Forum home You & Your Baby

Due May/June/July 2020

• Hannah343Hannah343 Posts: 302 New bride
    edited 23 February
  • MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,891 New bride
    @Hannah343 I stayed off work today as I just felt so drained this morning but slowly feeling better as the day goes on.

Not long until your private scan, exciting! How many weeks will you be then?

At my booking in appointment they asked things like has anyone had pre eclampsia in pregnancy, high blood pressure, learning difficulties, health problems and things like have I ever been pregnant before, allergies etc.

They were only interested in immediate family, as my niece has a heart condition but they said that she’s further down the chain so not too concerned.

I hope that helps xx 
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015
    Miracle Baby due April 2020

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
  • I hope you are having a nice weekend ladies.

We were off to Scotland, because my husband met up with his uni friends.
    Had quite a bit of pain when walking yesterday. Not cramps. More like a pressure/ bruised feeling. But it's gone today.
    Bought some maternity wear from Dorothy Perkins on the drive back. They have a 25% sale today.
    Then got back home to a letter from the NHS telling me I am rhesus negative. And now I am in a panic because of my subchrionic hemorrhage at 6 weeks. 😔

Sorry you've been feeling unwell MrsGB. I hope you are doing better now.

Hannah I think the questions at the booking appointment are mainly there to assess if you are high risk. So things like MrsGB said. Whether any close relatives have diabetes, migraines, hepatitis. I would run through your husband's family history with him. But as MrsGB said they are only interested in close relatives. So up to your grandparents.

Thanks Pf for your kind words. I have not told my grandad yet.  It didn't feel right at the time. But hopefully it will be a bit of comfort in a horrible time, when I do tell him.
  • MrsNH17MrsNH17 Posts: 650 New bride
    Sorry to hear about your gran dandelion, hope you are ok. 

Also on the rhesus negative point, I am also negative  (found out first pregnancy). It made no difference to the pregnancy at all and  didn’t need anti d injections as baby also negative blood type. I note you mention the hemorrhage and I don’t know what impact that has (negative or positive blood type) but honestly there’s no reason a negative blood type really has to mean anything at all so try not to stress about it at this stage. Hope the cramping has stopped too, isn’t pregnancy just a blooming joy with the extra aches and pains!

i had my spa day yesterday and told my other group of mates which was nice. I couldn’t make use of the jacuzzi but sat on side with legs in and chatted away. Got my scan on Friday (finally!) so will be glad to have that and hopefully see healthy baby and whatnot.
    xx

@DandelionBlue – I am slowly getting there – I have had such bad headaches on and off all weekend.  Then I worried myself with my FitBit and resting heart rate as its dropped down and its scared me, I am sure all is ok but can’t help but worry.

That’s exciting that you brought some maternity bits but I hope the pain has subsided now for you.

@MrsNH17 – That sounds like a lovely day, could do with a spa trip to chill out tbh!  How exciting that your scan is on Friday also!!

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 831 New bride
    So jealous of your spa trip MrsN!  I would love that right now.  I had a really nice weekend, seeing friends both days as well as a walk on the beach Sunday morning, lots of digging sandcastles and puddle jumping with my daughter.
    Dandelion I have had some pain too this weekend.  Really uncomfortable in my tummy and spreading into my thighs, I have had to take paracetamol and have a bath on Friday - I actually thought I could be miscarrying.  I think it was trapped wind / slow digestion!!!  I'm going to get some linseed back in my life to keep everything moving properly!
    Enjoy your booking appointment Hannah - it's nothing exciting but I like having little milestone appointments to look forward to.  10 days til our 12 week scan!  If everyone wants I will update the front page with due dates but wanted to wait at least until 12 weeks - let me know if/when you want your dates added.
    Just a quick update - I did actually call the pregnancy advice line, just to stop me stressing and she asked me what my resting heart was and said it was perfectly normal.  I went over the fact I had really bad headaches and increased CM but like we've already said, she said it was all normal and not to worry.  If my FitBit is stressing me, to just take it off, just as I thought they would say but I feel better hearing it from them.  
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• MrsGB I believe it is normal for your heart rate to fluctuate during pregnancy. Especially after the first weeks. I don't think there is much research into it yet actually. I used to wear my ava bracelet and did in my first weeks after I found out. But then my stats started dropping. And like you I panicked. The girls on the Ava pregnancy group told me to stop wearing the bracelet. That they all went through the same thing. I am not wearing my fitbit for the same reason. 

