Forum home You & Your Baby

Time management with kids

Hi! I need some tips about on time management after the birth of the baby. I'm 7 months pregnant and I'm afraid that after the baby is born I won't have enough time for everything. I know that women somehow manage to plan their time. If anyone knows how please share your experience. Thanks!

• LeyllaLeylla Posts: 2

I personally started a diary, I write down my plans, goals, and tasks for the day, week, and month)

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful responses about actual time management tips but I just thought I'd say my best piece of advice is don't get hung up on it. The first couple months are all about survival. My son had silent reflux so for the first 6 weeks until we got him medicine we got nothing done and even less sleep than the standard new parents. After that it got better and we were able to get out and do stuff and organise our time properly but just be aware that it could take time before you even feel human again!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

My son had CMPA and reflux and vomited constantly for months - as above, the first weeks are just about survival, then you will find you fall naturally into a routine.

I went back to work full time when my son was just over a year old. it's a juggling act but you just get used to it.

The good news is that assuming baby is healthy, they spend much of the first 6 months asleep!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I will be honest - don't worry about it for the first 12 weeks at least. It would take me until lunch time most days to get up and get dressed.

I would say though to make sure your partner knows how to help you in those early days. My husband used to bring me a cup of tea in bed before he went to work and would lay out my breakfast when he made his. That made a huge difference to me. It is so important that mum eats (especially if you are breastfeeding)

I would also suggest getting out of the house every day - even if it is just walking to the shops to get some food. It helps you to start feeling more normal.

Finally - for those first 12 weeks, don't worry about cleaning, cooking etc. That is what the freezer meals are for, hire a cleaner or get your partner to help with those things. It is OK to let things go for a while.

Once they get to 12 weeks, they tend to get themselves into a routine and when they do that it is a lot easier to plan your day around their naps. They are also likely to sleep a bit better a night meaning you don't need to have as many naps.

• MirandaMayMirandaMay Posts: 4

I use the glider that I created with http://photo-calendar-software.com/ With this calendar it's easy to make notes on any dates. Very convenient

• Brenda21Brenda21 Posts: 1

It doesn't matter if it's calendar on the wall or the notebook on the table. The purpose is organizing your time.

• NansysNansys Posts: 3
    Brenda21 wrote (see post):

It doesn't matter if it's calendar on the wall or the notebook on the table. The purpose is organizing your time.

Yes, it's just going to be a lot of chores around the house, so I don't know how to keep up with everything :(

• Ronald2Ronald2 Posts: 1
    Nansys wrote (see post):

Yes, it's just going to be a lot of chores around the house, so I don't know how to keep up with everything :(

Maybe you should hire a nanny? It would be more effective than a calendar:)

• Di-DiDi-Di Posts: 1

A nanny is an option, but managing your time wisely will help your everyday routine a lot.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride
    Nansys wrote (see post):
    Brenda21 wrote (see post):

Basically, you just have to get used to the fact your house will never be as clean and tidy as it was before - or pay someone to clean it for you. I made the mistake of spending all my time cleaning when baby was asleep and I should have been getting some sleep too - nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown.

• DreamCatcher_DreamCatcher_ Posts: 119

I just got on with it.

I've always been an organised person and my baby slotted around those existing commitments (I also have an older child).

I always keep to-do lists (written down, on my phone notes and phone calendar) and my 'home' and 'work' lists are separate. 

When the youngest was a newborn I never had lie ins and instead found it easier to get up after his morning feed (around half 4/5), shower and get ready for the day. This meant that when he napped again after 9am I could eat and tidy up a little, then I got him ready when he woke and we went out for a bit. It was easier, for me, to stay awake and organised if I never went back to sleep.

I also split up my tidying up chores and spent maybe 30 minutes a day max doing it. My house was never showroom clean but it was clean and tidy. I maybe cleaned the bathrooms one day, kitchen the next, then dusting and then windows and glass. I spent 5 minutes hoovering each day as it spruced the house up without too much effort.

I also keep a finances spreadsheet to keep track of pur spending as things, obviously, became tighter with an extra mouth to feed and maternity pay. I still keep it now. 

I think never falling out of my own routine and habits definitely helped.

• SansaSansa Posts: 1

It's a good idea to create a glider calendar. You should give it a try.

Sansa wrote (see post):

It's a good idea to create a glider calendar. You should give it a try.

Yes, it's very convenient. There is a great variety of formats and the software is very easy to work with.

• Dona4Dona4 Posts: 1

This calendar can be a perfect gift for your loved ones. I added several photos and beautiful design. A handmade gift is ready!

We printed the calendar with notes on it. We really like it.

• NansysNansys Posts: 3

It's great. We created a calendar with our wedding photos. I'm not sure about a glider, but the calendar turned out beautiful :)

• LeyllaLeylla Posts: 2

How can you add pictures to your calendar?

You can find instructions here http://photo-calendar-software.com/tutorial.php

• Lucy266Lucy266 Posts: 176

WTF, this spam is bizarre