Forum home You & Your Baby

Due March/April 2020

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 940 New bride
    Happy Friday all! It's definitely a bit chilly today and I need to venture out for a sandwich for lunch, having nit bothered bring a coat.

I love the idea of not knowing whether it's a boy or a girl but my husband wants to know. He says it will make it easier, but when I asked how he wasn't able to answer! We're already discussing names and have a few favourites, but can't settle on them exactly yet. Unfortunately his favourite girl name is one I'm very indifferent about and try as I am I can't seem to make myself love it.

My husband has just been offered a job which is less pay but normal hours (he currently works till gone midnight most days and on Sundays). On the one hand I think it would be nicer to have him home in the evenings and at weekends when the baby arrives, but we also really need the money, as we live in a tiny one bed flat and will need to find a two bed place before the baby is a bit older. It's so stressful not knowing which route would be better to take.
  • MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,888 New bride
    @OmRum - That was a bit like my husband but he agrees with me now lol!!  We already have names after trying for so long theres not many we still like!  We really struggled with boys so hoping its not twin boys haha!!

Ahh that is tricky about your husband, is it significantly less then or is it doable? xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015
    Miracle Baby due April 2020

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
  • mrsfbcmrsfbc Posts: 103 New bride
    @OmRum we’ve just been in a similar position, husband was offered a new job, it was more money but would be self employed, but also better hours (would be home by 5:30) then his current company made him an offer he couldn’t refuse when he said he was going to leave but it’s probably gonna mean lots more work. I was all for taking the other job but it’s up to him and in the long run it will work out better for us. I am worried about coping with a 5 year old and a new born if he doesn’t get home until 8pm! We only have 2 bedrooms so eventually going to either need to move or covert the loft (can’t afford to do either!) but I just keep thinking Baby will be in with us for 6 months so we’ve got a year to save/decide what to do. 
  • Morning Ladies

No idea why but I was really chilly yesterday/last night too. Ended up on the sofa with hubby wrapped in a blanket to stay warm. He kept sending me sideways glances of amused amazement!

@Mrs17 15 weeks is so exciting! We’ve started looking at nursery furniture but mainly for ideas and to work out what will fit. We’re going to make the little bedroom our nursery and it’s pretty much a box room so need to be creative.  We’re pretty much 70-80% now that we want to know the gender. We always said we didn’t until it was actually happening. Think we might keep it to ourselves if we find out though.  We’re thinking pretty neutral for nursery decor, maybe a cream background but we love some of the bright wall stickers you can get of animals. Hubs insists we need a carpet that won’t show stains! 😂

@OmRum the job thing with your hubby sounds difficult, I can totally understand you wanting him home more especially while the baby’s little, but I get what you mean about needing a bigger place too. Is it much difference in money?

@mrsfbc I can see why you’re worried about that too.  Great that your hubby has has this better offer and maybe that plus the time while your baby sleeps in with you will give you time to save for the loft conversion or move, but I bet you want him home with you and the kids too. Hope you’re feeling a bit less tired and your son enjoyed going back to school?

@MrsGB2015 how are you feeling today? Unfortunately morning sickness can feel pretty much just like feeling a bit ropey. Couple that with the tiredness and it pretty much sucks.

We’re off to MIL’s this afternoon, out for dinner with her and family friends tonight in Beverley. It’ll be the first time I’ve seen her since we told her our news. I’m expecting tears, to get the life squeezed out of me, and possibly knitting... We’ve promised to fix her PC in the morning and then we’re back to a local gastro pub for Sunday Lunch for a belated birthday celebration for hubs with my family. Back to ours for coffee and cake after.
    So glad I only have a 3 day week next week! xx
  • SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride
    Hi ladies glad you are all doing okay! I'm 15 weeks now too :) think we are doing our Facebook announcement today or tomorrow now we've finally told everyone we need to in person.

We will definitley be finding out the gender as I'm just not that patient lol. We are also struggling for boy names so I want to know in advance and give us a long time to think. However I love gender neutral clothes and nurseries so even when we find out there won't be anything pink and frilly or blue with cars on happening!
    @Mrsseebe2be Ahh as crazy as it sounds I’m glad to be having those signs, reassures me that hoping everything is going ok in there!!

I woke up with a bad head this morning, had to resort to paracetamol, which after staying in bed for a bit longer actually helped. Feeling ok again now just some cramping this afternoon.

hope everyone is ok and has a good rest of the weekend xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Happy Monday ladies!