Pf Do your friends know you are pregnant? I am glad I am not the only one with pain. Although sorry you were scared you were miscarying. 
    It's 9 days to our scan. So excited but absolutely terrified at the same time.

MrsNH Your spa date sounds wonderful! And so nice that you could tell your friends.
    I am glad I am not the only rhesus negative lady here. Do you happen to know how likely it is that baby is also negative. I texted my midwife on sunday but haven't heard back from her. So will call the number on my paper tomorrow. Although I really don't want work to overhear.

I slept really badly last night. Got myself all worked up about telling work. I am planning to tell them.after the scan if everything is ok. But at the same time am stressed to tell them I have another doctor's appointment, since they don't know yet.
    Also had a pretty bad day symptoms wise. Felt nauseous from morning until now. And the pain in my uterus is back. Also had really bad heartburn. And it feels like someone is pinching my right boob really hard. I haven't really had sore breast since the first week after I found out.
    I am sorry I always seem to be moaning.

@DandelionBlue – Ahh yea I know in the back of my mind it was probably normal and nothing to worry about but hey I am a crazy pregnant lady lol!  I feel better since speaking to the pregnancy advice line and I have still got it on purely for a watch at the moment until my other watch is fixed then I am taking it off!!

Sorry to hear you are feeling low but don’t apologise for moaning, we all have our moments!!  I know its easy to say but try not to stress yourself out about work, I used to be like you in my old department and it didn’t help and 99% of the time it was all fine and I worried for nothing!

Heartburn is awful, I had it so bad the other night – try a glass of milk, see if that helps.  I hope you feel a bit better today lovely xx

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

I feel your pain with the heartburn Dandelion - not too bad this pregnancy but last one it was a killer in the last trimester.  I ended up with a prescription (free!) for the non-branded version of Gaviscon which got me through - I couldn't bear to take another Rennie by the end.  Sorry you're worried about telling work.  It's such a stress isn't it and definitely worse for you with being on probation.  But try not to worry.  Worst case scenario, they let you go and you claim SMA instead of SMP - no difference to you financially (assuming your practice doesn't pay enhanced mat pay, most don't!)  Then when you need to return to work, you either ask them for your old job back or find somewhere new.  It's not ideal but even if it happens, you will manage, it doesn't need to be the end of the world.  Just get that doctor's appointment in the diary now, if anyone asks just say 'women's problems' and they will all be too embarrassed to ask any further questions!!  I still have a few important clients I need to tell, but am trying to put it off until after my scan next week.

Yes my friends this weekend all know I'm pregnant....I guess I'm just fairly chilled about it, and if the 12 week scan does bring bad news, I'll just let them all know - I've said before I'm a massive over-sharer.  I think having had a good pregnancy last time I am definitely more relaxed this time, I know it can all go well so I am just acting like it will.  It might come back to bite me, but I figure there's no point worrying about it in advance, when it could all be fine. I know that's easier for some than others, but seems to be OK for me.

Glad you've rested your mind re. your heartbeat MrsGB!

Hannah how are you?  We are a small thread aren't we!  
    PS.

My mum just bought me some maternity dungarees from Sainsburys - heelloooooo comfort.  SO much nicer than my old maternity jeans.  They are obviously huge but I am going to live in them from now on!  (Good job I work from home.)
    @Pf2016 - Thanks hun eased me until the next thing haha - 14 weeks today ekk!!  Still seems sooo long until I see the midwife again - 2 weeks tomorrow.  Do you remember from your first if you get to hear the heartbeat at the 16 week appointment?  I am hoping we do but I have read conflicting information.  If it doesnt get mentioned I may ask, cant hurt right?

Haha love that - I live in my maternity jeggings at the weekend, shame I cant wear them to work!!  As you say, bit big but very comfy!  Luckily, I can wear leggings etc and can still fit in my normal ones and they arent getting too tight yet, so thats a win! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

edited October 2019
    @MrsGB2015 I didn’t get to hear the heartbeat at my last 16 week appt with my first but most other people did! So I asked the next time I had a MW appt and they happily did it so just ask if they don’t offer. (Some don’t offer as sometimes they have trouble finding it for no concerning reason but obvs it massively stresses mum out so some have a practice of just not offering!)

