can do it if you have issues like spd but if you're ok mobility wise it stretches the perineum meaning its more likely to be able to accommodate stretching on the day.

Anyway, get down on hands and knees like a box position, any bring one foot level with your hand on same side (a bit like you're in a starting block) then very slowly whilst breathing deeply push your weight forward to straighten your back.leg, then back over your back leg away from your hands. do 10 each side every day.

Not sure on the actual massage but I swear this exercise helps.
  • picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141
    It's not the most romantic of things but getting your hubby to do it is by far the easiest thing to do! You wanna stretch it with your thumb so it feels a bit stingy. Like how it feels if you pull both sides of your mouth towards your ears. Use some sort of oil. For it to make any difference you have to do it really often. Waterbirths, squatting to push and paying attention to when the midwife says not to push, all help prevent tearing.
  • MrsDunksMrsDunks Posts: 1,027
    Teehee, I wondered how this was humanly possible after a tentative try as well! No magic answer here... But I had a 2nd degree tear with 30 or so stitches... Barely felt it (was only on gas & air) and can't even remember being stitched up (just a sting from local anaesthetic in my lady bits!) as I was so in awe of the baby in my arms! I took neurofen twice when home next day to take the edge off the swelling but really everything felt fine down there after 3 days. Stitches dissolved after 2 weeks and I DTD with hub after 3 weeks!

I know I was probably lucky, but just thought I'd offer a 'positive' experience of tearing as I was terrified from all the stories I had heard! Midwives help hugely, mine was just about to cut me as could see I was going to tear but she didn't manage, apparently she 'held' me together though so maybe this helped? Anyway, they will look after you! Xxx
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    I agree with pickle. I got my hubby to do perineal massage fir me every other night. I did end up with a tiny cut as Chloe had the cord round her neck 4 times so every time I pushed ans she was coming, the cord kept pulling her back so they needed the forceps. However, had the cord been fine, I was told shed have come out no problem & I do think its because of the massage.
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262

I didn't do the massage but wish I had given it a try. Did have a waterbirth though and can honestly say it doesn't help with the tearing side of thing - the midwifes can't examine you as closely and so can't tell you when to wait with pushing - my tear was so bad and I lost so much blood that I ended up in surgery (not trying to scare you and the pain doesn't last long and it really is worth it - in fact - having been to surgery meant I went to special care with my own midwife for a day before I went to the dreaded postnatal ward!) 

• chelb13chelb13 Posts: 458
    I got hubby to do the massage for me don't know if it would've worked though as I had an episiotomy in the end. And I agree with MrsDunks, felt fine, didn't even take painkillers, stitches dissolved after about 10 days and DTD with hubby 3 weeks after DD was born.

Don't worry about it too much. You will be concentrating too much on getting baby out to think about anything else and then you will be mesmerized by baby to care about down below! X