Forum home You & Your Baby

Due May/June/July 2020

• MrsGB I did tell the nurse I was 11 weeks before she gave me the jab. I also had another look at the NHS website and it says you can get the flu jab at any stage during pregnancy. But I googled a little  more and there was a study done in 2017 that somewhat linked early miscarriage to flu jabs before 20 weeks. But it was deemed inconclusive by most of the scientific community.
    So I guess if you want to be safe you could wait until 20 weeks. But to me the risk of getting the flu whilst pregnant seems much higher. And my midwife advised me to get the flu shot as soon as possible.

So nice to hear from you Hannah and what a lovely scan picture!
    Yes the booking appointment does drag a bit doesn't it.
    I am glad everybody else's boobs haven't gotten massive yet.

So my pelvic pain got really bad on Saturday after we went out to town. I tried to call my midwife and various pregnancy units. Even NHS24. But no one was picking up. So I ended up going to A&E and discovered I have a UTI. I am now on antibiotics. 4 per day for three days. Although I vomited one up yesterday. My gag reflex is really sensitive and I find pills difficult to swallow. But the pain has already gotten better.
  • MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,891 New bride

@Pf2016 – Ahh I think I’ve just got confused – I will look into getting it done ASAP.  How many weeks are you again?  I don’t feel as bad as I did but definitely tired!  Think it was more due to not sleeping great last night!!

@DandelionBlue – Aww thanks for the info lovely, I will have to look into getting it done! Not so good on the UTI front, you poor thing!  Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick and it eases for you xx

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015
    Miracle Baby due April 2020

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
    Also, have you seen the news this morning about Mothercare? 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/10272546/mothercare-administration-news-uk/
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 831 New bride
    Yes I saw MrsGB.  Just checked their website, there are some cute clothes on sale but I'm nervous to order in case the order never arrives.  Our local store closed last year and the closest is about 45 minutes away (though it is massive so might be worth a trip to see if there are any bargains.)  We've lost our Mothercare and Toys R Us in the last year or two, there's hardly anywhere local left to buy stuff for babies (thank god for Sainsburys!)
    @Pf2016 - I feel sorry for the staff.  Its such a shame, theres hardly anywhere left on the high street now :( 

I will be keeping an eye out for any bargains as selfish as that sounds  :#
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• That is a real  shame about Mothercare closing.  And what a tragedy for all the staff.
    I also found it very difficult to find any baby stuff on the High Street. There is a Jojomamanbėbė where I live and John Lewis a bit further away.
    I will be keeping an wye out for a bargain though too.
  • MrsNH17MrsNH17 Posts: 650 New bride
    It’s a shame about mothercare definitely. But unfortunately I never found it that competitive price wise and the service wasn’t great compared with places like John Lewis (which is where I got a lot of our stuff first time round as they price match, have good returns, good customer service etc! The John Lewis delivery man knew us very well when my first was born heh heh!  
    I might however pop down to mothercare at some point because I could do with checking out the pillows and duvets for toddlers. 
    I’m got a stinking cold at the moment and feel so rubbish I just want to stay in bed. I have tuesdays off and usually take my little one swimming but she’s full of cold too so I’m going to give it a miss today which is a shame as it does get us out and about early on! But I don’t think wet hair out in the cold and rain after will be good for either of us! Might see if I can muster the energy for soft play or something later but we are currently just playing with duplo with peppa pig on in the background! 
  • DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,455 New bride
    edited November 2019
    I'm sorry you are feeling rough MrsNH. It's difficult when you are pregnant and you can't do much about a cold. Maybe just take it easy since you are both sick and don't feel too guilty about it.

I have my scan tomorrow morning and feeling incredibly nervous. I have read way too much about missed miscarriages for my own good.

I am also stressing because I am planning to tell my work after, if everything goes well at the scan. Maybe on Friday in case they have a bad response to it.
    I am not even sure who to tell first. My team leader. The Office manager. Or the strategy director who interviewed me and happens to be the sister of one of the main directors. There is no HR at my office. Or maybe I need to arrange a meeting with all of them. I would have known what to do at my old office but am struggling to figure it out here.

I should probably give them an indication on how long I plan to go on maternity leave. But I can't make my mind up. 
    Ideally I would like to take as much maternity leave as I can to bond with baby. And because childcare is expensive. But work situation wise it's probably better if I make it a shorter length.
    Since it's my first, I am not sure when to start my maternity leave either. I just don't know what to expect.

What is everyone else doing?

I slept really badly and have a banging headache the last few days.

@MrsNH17 – Aww sorry you are feeling unwell ☹ As Dandelion has said take it easy as you’re not feeling good and don’t beat yourself up about it lovely.

