Stretchmarks

Hi ladies.  Looking for some advice from those of you that have been there, done that.

Can stretch marks ever be avoided?  Minimised?  Or is it just down to good luck?

I know that the official advice is that you can't prevent them, but if I can do anything that helps then I'm willing to try!

Currently using Palmer's cocoa butter before bed every day and eating a diet that is fairly rich in natural fats.  I'm only 15+5 so plenty of time to try my best to prevent them.

If I get them I won't mind, I know they are a 'battle scar' but hey wouldn't it be great to avoid them if possible!

• MrsM16MrsM16 Posts: 316 New bride

I'd like to follow this thread! X

• RedVelvetRedVelvet Posts: 1,297 New bride

I think it's largely down to luck and genetics. But moisturising won't hurt, i know some do twice a day, and apparently swimming is supposed to be good (can't remember where I heard that though). 

I have a bunch from when I was growing up, but didn't get any new ones while pregnant. However I did get some low down during labour. Don't even notice those anymore now tbf!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I am using palmers stretch mark massage lotion every morning on belly and boobs (already had them on boobs from puberty) My mum said she never got any so perhaps I will be lucky. That said I already have them on my legs and back as well from when I shot up as a teenager so my chances are not great.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Bio Oil morning and night 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I dont think you can avoid them really but my skin loved cocoa butter during pregnancy as I got very itchy skin.

I didnt get stretch marks until 8 months, but I didnt put on any additional weight, just bump and boobs. I got a few on my belly and hips. Second and third pregnancy I didnt get any new ones, the old ones just went red again.

I honestly couldnt care less about my stretch marks, I dont even give them a second thought, most people have them, just a part of life!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I did not avoid stretch marks. I used to use bio oil but my stomach still looks like a road map. Lol. I also had two very large babies (9lbs 4oz and 9lbs 1oz). 

• MrsA2012MrsA2012 Posts: 153

I used Palmers cocoa butter stretch mark cream and still got stretch marks but they have faded really well - not sure if that is anything to do with the cream or not but i'm using it again anyway! 

• Apparently not scratching when you're itchy helps?

• Kim90Kim90 Posts: 183

I used bio oil...it seemed to work..then one day I got in the bath and looked down...BAM ! There they all were ...appeared from nowhere!

i was the size of an elephant and my daughter was around the 10lb mark!

i hated them at first ...but like the laughter lines around my eyes...they tell a story,there's none better than a gorgeous daughter! 

• LR82LR82 Posts: 639

I'm not sure there's much you can do about them, if your going to get them you'll get them. I used bio oil in my last pregnancy and got away with just a few bad ones above my belly button and then lots of very feint ones on the very underside of my bump. The low down ones I got in the week I went overdue as they definitely weren't there prior to my due date. They all faded well, and although I am conscious of them I don't think they were that obvious to others. 

Pregnant again now, not used anything yet, will prob use palmers or bio oil again once I start to get really big.

I think the bio oil was nice to have a little bump massage daily ☺️

Good luck x 

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

Nothing you can do

i have loads from teenage growth spurts but didn't get any with my first baby despite not moisturising. Yet this time I'm 33 weeks and have a few appearing already. c'est la vie 

• Mrs NeekMrs Neek Posts: 445 New bride

Bio oil works a charm!! I use it twice a day, I actually don't have any children, but I'm unfortunate enough to have stretch marks, I blame my fat butt! Lool. So I decided to use it now so when I do eventually have kids it won't be so bad, I hope! Xx

• FunkyBride2BFunkyBride2B Posts: 1,183

I think if you're going to get them you're going to get them, I used bio oil in both pregnancies but at the end they came anyway! But after my first pregnancy they faded so quickly you couldn't see them

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 759 New bride

Thanks for all the responses!  It sounds like you can try your best with moisturising but nothing is guaranteed to help.  Still though, I also like the pre-bed bump massage ritual and showering off the cocoa butter in the morning feels nice.  It's kind've reassuring to know that what will be, will be, and that I'm not missing some magic trick somewhere.  I don't think I'll mind them if I get them, I've just seen too many episodes of One Born which are an eye-opener in many ways, big red stretch marks being the least worrying!!

• NooeyNooey Posts: 413

I agree with all the above, I think it's largely down to your skin type and genetics. 

I had none with my daughter and used Palmers coco oil twice a day. (Though she was born at 33 weeks and only 5lbs 1oz)

Im nearly 39 weeks pregnant now and fingers crossed I've avoided them. I've been using Bepanthen Stretch mark cream which feels lovely, once or twice a day for the last few months.

• BabyZebedeeBabyZebedee Posts: 2,421

pf - let me reassure you, obem is nothing like child birth. For a start, they show the most dramatic deliveries and for another, they cut out so much (obviously). I've never once seen them say you have to wait to push or you can't have an epidural for two hours cos the anaesthetist is busy.  Plus they hardly ever show water births which is disappointing. You'd think all births are on your back, mad pushing or a c-section if you only saw obem.

dont let it scare you