Giving Up The Dummy

My LO is 18 months old and has a dummy during naps, at night time and very occasionally on long car journeys (when she starts getting bored and irritable after throwing her toys on the floor - ha ha!). She sleeps through the night but when she's teething she dribbles more and then due to her having the dummy in, she starts coughing. I know that most advice says babies should give up the dummy at 6 months but at that age she was in a lot of pain with teething and the dummy helped soothe her. I want her to give up the dummy but wanted advice from others on how I go about this: should I just take them off her and make her go cold turkey? Or should I take it from her at nap times but still let her have it at night for a while???

• cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    Different people have gone different ways. try not giving it at nap time and see how you get on. If they sleep try again at night. Those that have gone cold turkey have usually stopped using it within a week.

Good luck
  • MrsC81MrsC81 Posts: 201
    We stopped using the dummy at 4 and a half months, so a different situation to you, but we went cold turkey and it worked great for us and have never looked back. Is she old enough to make a deal? Could you swap it for a new toy or something? Might still be too young for that though x
  • mum2be2011mum2be2011 Posts: 1,172
    We decided at 11 months to cut out the dummy at nap times and LO done so well that day that I thought I'd chance my luck and see if he'd go all night - he grumbled a bit but since that day he's never had a dummy again! He has become quite attached to his soother blankie at bed time but its better than his dummy. I would say give cold turkey a try and if it doesn't work try gradually x
  • Thanks for the advice ladies. We've tried putting her down for her daytime nap without the dummy but it hasn't gone well: screaming, crying, not sleeping and then being miserable for the rest of the day and then difficult to put to bed at night due to being overtired image

We've given in and given her back the dummy.. We'll try again when she's a bit older.
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    It might just be the wrong week. try again in a month or so
  • MrsKW2011MrsKW2011 Posts: 1,592
    Have you tried putting her down at bedtime without it first?

My lo is only 9months but I'm trying to ease out the dummy, put him down to sleep last night without it for the first time and he went 9hrs before he cried for it at 4am.

Am going to try again tonight and see if we can get through the whole night (as ill be getting up to see to him tonight rather than hubby!) but I wouldn't try going without it at nap time yet as its the only thing that calms him down when he gets himself overtired! (He's never been a good napper so we don't have set nap times)

Good luck xx
  • Thanks MrsKW2011: I haven't tried that yet but will do. Over the past few days she's had 2 new teeth break through - that's 3 so far this month!! Think I'll wait until the teeth spurt has calmed down before trying to give up the dummy again x
  • roo10roo10 Posts: 722
    Hiya,

We got rid of the dummy when Chloe was 4&?? months old. We went cold turkey, 1st day was the worse but within 3 days shed forgotten about it. She didn't have it at night though, just the day, she kind of weaned herself off it but was dependent on it for naps, but we've never looked back image