Going off the pill post wedding

We got married 3 weeks ago, it wad the most amazing perfect day and I couldn't feel happier.

There is a subject which I would like to raise with my husband but I'm a bit nervous to. I would really like to go off the pill as I hate being on it. It makes me feel as if I'm not in control of my body and my mood is really all over the place. 

We have discussed and agreed that we would like children in the next couple of years however are not massively keen to get pregnant now. My husband and I both work long hours and only really manage to get down to it twice a month max and he always pulls out even though I'm on the pill. (sorry TMI!!) 

Therefore I was considering trying out a natural cycle monitor as our contraception. 

I'm a bit worried my husband is going to freak out and think I just want a baby. Saying that we are in a fine situation to have a baby in terms of finances etc. it's more that we just like our freedom at the moment and would like it just a bit longer. 

Any suggestions on how I can bring up the subject without him freaking out and me caving to just carry on on the pill? 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

Id explain how you feel about the pill and wanting to come off it, which is also a good idea if you’re wanting to try for a baby in a couple of years anyway to give your body time to adjust and get to know your cycles. You could always suggest condoms as an alternative method and see what he says - if he is that bothered about not having a baby then that’s his option, but you shouldn’t feel under pressure to continue with hormonal contraception which can be pretty rough with its side effects. I know people who use the natural method and it works - if a baby wouldn’t be the end of the world and you’re careful then there’s a good chance it’ll work for you but if you really don’t want to risk it then condoms are an easy solution.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

I came off the pill 2 or 3 years before we TTC. We used condoms or did withdrawal method, works fine for us as I have PCOS so hard for me to conceive anyway. Still do this now, but would only recommend if it wouldn't be a catastrophe if you did fall pregnant!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I used natural cycles between my pregnancies (both were planned). I loved it and plan to use it again after this baby is born until I get my tubes tied.

I hate hormonal contraception and I refuse to use it again. It doesn't agree with me and I feel so much better for not using it. Besides I plan to breastfeed again so can't use it until I stop that.

I would just tell your husband you're coming off the pill and would like to try natural cycles. Agree with pp you can give him the option of abstaining on fertile days, pulling out or condoms. Contraception isn't 100% the woman's issue. If he doesn't want to get you pregnant he can put something on the end of it.