Just a little bit of advice...

Hi everyone, 

I wonder whether anyone has any advice for me... Hubs and started trying in December and to date, there’s been only one blip where my period was 4 days late (completely unheard of) - should I be thinking about getting myself to the Drs? I’ll be 35 next month and am feeling a bit down about it all. 

I can’t really talk to friends about this, I’m the oldest in my group and they all fell pregnant within a month. I admit, I’ve probably set my expectations too high but whenever we talk about babies, they’re very sympathetic making me feel like we’re failing somehow. 

xx

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

You need to be realistic about the time it can take to fall pregnant, you've only been trying for 5 months and it's completely normal to take up to a year for some people, even more. It took us 16 months and there's lots of people on here who it's been a longer journey for.

Having said that, as you are nearing 35 the NHS  will usually allow you to have tests done if you've been trying for more than 6 months. I really don't think you need to panic though, you're not failing in any way. The TTC thread on here is full of good advice if you want to drop by.  

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561
    bella2015 wrote (see post):

You need to be realistic about the time it can take to fall pregnant, you've only been trying for 5 months and it's completely normal to take up to a year for some people, even more. It took us 16 months and there's lots of people on here who it's been a longer journey for.

Having said that, as you are nearing 35 the NHS  will usually allow you to have tests done if you've been trying for more than 6 months. I really don't think you need to panic though, you're not failing in any way. The TTC thread on here is full of good advice if you want to drop by.  

Thanks Bella, OMG I was wondering what TTC stood for and I’ve only just realised! Flipping ‘eck! 

I’ll come by and make an appointment with the GP too :) 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,653 New bride

Yes come and join us on the TTC board - ‘Will it be our month? TTC 32’. It’s a good place to let off some steam too when things get frustrating. I‘m 35 in August and have been TTC or a year at the beginning of June. Have an appointment to see the doctor in June as it’s taking so long!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

They won't do much until you've been trying for a year.

Have you tried using ovulation prediction sticks? I have PCOS but managed to conceive in 5 months using them.

NikkiM wrote (see post):

Yes come and join us on the TTC board - ‘Will it be our month? TTC 32’. It’s a good place to let off some steam too when things get frustrating. I‘m 35 in August and have been TTC or a year at the beginning of June. Have an appointment to see the doctor in June as it’s taking so long!

Thanks Nikki, I’ve just jumped on the group! Good luck at the Drs - hopefully they’ll be reassuring and understanding. x

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

They won't do much until you've been trying for a year.

Have you tried using ovulation prediction sticks? I have PCOS but managed to conceive in 5 months using them.

I read somewhere that if you’re 35 and have been trying for more than six months then they’ll investigate a little further. I guess I can give it a go! 

I bought some but as I didnt know how to begin I didn’t try it. So do you use them until you find a pattern over a couple of months? 

• Mrs-17Mrs-17 Posts: 89 New bride

They will usually do some initial tests at 6 months if you’re over 35!

For ovulation tests... You wee on a stick every morning or afternoon (depending on what brand/type you’re using!) from about day 8 of your cycle, and the line gradually gets darker as you get closer to ovulation date - when it starts getting darker, start having more regular sex (recommended is every other day!) Once the control line is as dark as the test line or thereabouts, you will usually ovulate within 24-48 hours. I found ovulation predictor kits useful because it gave me something to focus on. 

Mrs-17 wrote (see post):

For ovulation tests... You wee on a stick every morning or afternoon (depending on what brand/type you’re using!) from about day 8 of your cycle, and the line gradually gets darker as you get closer to ovulation date - when it starts getting darker, start having more regular sex (recommended is every other day!) Once the control line is as dark as the test line or thereabouts, you will usually ovulate within 24-48 hours. I found ovulation predictor kits useful because it gave me something to focus on. 

Thanks Mrs17, I’ll give that a go after my next period is over. My cycle is quite short, the average was 25 days but since we’ve been trying they’ve been a bit early and then a bit late. Body’s going nuts! 

Your post has been so incredibly helpful, thanks very much honestly - at least I have somewhere to begin and aim for now! 

• Mrs-17Mrs-17 Posts: 89 New bride
    Mrs Ayse wrote (see post):
    Mrs-17 wrote (see post):

Thanks Mrs17, I’ll give that a go after my next period is over. My cycle is quite short, the average was 25 days but since we’ve been trying they’ve been a bit early and then a bit late. Body’s going nuts! 

Your post has been so incredibly helpful, thanks very much honestly - at least I have somewhere to begin and aim for now! 

If youve got a shorter cycle, it could be worth starting ovulation tests as soon as your period ends just for the first month so you don’t miss anything? I have a longer cycle and was surprised how late I ovulate! Started on day 8 and didn’t ovulate until day 22 - an expensive lesson haha but worth knowing! Best of luck! 

Mrs-17 wrote (see post):
    Mrs Ayse wrote (see post):
    Mrs-17 wrote (see post):

If youve got a shorter cycle, it could be worth starting ovulation tests as soon as your period ends just for the first month so you don’t miss anything? I have a longer cycle and was surprised how late I ovulate! Started on day 8 and didn’t ovulate until day 22 - an expensive lesson haha but worth knowing! Best of luck! 

Absolutely, I’m going to try and give it a go in the morning and order a few more packs ;) this sounds addictive haha! 

Thanks v much, fingers and toes crossed! But not legs haha!