@MrsGB2015 I can completely understand that, even though my symptoms frustrate me sometimes I find having them reassuring too.

Hope your bad head and cramping have cleared up today?

I gave in to the supernoodles yesterday and they totally hit the spot.  I can see them being a slightly more regular thing!

MIL was ok over the weekend, she wants to buy us either some nursery furniture or possibly a crib.  I've suggested when we're a bit further on that maybe we go out and look with her.  She hasn't knitted (that I know of) but she has cross-stitched us an animal alphabet blanket.  I'm not sure hubby was entirely impressed with it...

She started asking about loads of bit of furniture and things - apparently there's a practically brand new travel cot which was can have and she was also trying to give us a high chair.  It's lovely to have stuff offered, but I think I'd like to get past the 12 week scan and screening results before we decide on things like that...

How's everyone feeling?
    @Mrsseebe2be Ahh yes I am sure I will get like that once I know things are going well haha!!  Yes, not so bad today just felt a bit sick this morning - had to nick some ginger biscuits from our conference room  :D

Aww thats nice of her but yea I get what you mean about wanting to wait for the 12 week scan.  Its so hard not to get excited about things though isnt it! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• MrsMinMarch2016MrsMinMarch2016 Posts: 510 New bride
    edited September 2019
    Hi all just popping on from my balcony in Spain whilst my daughters napping!! Having an amazing time although my daughter is going through a phase of wanting to be carried everywhere which isn’t ideal at nearly 13 wks pregnant! I’m here with my mom whilst my husband works away & definitely think I’ll be ready for another break when we return Thursday! 

I was asked at the check in desk at the airport how far gone I was incase I needed a fit to fly letter and a few people hav been asking about the pregnancy here so nice to know I am looking pregnant now and not just overweight 👍

Ive had my letter from the hospital confirming I’m not in the increased risk for downs or patou / Edwards syndrome which is good although my downs chances r only 1 in 1823 which seems to be significantly lower than what they were with my
    first pregnancy so wil have to speak to the mw for reassurance, not sure if it’s my age? I’m 34 so I know the older u get...

Wer pretty definite we’re not finding out the sex this time although we did with my daughter I just think if it’s going to be our last it’s worth the extra surprise at the end!

Good luck for everyone with scans this week!! X
    @MrsMinMarch2016 - Aww super jealous you are away!!  Bless your little girl but that must be tricky for you especially in the heat!!

Enjoy the rest of your break hun xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 876 New bride
    Super jealous of your break @MrsMinMarch2016

I have read through everyone's post but the super noodles took over and now I need super noodles. Typically hubs is away, so sadly I will have to wait until tomorrow 😂

Just had my 20 week scan date through, 10th October, which doesnt feel too far away, eek!! Also started to feel Bubs wriggling this week so that's exciting. A good Monday. 
  • Mrsseebe2beMrsseebe2be Posts: 709 New bride
    edited September 2019
    @MrsGB2015 did the ginger biscuits help?

@MrsMinMarch2016 glad you’re having a lovely holiday and that your screenings came back ok. That’s not that low, anything better than 1:150 is considered low risk so it’s probably not worth worrying about. Maybe chat to your midwife when you see her though.

@Mrs17 sorry for kicking off your super noodle craving! They are SOO good though. Exciting about your 20 week scan date and about being able to feel bubs wriggling. I can’t wait for that bit.

Meant to tell you all, had baby cuddles with my ‘niece’ (technically my great foster niece I think?) at the weekend. She’s just turned 2 months old. I was sitting cradling her and she kept turning her head towards my boob, which I thought was pretty funny, then she started doing it and opening her mouth, then she went all out and started trying to lick my nipple through my t-shirt and bra! I’m assuming she could smell the pheromones as she doesn’t normally do that to people other than her mum. Was very cute and very funny.
    edited September 2019
    @Mrs17 Ekk exciting that you have your 20 week scan date - I feel so behind all you ladies! Least you are all giving me a glimpse of whats to come haha!!

@Mrsseebe2be - They did actually hun - might have to get a big pack for my drawer lol!!

Aww baby cuddles so cute!!  How sweet and funny about her turning her head towards your boob though!  :D
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

Aww that's lush about your niece!! I love a baby cuddle. 

