Need to change ovulation dates

Hi,

I'm looking for a but of advice please, I am currently ttc and have been off the pill since last June and started trying last September. The first couple months I hadn't been using ovulation sticks but started doing so and have been able to pinpoint my ovulation dates since November.  However, the problem is my boyfriend works offshore on a 2:3 rota and every month I am ovulating before he gets home.  my periods are pretty regular, not standard 28 days but vary between 30-34 days at most.  Every month I get my hopes up that my ovulation may come later and we'll have a window of opportunity but its  just not happening.  I am on day 19 today and he is due home tomorrow and when I felt the ovulation pains today at work I felt like bursting into tears as that's another month out of the window image

My question is, is there any way of delaying ovulation or changing your ovulation at all without going back on the pill?  I'd rather avoid this if possible as I don't want to mess around with my cycle but I can't think of any other option.  It's actually driving me mad, everyone around me seems to be falling pregnant so easily but it just seems so hard  for us ATM.  I've tried to get a doctors apt but haven't been able to get anything due to working over an hour from where I live so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks x

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

I'd take the pill for a week, see what happens.

• ButtonmoonButtonmoon Posts: 924

i dont think there is any way ovulation can be delayed or brought on directly. I know people have had changed to cycles when taking herbel rememdies but i dont believe any of them and certainties.

surly the most sensible option here rather than trying to preempt and predict nature would be to ensure your OH has annual leave booked for around the time of ovulation. Esp if you are able to pinpoint your ovulation as you say.

work forward when you expect to ovulate and book some annual leave in to ensure your both home.

ttc is hard on so many level for many people. work and shifts often play havoc with ttc but it is up to you and you OH to work through this and plan ahead for the best chances to concieve if you are not likely to just be together over ov generally.

• Busybee83Busybee83 Posts: 49

Thanks but that's not an option as he doesn't get annual leave working that rotation, he always works away two weeks away and home three weeks and unfortunately ovulation is just wrong timing for it.  So theres not really any work around other than him trying to get a shift swap (not easy) or looking for a new job.  I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this before we go down that path.  I've done lots of googling and can't see any option other than to go back on the pill and try and change my cycle that way.  I've got a GP apt in a months time so I'll see what they advise before I do anything. 

Thanks image

in that case, id do what baby z said and take the pill for a week or so... in theory should shift your pattern and under the current circumstances not like anything to lose.

• Hi busybee, I can imagine its a nightmare with his rota, my hubby also is a shift worker and it did make it harder for timing it right. Though we were fortunate so get our BFP fairly quick. 

i could be wrong but I think it's still possible to get pregnant if you continue to DTD for upto 48hrs after OV. So if you think that was yesterday and he's due home today your not out this cycle yet. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. xx

also dont forget that sperms can survive for a few days if not more. is there any cycles going forward where you ov within a few dys of him going offshore? this would still out you in with a chance,

• manfawmanfaw Posts: 2,756

I think its 3 days either side of ov - although I think thats the sperm not the egg?

eggs lifespan can vary between 12 and 24 hours after release.

i think most advice is althought not impossible to concieve from intercourse after ov, it will be less effective as despite pains etc no one really knows if and when the egg is released hence recommendation of intercourse prior to ov to ensure sperm waiting.

but dtd today. cant be any harm in it image

• picklepickpicklepick Posts: 1,141

If you go the the GP there is a medication you can take that will postpone your period for a few days, it's called norethisterone. Be warned though the side effects are supposedly not too pleasant. 

• manfawmanfaw Posts: 2,756

I have taken it and I didnt have any side effects really but its not predictable when your period will arrive when you stop taking it