Ovulation tests - which one to get?

Hi,

My husband and I have decided the time is right for us to start trying for a baby :)  (I'm sooo excited!!). He's back at the weekend which times in just perfectly, according to my app, for my most fertile time. But I've been reading on here that sometimes the apps aren't as accurate as the ovulation tests, so have been looking at them this evening. But, I'm not sure which ones to go for? And do they really help?

I know I probably shouldn't be needing the ovulation tests on the first month of trying, but i just want to try anything that could help. 

This is all so new to me! 

• Hi and this is our first month ttc too and I've been testing ovulation since September using clear blue dual hormone ov tests xxx

• K2bHolK2bHol Posts: 83

Hi , thank you for replying :)

Are they the best ones do you think? Thinking now that perhaps I should have been using them already.

• Nic17Nic17 Posts: 80

Hi

I would agree with Mrs Rowlands, this one shows low, high and peak fertility so are really good. 

My only bit of advise would be perhaps wait a few months before buying some, they are pretty costly and from someone who has been trying a long time now you can end up spending a fortune! 

Good luck x

• K2bHolK2bHol Posts: 83

Thanks Nic17, yes they are a lot more than I'd thought they would be. Very niave of me! Will wait a few months and see how it goes first. Luckily since having the implant out in July my cycles have been fairly regular (give or take a day).

• Hi ladies

My advice is don't go there with the ovulation tests! They seem like a great idea when you first start trying, but believe me, six months down the line with no pregnancy, they end up ruling your lives both in and out of the bedroom. In my opinion, ovulation tests really ruin spontaneity, they put way too much pressure on both of you, especially on the man, and they can cause terrible long term problems with your sex life! If you are fortunate enough to conceive straight away then that's great, but even with "perfectly" timed sex, there's still only a 20% chance of conceiving each month. The test kits are also very expensive, and the costs adds up if you don't conceive quickly. Ovulation tests don't tell you the exact time you are ovulating anyway, and you can easily determine your fertile period using other methods (Google fertile CM...). Unless you have very irregular ovulations and/or your body doesn't show any obvious signs such as fertile CM, I think it's better to avoid OV tests.

I'd recommend waiting until you have been off the pill for at least three months to give your cycle a chance to get back to normal, then start monitoring your basal body temperatures every day for another three months with a special BBT thermometer. You can then see your body's pattern of ovulation and predict your most likely fertile times for future months. Then you can increase the amount of sex you have during those times, especially if you also have fertile CM. But definitely don't tell your partner you are fertile / ovulating  and never ever mention your CM! Guaranteed passion killer! And don't forget to keep doing it at other times of the month too! 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

Hi

I would second starting to temp to get an idea of your cycles. I have used boots ovulation test. They are a lot cheaper than the clear blue one and give an easy to read result.

I have found them OK. but I have been TTC for 2 years so I don't test every month now as I know my ovulation signs.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride
    MrsOverall wrote (see post):

Hi ladies

My advice is don't go there with the ovulation tests! They seem like a great idea when you first start trying, but believe me, six months down the line with no pregnancy, they end up ruling your lives both in and out of the bedroom. In my opinion, ovulation tests really ruin spontaneity, they put way too much pressure on both of you, especially on the man, and they can cause terrible long term problems with your sex life! If you are fortunate enough to conceive straight away then that's great, but even with "perfectly" timed sex, there's still only a 20% chance of conceiving each month. The test kits are also very expensive, and the costs adds up if you don't conceive quickly. Ovulation tests don't tell you the exact time you are ovulating anyway, and you can easily determine your fertile period using other methods (Google fertile CM...). Unless you have very irregular ovulations and/or your body doesn't show any obvious signs such as fertile CM, I think it's better to avoid OV tests.

I'd recommend waiting until you have been off the pill for at least three months to give your cycle a chance to get back to normal, then start monitoring your basal body temperatures every day for another three months with a special BBT thermometer. You can then see your body's pattern of ovulation and predict your most likely fertile times for future months. Then you can increase the amount of sex you have during those times, especially if you also have fertile CM. But definitely don't tell your partner you are fertile / ovulating  and never ever mention your CM! Guaranteed passion killer! And don't forget to keep doing it at other times of the month too! 

I completely agree with this advice. I've been using ovulation tests and they just haven't worked for me and have ended up confusing things even further. So I would use them as a last resort only and wish I had done that to start with.

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

NONE!!! step away from the OPKs - they give false positives, false negatives and cause a ridiculous amount of stress.

Just DTD every 2-3 all cycle or if that's too much just do it for the 10 days or so around the middle of your cycle (assuming you have a 28 day cycle, if not then do it around 2 weeks before AF is due).

In a couple of cycles or if you're just interested you can start to chart your temp and if you want to pay attention to CM.

Don't get sucked into buying OPKs (expensive of cheap ones) TTC is supposed to be fun.