Did you 'know' you were pregnant before doing a pregnancy test?

Hi guys, I've heard a lot of women say that they just instinctively 'know' that they are pregnant before actually testing, and wondered if anyone had experienced this, and if so what made you feel like it, and what symptoms did you have?

I believe I am around 3.5 weeks pregnant (7 DPO) as I've been having minor period style cramps for the past 3 days which is really unlike me. I rarely get period pains, and if I do it's usually the day before I come on my period, yet my period isn't due for another 8 days so it's far too early. I've also felt permanently tired the past 4 or 5 days. I've been dropping off on the sofa about 9pm, and it's not uncommon for me to wake up, potter around the house for an hour or so and then feel really tired and go back to bed and fall asleep again, even though I've only just woken up! I've also gone right off chocolate which I usually love! I went out to a food festival with my family last weekend and my sister in law convinced me to share a brownie with her (topped with cream and hot chocolate sauce!!) I'd have usually polished it off by myself no problem, but I had about 2 bites and felt like I was going to be sick. 

Could these be early pregnancy symptoms? I can't help but think it's all in my head as surely 3.5 weeks is too early to have symptoms? The baby would only be a bunch of cells really! I'd love to hear your thoughts though! 

• Is it your first month of trying? A lot of symptom spotting can be psycho-semantic, particularly if you are in the very early days of TTC. My first month I had swollen, agonising to touch boobs, went off alcohol, constantly tired, could eat spicier things than my normal pallete, had headaches which I don't normally suffer from, stronger sense of smells etc etc, yet my period arrived the day I was due.

My Mom claimed to know she was pregnant with both me and my brother within days of conceiving, but she was lucky enough to fall first time with both of us. It is possible, but in my personal experience it was more down to desperately wanting a baby rather than actually being pregnant. 

If you are trying feel free to join us on the TTC thread. Either way this month I hope you have the result you are hoping for :) xx

• I knew at 5dpo but had been pregnant before 

beware you coukd just be symptom spotting 

• I had no clue I was pregnant, but looking back I guess there were some signs that weren't normal for me pre-AF. For example, I was so exhausted! I had the Friday before my BFP off work and we were travelling to a wedding that day - I fell asleep for 2 hours of the journey, which is completely out of character for me, and then I fell asleep at 8pm that night. I was also completely off chocolate - I swapped dessert with my husband at the wedding because I just couldn't eat it. I'm a massive chocoholic, so again that was completely out of character. 

To be honest though, the month I got my BFP was the month I had the least symptoms! 

• I agree with above, the month I got my bfp was the month I had the least symptoms too. I didn't think I was pregnant the month I was and was convinced my period was coming. 

Lots of pre AF symptoms are similar to pregnancy symptoms which is so annoying! 

• I have to agree with the above, my bfp month I had zero symptoms, which could have been a symptom in itself, so was a huge shock when I found out. Other months I'd had literally every symptom in the book! Fc for you tho! keep us all updated x

• Emily54Emily54 Posts: 266 New bride

I fell pregnant without really trying as such so wasn't looking for symptoms as such.

My period was due 5 days before my wedding day and I do remember that I had lots of little cramps too, which is common for me on a period and I remember being happy period was coming as I should be off by the wedding day. 

I also had gone off tea, which normally I drink every morning without fail and again I just put this down to being busy. 

When period didn't show I did a test ( on my birthday too! ) and it was positive!! Happy birthday to me!! I am now 29 weeks :) 

So yes I think you can have "symptoms" straight away, remember we are all different. 

I wish you the very best of luck, please let us know when you test Xx 

• RedVelvetRedVelvet Posts: 1,297 New bride

With my first I was convinced I was coming on, somfefinitely not then. 

I had a cp before this one and I just knew. I guess I only really had cramps, which was unusual, but I just felt pregnant. I also knew early it wasn't to be as it just didn't feel quite right. AF arrived 3-4 days late. The next month I felt similar again, but definitely more pregnant, and the test was a stronger positive earlier so knew it would stick. Now 17 weeks. 

• With my second pregnancy I "just knew". I remember sl clearly the evening I realised. I was 8dpo and just sat down on the bed whilst my oh was putting my little one in the bath. I came over all funny, major heart palpitation, dizzy, sweaty and all of a sudden so heavy and felt I could have slept for weeks! Woke up the next morning feeling totally normal again and starting questioning wether i was or not. got a bfn the day before af was due and then a bfp the day af was due! Good luck!! 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I had no idea. One of my main pre AF symptoms was nausea so even feeling sick wasn't a clue for me. The only symptom that did get me questioning was not spotting which I had done every month before for at least 5 - 7 days before AF arrived.

I think with a second or other pregnancy you might tell quite early on because you recognise the feeling. If it is your first I don't think you do pick up quite so quickly.

• MrsM16MrsM16 Posts: 316 New bride

It does sound like you could be!

I didn't have a clue.  Looking back, I had awful cramps and sore boobs (thought this was because I was late on my period), late period (this was not unusual) dizziness and nausea (I had a lot going on with work and wedding planning so thought it was stress), went off my fav fish - salmon - just thought it was because we'd had it a lot and I was literally sick of it.  Pregnancy never crossed my mind! X

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 823 New bride

I had no idea at all.  Didn't feel pregnant and I didn't really get any symptoms in my first trimester other than tiredness and later a little bit of queasiness.  For everyone who says they "knew," there's someone who thinks they are, and they aren't!  I think you have to be super susceptible to changes in your hormone levels to pick up on it before you are due.  But having said that I think second time round you would be more likely to realise it.

• Hi ladies - I guess I was right to listen to my body as I've just got my BFP!! 😄 I can't believe it! Xx

• MrsM16MrsM16 Posts: 316 New bride

WOW!! Congrats!! And how lovely that you had that intuition :) Always listen to your body.  Very happy for you! X

• Thank you! It was our first month trying too, so I'm amazed (and a little bit in shock as I'd convinced myself it would take ages!!) :) Xxx

• Emily54Emily54 Posts: 266 New bride

Congratulations!  🍼🎉🍼🎉

wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. Please be sure to let us know how you are getting on.

I was also lucky enough to catch first time and our baby boy is due in 10 weeks ☺️ 

Best wishes xx