@DandelionBlue try not to stress. That’s easier for me to say as I’m a lot more laid back second time round but honestly stressing about all these things isn’t worth your time or energy, what will be will be. Generally I found myself surprised by things generally being far better than planned - like my work were nothing but congratulatory both times, but they are a big organisation and well versed to it being a fact of life people go off on maternity! if you’re is a professional place you won’t be the first or the last to take mat leave I’m sure so try not to overthink it. They were just keen to have me come back when I was done!
     As for rhesus negative if you are negative and husband negative then it’s almost certain baby will be too. If husband positive then i think it depends on how many copies of the antigen his blood has - two means baby likely to be positive and one means a 50/50’chance. But essentially they were able to do a blood test on me (maybe at my 16 week appt?) which meant they could also determine baby’s blood type and knew she was negative so I never needed anti d injections. I assume the same thing will be done again this time round and we will take it from there.  (That might mean hubby likely has a negative blood type although I still don’t think either of us know his blood type lol but if he does this baby should be negative too). I don’t remember it being a particularly big deal though in terms of anyone being overly concerned about it pre getting the results, I think it’s more if you have negative and baby was positive and then you had a bad accident such that bloods could mix there would be more of an issue but otherwise it’s all very manageable. I had to remind them when she was born though that she was negative and neither of us needed anti d or whatever the on birth suggestion was!

@Pf2016 I’m busting out the maternity wear soon too - just got it all out from storage as my work trousers getting too tight now as noticed second time round my stomach has bloated easier and my trousers were rather fitted anyway! I have some nice stuff from seraphine but also I feel I bought a fair bit of rubbish last time so I might invest in a couple of quality new pieces that can double for nursing as found I got far better use of the things I spent more on (despite resenting it at the time). Last time I’d kept some clothes from when I was heavier a few years ago (a dress size or two up) so they did me as “maternity” for a while but it’s all a bit shabby now so I’m not sure I’ll really use that stuff this time! Once I’ve had my scan on Friday I’ll think about shopping. 

@hannah343 how was your booking in appt?
    @MrsNH17 - Ahh thanks hun, yes that makes sense that they wouldnt want to stress mum out!  If they dont offer I will ask as you say as I am hoping to hear it again as makes me feel better considering I cant feel anything yet and it still feels surreal lol!! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Thank you ladies for your kind reassuring words a out my work situation. It has really helped ease my mind.

I am glad you aren't stressed about your heartbeat anymore MrsGB. I'll give the glass of milk a go. Does hot chocolate count 😉
    You are in your second trimester aren't you MrsGB?
    What do you wear at work? We can't dress to informally in my office.

Pf It's nice that you are in a good mindset about the pregnancy and feel relaxed enough to tell your friends. I imagine it's a completely different experience when you aren't trying to hide it from everyone.
    We are indeed a very small group. I was really hoping a few more ladies would join us.
    Oooo. Maternity dungarees! I bet they look cute and are super comfortable. Just annoying when you need to pee lol

Thank you MrsNH for the explanation on Rhesus Negative. To be honest we have no idea what blood group my husband is. I think rhesus negative is quite rare though. But they did say I would get a blood test at 16 weeks to find out what baby is.
    I also called the midwife today to ask a out the bleed and my blood type. And she told me they don't give pregnant women the shot before 12 weeks.
    What was your favourite maternity wear? I also tried to pick tops that I would be able to wear when I'm nursing.

Hannah How did your appointment go?

I looked on the NCT website this morning and noticed that the classes were up for my due date range. So I filled in the form. They are going to reserve the space for 10 days. So I will pay after my scan, if all goes well.
    Is anyone else planning to do NCT classes? We are totally new to this area, so I am hoping to make some friends. I know my hospital also offers classes. Their are even some on hypnobirthing and breastfeeding. So I might do those too. They have given me a form to fill in  for my 12 week scan.

