My works maternity policy - help!!!

Why can't they just be written in plain english - or am i just thick?!!

I had my mirena coil removed a few weeks ago and we've done the deed a few times now and IF (i know it's highly unlikely) we were to get pregnant now, i need to clarify my work policy.

It's says, to be entitled to full occupational mat leave "1 year and above (at the 11th week before expected week of child birth)"

So, i automatically think that means 29 weeks pregnant (40-11=29)

But, later on it talks about giving notice of when you intend to leave to commence mat leave and this should be given "by the 15th week before her expected week of childbirth (i.e. 26 weeks pregnant)"

I'd have thought the 15th week before EDD was 25 weeks?!

Can someone clarify this for me? I've not said anything to my colleagues/line manager about TTCing yet so am worried about contacting HR!!!

Thanks!

Lottie x

• Hi Lottie, it's difficult to advise you without seeing the full policy, however i can tell you that everyone who wants to qualify for statutory mat leave has to notify their employer the date they intend to start their mat leave 15 weeks before their expected week of childbirth (25 weeks pregnant), that's the goverment requirement. As for the other part i think that refers to the amount of pay you get as it sounds as though it depends on your lengh of service it usually does. Hope that helps abit, let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck with TTC xxxx

• For your full occupational maternity leave and pay you need to have 1 complete continuous year of employment service or longer by the time you are 29 weeks pregnant. If you have less than this you will probably get statutory maternity pay only or need to go to the job centre plus for Maternity Allowance.

You need to officially give notice to your employer of your intention to take maternity leave, 15 weeks before you are due

If baby comes early, your maternity leave will start earlier than you had given notice for it to start. If you are ill for a pregnancy related illness in the 4 weeks immediately before your due date, your maternity leave will be automatically triggered.

Best of luck, Sue x