@DandelionBlue – Aww hun, I was really worried about missed miscarriages also, but I am sure all will be well, keep us updated!!  What time is your scan?

In regard to telling your work, I would probably start with team leader and go from there hun.  I plan to take the full year off but I’ve not yet discussed this with anyone, although money could change my mind on that haha!

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• MrsNH17MrsNH17 Posts: 650 New bride
    edited November 2019
    Thanks everyone, ended up doing not much at all and just relaxing at home.

Dandelion - I’m sure your scan will be just fine, try not to get too worked up as you’ll only have a bad nights sleep overthinking things. Assuming all is well I’d start with telling your immediate team leader and ask what the process is on terms of who else you need to tell or whether they’d like to. I told all the partners at my work yesterday (ie the various bosses immediately superior to me) and they were all very nice. Our global group head also happened to be in our office yesterday who is very very senior and my boss told him (I’d have told him myself as we get on well) and he came over to say congrats and was very nice so I feel all the key people know now. Those I work with and manage etc can find out in the ordinary course as I’m totally relaxed about people knowing now. Our business is huge though so as I think I’ve said before, they are well versed in all this and very PC about it all - there’s always someone off on maternity leave or pregnant most of the time! 

As for time off I’ll have a year again I think. Or a bit more with accrued holiday (I had about 13.5 months last time!).
    Good luck today Dandelion!  I'm sure it will be fine.  Hope you're feeling better MrsN.

• Thank you ladies for your kind words and advice. I will tell my line manage on Friday. Yikes!

The scan went well! Such relief! Baby is measuring at 12 weeks + 1. So has caught up. My new due date is the 19th of May.
    Baby was being very naughty. Entirely too comfortable in a position that didn't allow the ultrasound lady to measure the nuchal fold. She made me roll over and empty my bladder. I even drank orange juice and had a sweet snack before the scan.
    We got  there in the end. But baby was very relaxed or "as lazy as you" according to my husband.

• MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 1,381 New bride
    Oh congratulations dandelion glad all went well and hopefully you feel a bit more relieved now. Our little one was exactly the same! She would not move out of the same position no matter what we did, it took them ages to get the measurements they needed. She was the same at the 20 week scan. My husband always says she takes after me being lazy 🤣 hopefully it means she will be chilled when she arrives haha
    Aw congratulations!  So glad it went well.
    Will catch up properly later but just wanted to say congrats glad it went well @DandelionBlue - that was the same with our bubs too, so chilled back the lady jabbed me so much with the scanner it started to hurt! haha! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Aww Thank you ladies.

MrsPope and MrsGB I am glad I am not the only one who has a very chilled baby. I got jabbed loads too MrsGB and it hurt. I am also hoping the same MrsPope that baby will be just as chilled out of the womb.

Anyone else think the men get a better deal out of the scans. My husband was able to watch everything. I only got to see baby when she turned around the screen briefly for me.

I have a feeling baba is a girl. But no nub to test the nub theory on. 
    @DandelionBlue - it hurts doesnt it!  I swear I was bruised lol!!

Luckily, they had a screen up that we both could see, so no unfairness going on for us.  Although when we went for our private scan, hubby was trying to peak before she switched the big screen on - such a rat! haha

I am now back to thinking a girl for me but I change my mind regularly haha!! Poor child will be so confused when they finally arrive lol!!

I cant remember if you've said but are you going to find out what you are having? xx 
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Hannah343Hannah343 Posts: 302 New bride
    edited 23 February

@Hannah343 – I know so sad about Mothercare ☹ will deffo be keeping an eye out for deals though! Yay for finally having your appointment, wont be long now hun!!

I deffo can’t hide it now, I feel huge!  I’ve definitely popped out the last few weeks, had to buy some maternity pjs as only 1 of my “winter” ones are all too tight apart from one and obviously I cant wear the same ones continuously lol!

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,455 New bride
    edited November 2019
    MrsGB That is so good that they had a screen for both of you to see. But you have a very naughty husband lol.

We are indeed planning to find out. Our 20 week scan is on the 3rd of January.
    I am really tempted to go for a private gender scan at 16 weeks though so that we know before Christmas. Also the experience at the private scan was so much better, since I got to watch the whole thing on a massive screen and their ultrasound is of much clearer quality.

I keep changing my mind on the gender of the baby. But the scan picture makes me think girl. Because of the form of the skull. No nub on my pictures though to take a guess on.

Yay Hannah. You must be so happy to have a scan date. I hope time flies by for you until then.
    It is difficult to keep it a secret, when it's all you want to talk about.