Still have had the pulling / pressure sensation today. But it is much lower, almost in my lady parts. I talked to my midwife and she said that it is probably normal, to wait until my scan and take it easy until then. I hope it just has to do with my uterus growing. And not that my muscles down there are too weak.
    Not feeling too nauseous today. But the heartburn has started up again this evening.

@DandelionBlue – Haha hot chocolate would be better hey 😉 Yes, 2nd trimester has begun – still feels so surreal.  I cannot wait to feel baby then it will feel more real and obviously ease my anxieties lol!

I wear things like dresses and leggings mostly since being pregnant, when I could fit in my trousers, I wore those with nice tops, but they are a bit tight and I don’t want to buy maternity ones yet, so leggings are sufficing.  We are quite lucky that we can get away with most things, we can also dress down on a Friday, so jeans and t-shirt kind of thing.

How funny you mention NCT as we have been going back and forth about this the last few days.  I have been asking people locally that have recently had babies and they seem to think its worth it.  Think we have decided to go for it and also do the hospital ones as they are free and obviously at the actual hospital with midwives so feel that will be beneficial also.

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

We did NCT first time round and I would definitely recommend it.  It wasn't perfect but it was informative, and we were one of 8 couples, doing it over about 4 or 5 evenings, so we made really good friends.  We don't see each other as a big group much anymore but there are a couple of girls I've really bonded with and that friendship alone is worth the price.  One of them is having her second just a month or two before me so we will be on maternity leave together again.  I know this has been discussed on some of the other groups, and it's true there is a slight bias towards a more 'natural' birth, but our classes still went into great detail to inform us about pain relief, C-Sections etc.  The only thing they weren't doing (I'm not sure if this changed because it became a bit of a national controversy) is that their policy was to not teach anything about bottle feeding.  They really push breast feeding.  Which is great, but I honestly don't know any mum that didn't use a bottle at some point.  Our daughter was jaundiced and even though she latched and breast fed fine usually, she wouldn't feed for hours at a time when she was a newborn.  The community midwife came round and she wanted me to express milk for a bottle to top her up - but we were so unprepared.  We had a couple of bottles but no steriliser etc. So I would say, definitely go for it with NCT, it's worth it, but have an open mind about everything, and definitely get bottles and a steriliser.  Even if you want to exclusively breast feed, most people want to introduce a bottle before too long, or the baby will refuse it later and you're tied to them, can never leave the, and dad never gets to do a feed.

We also signed up for the hospital class but we cancelled in the end because we felt the NCT classes were enough.  Our hospital doesn't do tours anyway, just virtual ones on their website.  I might sign up for their hypnobirthing class this time though.  First time round I was super sceptical about hypnobirthing (I had the audio books and we did some at NCT and I found it to be really 'hippy' and not for me) but now I've experienced labour, I feel like I can definitely see the benefits of trying to breath your way through the contractions and not tense up.  So will see more about that when I'm a bit further down the line.
    @Pf2016 - Thanks for your thoughts on NCT - I think we've decided we will go for it - just awaiting a response from the lady as they were doing a show offer and I want to make sure I have been given the price with this taken off before I book! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

edited October 2019
    Just to put my two pennies worth in I would also recommend NCT. I wouldn’t say I found the class content itself that useful in retrospect (there are things they spend ages on that I don’t think made a difference and then things they don’t really address like recovery, tears, intervention etc that I think would be more useful to be informed on. I hear hospital classes do a better job of that). HOWEVER we had a great group and I saw the girls and babies loads throughout maternity, and a couple of them in particular I saw many times a week and it was just so great having that friendship group in exactly the same stage as me (although I was early and all their babies were late!!). 

Also I thought I was going to be on my own out of NCT lot having second baby but one has also just announced! And it’s the girl I saw the most of / did the most with so I am super chuffed to have a pal again. 

Also @[email protected] I ended up with a bottle refuser! My little girl just refused a bottle no matter what so I had to exclusively breastfeed from the boob forever! (Well obviously it eased the pressure once food cane along and less milk required). But assuming this baby breastfeeds,  I’m going to also introduce a bottle early this time (not waiting 6 weeks!) as it was very tying. Loved breastfeeding and luckily we had no issues with it but I’d like more flexibility this time (even if it’s still all expressed). 
    Morning ladies,

Hope everyone's ok? Its been a quiet few days in here

Almost the weekend - thankfully I need some R&R!  Hubby has just text asking if I want Chinese tonight - er.. hell yes! haha!!
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

All good at this end! Had my scan today - baby was wriggling all over the place and lying on its side. Took ages for it to get into the position on the pic- naughty baby! 

