Forum home You & Your Baby

swimming

I want to take jake swimming, hes 10 months but what should he wear. I thought he might be cold in just swimming shorts. What do your little ones wear?

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    It depends on the pool. The baby pool where Caitlin has her lessons she has to wear a happy nappy and a swim nappy under it. At the gym i use swim nappy and a mini wetsuit type swimming costume. Pool is cooler but she is fine while in the pool. Have towel to hand and get wet things off asap. I ensure warm clothes to dress in after
  • picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141
    Gracies been going swimming since 8 weeks and she wears a swim nappy and a little long arm and leg swimsuit. Just the type all the shops sell. The pool she goes to is very warm, as are the changing rooms. Try and find one that has a special pool for small children. They're a lot warmer.

At the swim school they advise that you wrap your baby really well in a towel, get yourself dry and changed, then see to the baby. That method works best for us. She's very happy to lie on her changing mat, wrapped up warm. That way you aren't dripping all over them, trying to put them in dry clothes.
  • RRrr2011RRrr2011 Posts: 1,262

Esmé has been swimming since 4 weeks. She just wears a swim nappy and a swim costume - just a normal one - nothing special. The thing to watch for is them being cold - if they are under water they will stay warm quite a while - its when they get out that they get cold. 

Some of the boys in our class just wear a swim nappy and nothing else. If the water is warm enough you don;t need to splash out on anything special

• Yeah depends on the pool.  Sometimes my 7 month old is just in a normal swim suit and sometimes with a wee neoprene body warmer on top - like these ones from Jojo

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+baby-wetsuits-in-baby-sun-and-swimwear+B2091

Def agree about the tip to wrap them up and dress yourself first.  Goes against what you think but its better if they get upset when you are dressing them and need a cuddle - you are dry.  

• michnankmichnank Posts: 204

I've been going swimming with Matt since he was 3 months, the pool we use is 32 degrees at a minimum. The lessons are only for 30mins as any longer and they will be too cold. The woman who runs the lessons says we need to have happy nappies over swim nappies, I can see why as they are quite snug on boys. Some of the other babies where a little vest on top, but I didn't think it was needed. 

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    We are told max of 30mins. Caitlin at a year would not sit still wrapped while i got dressed. The pool we use has a playpen so get her dressed and dried and she goes in there
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    Hiya,

Chloe's had swimming lessons since 4months and she wears a swim nappy anf a happy nappy on top. The pools very warm anf is in a primary school.

When we taje her to the local pool, the kids pool is warm but the changing area a little cool so we put swim nappy happy nappy and a little wetsuit.