Forum home You & Your Baby

Advice on how often to DTD!

Sorry if tmi but after some advice. I am due AF in 9 days and then when she disappears we are going to begin our TTC journey. Have read lots of different opinions so those of you with success stories or just those who know how often should we be aiming to DTD to give the best chances. I always thought every other day and everyday in fertile window but then have read only once or twice in a month to save sperm quality.

Thanks in advance xxx

• I am not TTC yet but from what I've read, its every other day all month. Baby dust to you when you do start xx

• JCL1JCL1 Posts: 129

Have you read about SMEP? I think that says every other day beginning from the end of your period except for during your fertile window when you should do it every day. But I think medical advice is to do it as often as you can until you get pregnant. Not sure I could do it every day! X

• Polly27Polly27 Posts: 680 New bride

Well we tried August and september every day in the middle of my cycle and no joy, we had October out due to my brothers wedding next year (need to be able to fly so had to be less than 36 weeks), then we tried this month, dtd every other day from around day 10 to day 19 and got a bfp. With my first we also dtd every other day and got our bfp quite quickly, so from my experience would say every other day. Good luck xxx

• Thanks ladies. I haven't heard of SMEP but shall do a Google search after this message. My first approach is what is recommended by the looks of it. X

• MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride

Every other day from day 8 worked for us. Took us 18 months but that was due to known male factor infertility with incredibly low sperm count. I didn't do any tracking of cycles etc, my best advice would be every other day and try not to think of where in your cycle you are. That will just add to the stress which is not necessary when you're just starting out.and will likely decrease your chances. We were religious with the every other day method, even when we really couldn't be bothered! Ttc has a tendency to take the romance away so try to keep it fun and fingers crossed you'll be lucky before long. Our little girl is 9 months old and we're trying for number 2 now! Hoping it won't take as long this time but fully expecting it to! Good luck, it's a crazy journey! xx

• Thank you Mrs Davies really appreciate your advice. I am testing with clear blue dual hormone ovulation kits as I just like to know I ovulate as haven't been off the pill for long so will carry them on and obviously DTD on peak day but definitely will be every other day from when AF disappears xxx

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

So we have tried everything, EOD, every day, not tracking, the lot. TBH, I don't think there is any magic formula for getting pregnant. It will happen by itself. The best advice I can give is track for a few months to know your cycle then stop. I really hope you don't have a long journey, but if you do after a while it gets so emotionally draining it is better to just stop thinking about it.

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

Oh and MrsD - good to hear you are trying for number two.

• Thanks MrsTwizbe appreciate the advice. I'm going to keep on with the ovulation tests as not finding them too stressful although when actually TTC may be different. Just hoping EOD will work for us and then definitely on peak day and the day after x

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

NHS advice is every 2-3 days

Beware that using OPKs can lead to you stopping DTD too soon since it's possible to get a false positive.

• Thanks! we are going to go with the SMEP plan I think X