Next scan booked in right after Christmas (making me 21 +2weeks). Annoying they are always that bit delayed (or the receptionist can’t count?!?). 
    @MrsNH17 - Aww naughty baby but lovely pic in the end!

Haha maybe she cant? I guess its a tricky time of year though?  Must be frustrating for you though - my "20 week" scan is the day before ill be 21 weeks and thats annoying enough having to wait that bit longer, so i feel you! xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

• Oh!! What a cute little bun in the oven MrsNH! It must have been amazing to see baby wriggling around.
     I think your receptionists cannot count lol!
    Any hunch if baby is team blue or pink?

How was the Chinese MrsGB? 
    We are also thinking of doing both the NCT and NHS classes.

My hospital actually offers a hypnobirthing class Pf2016. So I am considering taking that as well. It can only help surely.
    Although I am hoping to breastfeed, I am thinking of starting to pump pretty early on too. I want my husband to be able to do some of the feeds. So will need to look into bottles and sterilisers.
    On the topic of breastfeeding, I have pretty small boobs and they don't really seem to be growing either. I had slightly tender boobs last week but that is gone now. I am worried I won't have a milk supply. How are everyone else's boobs doing?

I got the flu shot this morning. It was just me and lots of elderly people at the GP. Is anyone else getting it?
    I still feel like someone kicked me in the crotch. I will talk to someone about it at my scan next week.
    Still feeling really nauseous too. At the moment the only thing I can stomach in the oven is spaghetti bolognese.
    I thought my bump had started growing but woke up to a much flatter stomach this morning. So it must just have been bloating.
    I am starting to get really nervous about my scan on Wednesday. I just hope baby is ok.

Hannah I hope you are doing ok.

@DandelionBlue Chinese was sooo good!! Haha!!

Yea we are going to do both nct and nhs I think too!

My midwife told me I couldn’t get the flu jab until like 20 weeks?! Confused now lol!

On the boob subject I don’t think mine are really growing either! I’ve been thinking the same tbh, hopefully they will the further we get into pregnancy xx
    Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

edited 23 February
    edited 23 February
  • Sorry just jumping in here MrsGB I think it’s the whooping cough vaccine you don’t get until 20 weeks. My midwife advised me to wait to have the flu vaccine at the same time so maybe she was saying the same, although still a bit odd with the time of year I’d thought they’d give it to you sooner rather than later.

Congratulations on the scan Hannah!

@Hannah343 – Thanks lovely – Feeling better about it all now just a silly moment! Lovely scan, glad all is going well but understand your anxiety, fingers crossed you get your appointment in soon!!

@MrsPB2019 – Ahh could well be, my heads a mess with everything tbh you are probably right lol!

I am so tired again this morning, I thought the 2nd trimester things were meant to get better!! Haha!!

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

Yes MrsGB I think MrsPB is right, it's whooping cough you have after 20 weeks.  I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago, you should get it ASAP because it takes 2-3 weeks to give you full protection.  It also protects the baby for the first few weeks/months of their life (as does whooping cough.)  You can also get it free at Boots, I went and didn't have my exemption letter yet but they didn't ask for proof, just marked me as pregnant.

Congratulations MrsN and Hannah on your scans!  Great that your babies are all coming along well.  My scan is Thursday. I'm really excited!

Don't worry about small boobs and breastfeeding, it doesn't make any difference.  I am a D cup and had plenty of milk to begin with but my milk supply just dropped off at 4-5 months, I struggled on for ages until my mum had a stern word and I started using formula, which was such a relief.  I won't be so hard on myself this time.  Other mum friends I know with naturally smaller boobs fed for 13+ months.  Your boobs will grow hugely when your milk comes in (it hurts!) but will settle down after a day or two.
    Cross-post MrsGB!

My exhaustion has really eased off this week, I'm still tired but don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog anymore which is great.  I hope yours picks up soon!