Forum home You & Your Baby

Coming off the pill

Hi girls, I'm just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm turning 30 in a few weeks and starting to think about having family. A few of my friends have recently had some problems after coming off the pill and its making me think although I don't want a baby just now perhaps I should get off the pill and give my body a chance to get back to normal, to give me a head start.  So I'm just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing and what method of contraception you used until you decided it was the right time?  I wondered about the injection but then read online that it can take a year for your system to return to normal after stopping this, so that's not really any better than the pill! I guess condoms are probably the only thing that doesn't mess up your cycle, but just wondered if anyone else had any other suggestions? I guess I should really go and ask my dr, but it's hard to get away from work. Ashe advice would be appreciated. Thanks image

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 392

If you're trying to get your body back to normal then I'd say you can only really do that by using non-hormone methods (well condoms really!). The injection would give your body new hormones at different levels so again it'd take a while to go back to normal.

Its such a hard call - I read on here that you're extra fertile the first three months of stopping the pill; I wasn't sure if that was true but there are a fair few people this has happened to.

good luck!xx

• Little-pickleLittle-pickle Posts: 1,136

I came off the pill last month the let my body get back to normal, we don't want to gt pregnant until after out wedding in sept and so are using condoms, it's a bit of an effort but my goodness the diffence I feel not have my body full or different levels of hormones is brilliant! AF has just arrived at the same time I would have bad a bleed when in the pill so not sure if I'm going to stay on this cycle but by body is LOVING it! I was taking millinette. X

• jsl298jsl298 Posts: 38

My sister came off the pill to try for a baby and it was about 9 months before she had a period.

• mrsmacmrsmac Posts: 322

I agree with littlebear, I'm not sure if there's much you can use that doesn't potentially interfere with your body's natural cycle other than condoms. 

Also if you start to get to know your cycle and your most fertile period, you could be more careful during that time to avoid getting pregnant straight away.

It can take some people months to get back to normal after being on the pill (I was lucky that my cycles went back to normal length pretty much straight away but I'm not sure I really felt quite right or like I knew what was going on with my body for 4 months).

Also my GP told me if your cycles don't go back to normal straight away they won't do anything until it's been at least 6 months, so might be worth bearing that in mind.

But some people do get pregnant straight away - unfortunately there's no way of really knowing how your body is going to react beforehand.

The only thing I would say (from personal experience!) is that when you make the decision that you're ready to start trying, you are mentally ready right then and if it takes a while to get back to normal because your body isn't ready, that can be quite disheartening and depressing.

good luck!  image

• nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524

I came off the pill a month before my wedding in April as we wanted to try to conceive straight away and I'm really glad that I did. We didn't use any form of contraception as I was pretty confident that I wouldn't get pregnant straight away, which we didn't - we're still waiting image 

My first cycle was 28 days, the next was 35 days, then the last one was 39 days... waiting to see what will happen this month! I feel so much better not being full of chemicals but it's frustrating not knowing what's going on with my body. If you're starting to think about having a baby now then I'd come off the pill and let your body adjust to its natural cycles in preparation x

• JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737

I came off the pill in January 2011. I had one AF around 30 days later and then nothing for over 3 months. After that they were erratic and took a while to settle down. We were going to use condoms as we didn't want to stick a load of hormones into my body. In the end, we decided to see what happened and it did take a long time to fall pregnant. On the other hand, my friend stopped taking her pill December and by January had got her BFP. I do recommend giving your body a break from it though.

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

It depends how soon you want to start trying I guess. If it's within the next year then I'd say stop now and use a barrier method - condom, diaphragm or non-hormone coil I think at your only options (unless you want to abstain LOL).

I came off the pill in feb and since have had a 42 day cycle, a 53 day cycle and my current cycle will be 40 days I think. (I'd been on microgynon for 20 years).

I'd say if you definitely want children then it is worth stopping taking hormones well before you start trying. HTH