How are you feeling @MrsGB2015

Random aside, anyone here thinking about breastfeeding? I've been buying maternity clothes this week (finally given in as I cant wear PJs to work!) and have noticed that some are 'maternity' and others are 'nursing and maternity' so hoping I might save myself a bit of money in buying for both now! 
    @Mrs17 - I'm ok just anxious about Friday - just want to know there is actually something viable in there!  I think that will help me relax, albeit only slightly haha!! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Hi @Mrs17 Yes, I had been thinking much the same.  I would like to breastfeed so I had been thinking that some of the maternity tops/dresses with the hidden access would be a sensible idea.  I know it's possible to just wear buttoned shirts rather than buy specially, but if they double up for maternity it would make more sense.

Baby cuddles were excellent, apart from when she got cross because I wasn't letting her feed from my boobs and then nutted me in the cheekbone!

@MrsGB2015 it's completely natural to be nervous.  I'm nervous for Thursday even though I've seen our little bean twice and everything was fine both times...  I know it's pointless saying not to stress because you will anyway, but try and stay distracted so you don't overthink it too much.

@Mrsseebe2be Thanks hun, yea I am trying not to worry too much but its tricky!  I had a wave of sickness earlier, had to go to the ladies as I thought I was actually going to be sick but luckily not, back on the ginger biscuits!  That is somewhat reassuring me that something is going on and all will hopefully be ok xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 940 New bride
    Hello, sorry I've been quiet. I hope you're all getting on as well as can be expected!

MrsGB, sorry you're feeling queasy. I'm glad the ginger biscuits are helping. Whenever I find something that helps, the next time it makes me feel just as nauseous so I'm having to carry a massive snack bag around because I never know what's going to help!

I had my booking appointment yesterday which was long and confusing. There seems to be a lot I have to remember and do. Next week I need to get blood tests done, which is the first Thing To Do. The midwife agreed that the scan date is more likely to be right than the date from my last period, so I guess my due date will be later than predicted. We'll find out at my scan in three weeks. I also asked her about the pink spotting I'm getting and she suggested it might be related to thrush, so I have to go to the doctor to see if that's the case. I've had thrush before and it doesn't feel like it, but it's better to be safe, I suppose.

My husband didn't accept the job offer in the end, as his current job were desperate for him not to leave so offered him a considerable pay rise. He'll still probably be working the same hours for a while, which is annoying, but at least now he's let them know he's not happy, and they say they're trying to get more staff (we'll see if that actually happens). On the plus side, it'll make buying a two-bed property that much easier, which is a Good Thing.

Apart from that things are ticking along as usual. Currently I'm struggling at work because I keep needing to go to the toilet, which isn't great when I'm supervising the public!
    @OmRum Oh no dont say that - they are the only thing that keep me going haha!!  I feel really ropey this afternoon, just want to curl up and have a sleep zzz

Thats good that your hubby's firm offered more money, fingers crossed they do get more staff! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Hey @OmRum, nice to see you back. Sorry your booking appointment was confusing, they are pretty long because of all the questions they have to ask. I’m surprised you have a long list of things to do though, didn’t they draw bloods and send them away for testing at your booking appointment? Seems daft making you go back to have them done another time.

Good news about your hubby’s job. Hopefully they will take notice and take on more staff so you can have him home at a sensible time.

@MrsGB2015 your biscuits have made me realise I have a box of ginger tea on my desk that I haven’t even tried, maybe that would help.

Ladies who have been for a 12 week scan I’d appreciate an opinion. My appointment letter is incredibly prescriptive about having a full bladder for my appointment (failure to turn up with a sufficiently full bladder will result in cancellation and rebooking another day). They’re actually saying to drink 1.5 pints of water in addition to my normal drinks an hour before the appointment and then not wee until after the appointment... when I went for my 7 week scan it was an 8:30am appointment so I had maybe half a pint of water before we left the house and then took my carry cup of decaf in the car. By the time she saw us I needed a wee so badly I couldn’t sit down and she sent me to ‘partially empty’ my bladder because if it was too full she apparently couldn’t do the scan.

I’m tempted to flout the instructions as I can’t go an hour without weeing right now without the extra fluids on board, I’m pretty sure my bladder will be full enough without risking bursting. What were other people’s experiences?
    Nice to have you back @OmRum. Good news about more money but I hope they do follow through on their attempts to get more staff! Also surprised you have a list of things to do post booking appt! 

Glad someone else is thinking about breastfeeding @Mrsseebe2be. I found the discreet 'proper' tops a godsend with my son. I assumed beforehand that I would just unbutton whatever I was wearing but that would have made me way too self conscious. Glad they make them to cover both maternity and nursing! 