We actually announced on Facebook last night. I was in two minds about doing it, since I still remember how painful it was to see announcements when we were struggling. But my husband was so excited about it and I really wanted to celebrate everything being ok at the 12 week scan. Plus our friends live all other the world. 
    So we went out and bought our first items for baby after work.

@DandelionBlue - Yes, hubby is naughty! He did it at all our scans so far, no controlling him!!

Private scans are much better, we had a big screen to watch on also and the quality is much better as you say!

Aww love that announcement pic, that little baby grow is cute!! How exciting!! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

Oh I love that babygrow Dandelion!  

Hannah glad to hear the bands are helping, and not long now until your 12 week scan and being able to announce!  You must be so happy to have gotten this far and I hope you feel more relaxed now.

We had our 12 week scan this morning!  And all is well.  I got told off for not having a full enough bladder - I kindve figured my breakfast, tea and bottle of water would have filtered through by 9am but apparently not.  Still they managed to see the baby and get some photos and all the measurements.  And surprise surprise they have moved me forwards by 5 days, dating me today at 12+6.  I knew I had ovulated early because we totally missed DTD in my 'fertile' week and then I got such an early BFP.  So new due date is 15th May.  Annoyingly they asked for preferences for time/day for our 20 week scan and we said early, but it's been booked in for 30th Dec when we will both be off work, at 8.30am!  No lie in for us that day then.  NT measurement was 1.7 which is considered normal so just a 3 day wait to see what the combined risk is now.
    PS.  Our hospital has a monitor for the sonographer and a TV screen on the wall in front of the bed for the parents, so we have a great view.  \dandelion sounds like you're short changed!

@Pf2016 – Aww yay for 12 week scan – how funny that every hospital is different on the full bladder front, mine said I didn’t need one!! That’s typical for the 20 week scan, no lie in but we wont get many of them when baby arrives hey! I said id like as many as I can now though  :D

I cant wait for our next scan it seems such a big gap between them, I am anxious to know all is still well although my growing tummy can prove that I guess haha!! Just over 5 weeks to go until our scan, I will be nearly 21 weeks by then!!

That sounds like our hospital with the monitor situation too xx

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

You never know MrsGB - our daughter LOVES sleep, and we often have to wake her up in the morning!  And when she wakes up first she often just lies in her bed talking/singing to herself.  Our friends with kids all hate us haha!  I am sure that karma will be re balanced with this baby and they will be an absolute nightmare and wake up at 5.30am every day  :D
    @Pf2016 - Aww bless, you are lucky then!! Fingers crossed this baby wont be a nightmare for you!!

Haha well baby is quite a lazy baby so far but I think we will end up with a terror as my pregnancy hasnt been too bad (touch wood that doesnt really change!) although like you say never know could be a little angel lol xxx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Thank you ladies!

I am so glad your scan went well Pf! Did baby move about? 
    Your scan is so close to New Year! We have to come back a bit earlier than we had planned for our scan. Since we thought baby wasn't quite as far along.
    I was definitely the calm easy baby and my little sister cried all the time unless she was skin to skin lol.
    Definitely feel short changed on the scan front. I guess every hospital is different.

MrsGB The anxiety never goes away I guess. Hopefully the five weeks will fly by for you. I find the end of the year usually tends to do so.

I am going to tell my team leader tomorrow morning. Planning to go in a little early, since he tends to be there before our official hours start. Feeling sick to my stomach with nerves though.
    I don't regret being pregnant at all, don't get me wrong, but part of me feels really guilty that we didn't stop trying until my probation was over. On the other hand it took us so long, and who knows if it would have happened another time.

• So I told my team leader who took it well. I was in two minds about going into detail but ended up telling him it wasn't planned this way. And he said there were more important things in life than work. But he said I need to tell the Director. There is not much he can do himself. The Director is on holidays today. So I need to wait until Monday.
    @DandelionBlue - No the anxiety never goes away, well I am hoping it will ease once I start to feel baby as right now I just feel bigger and nothing else!!

Glad the team leader took it well, he is right there are more important things in life than work!!  I am sure all will work out hun, as someone that took so long and went through so much with trying, I definitely wouldnt of held off so dont worry about that side of it.

I am so cold today!!  It was misty around my area when I got up and drove to work and I just want to go hibernate haha!!  Thank god its Friday!! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Thank you MrsGB. Feeling better this evening. Don't know if it's because I have a couple of days before I need to tell my boss or if telling my team leader relieved some of my anxiety.

It was certainly freezing today.

We are heading to mothercare tomorrow. Is anyone else?

Also fully booked my NCT classes today.

I keep gazing at the scan picture and can't get over baby's little face