I aim for 2L a day anyway so just drank what I would normally before my scan, and my bladder was definitely full. I wouldn't have managed 1.5 pints! 
    @Mrsseebe2be - I hope the tea helps lovely!

I deffo want to give breastfeeding a go if I can but will try not to put too much pressure on myself about it - easier said than done though I guess xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride
    edited September 2019
    Mrsseebee my 12 week scan letter said to drink at least 500ml of water before the scan so it seems the instructions vary. I would aim to have a full bladder but not so much you are busting!

I weed like normal before my scan and drank a 600ml bottle of water in the car on the way to the hospital. I then had a glass of water in the waiting room. I think drinking it quite close to the scan meant I had a full enough bladder but wasn't desperate for the loo!
    @Mrsseebe2be I wouldn’t worry about drinking so much, Drink as much as you would to make you need a wee but not so much that it’s uncomfortable and your desperate as they will press on your tummy a bit! I don’t understand the concept of ‘partially emptying’ your bladder as how can you stop half way through when your bursting?!! 
  • @mrseebe2be I wouldn’t worry about the full bladder thing, I weed an hour before
    my appt & only drank a bit of water in the car with the intention to drink more in the waiting room but then we wer called straight through so don’t think my bladder was particularly full! Even so it was ok & she was able to do the scan just fine.

I didn’t have the best breastfeeding journey with my daughter I tried everything but she wouldn’t latch & when she did she just wasn’t getting enough I ended up expressing & lasted about 5 wks before I turned to formula. Looking back I should’ve switched earlier though as I was torturing myself trying so much & it really took away from that magical newborn stage for me. A lot of the bf support put it down to her traumatic labour which I hav really learnt has a massive impact. I am stil going to try with this one to see how it goes but am determined to not put as much pressure on myself, I’m also going to try & do hypnobirthing & have more of a say over this labour than I did with my daughter in the hope that may hav a better outcome.
    @MrsMinMarch2016 sound like we had similar experiences with our first borns. I had a traumatic labour and was delayed seeing him for 2-3 hours after he was born as I was in theatre. By the time I got him they had already given him some milk via a cup. he really struggled to latch and as I have a large bust I struggled to get a good position and couldn’t see what was going on. I expressed for 4 weeks but once my mum had left and hubby back to work I couldn’t keep it up. I will probably do the same again as I put myself under a lot of pressure and stress and it wasn’t worth it. 
    Some of my friends struggled but persevered and got it in the end, others were naturals right from the beginning. As with everything there is no rhyme or reason to it!! 
    Fair play to both of you @mrsfbc and @MrsMinMarch2016, pumping is HARD work. I think it's hard if you want to give it a go to then not put that pressure on if it doesnt go as smoothly as you hope.

We had a really rough start with mastitis and thrush over the first couple of months, and my LB was then hospitalised for a week, but we managed to push through and after that it became *almost* easy. We kept going then to 1 year because I was too tight to switch to formula 😂 I dont know anyone else who breastfed though and those first few weeks made me completely understand why! 
    @Mrs17 it’s only the cost of formula that’s making me double think about it this time round!! As it happens when we eventually got my son started on formula turned out he had a milk allergy anyway so he ended up on prescription formula, which we obviously didn’t have to pay for so I’ve no idea how much formula would cost us per week. I’ll see how it goes, maybe this tome it will be super easy and I’ll wonder why I never persevered last time but I will absolutely move onto formula quickly if it doesn’t work for us. Interestingly last time I remember being asked at every midwife appointment if I was planning to breast feed but not one ha asked me so far. 
  • Thanks guys, your input has reassured me.  I honestly think if i'm still retroverted they'll end up going internal again anyway, but I do think that the guidelines from our hospital are stupidly onerous.  I can only assume that they were having loads of cancellations and decided to do this to prevent future ones.  By the time I've spent any length of time in the car I'll need a wee anyway because they's how I roll at the minute.

My niece is breastfeeding fine and expressing and I know the midwife service near us provide lots of support to assist with latching and feeding so I definitely want to give it a go.  I know lots of people do have problems so I'm cautiously hopeful about doing it but allowing for the possibility that it won't work.  I'm expecting a bit of judgement from my future SIL if I don't end up breastfeeding as she has decided she definitely will be despite not planning to start TTC until January 2021....