Forum home You & Your Baby

faetal hrert monnitor

did anyone use one of these, if so how far gone was you when you got one and where did you get it from

• I haven't used one - but they sell them in Argos - £24.99 I think.

Midwife can hear it from about 13-14 weeks with one so I suppose you could as well.

Hope this helps

Leanne

Midwife can hear it from about 13-14 weeks with one so I suppose you could as well.

Hope this helps

Leanne

Hope this helps

Leanne
  • gemsy81gemsy81 Posts: 918
    I've been leant the use of one from my sister in law since the start of my pregnancy (am now 29 + 5). I've found it to be a really nice piece of equipment to have between scans etc and before you start feeling the kicking as you can listen to your baby anytime you want (if they are in the right position). The only problem with having one is if you get overly scared - ie if you cant find the heartbeat its usually because babys hiding or your not looking in the right place but obviously it can be a panic causing piece of equipment. We heard the heartbeat for the first time before the first midwife appointment (about 11 or 12 weeks) after a week or so of trying to find it and it was quite an amazing sound.
  • HarveygHarveyg Posts: 114
    Hello

gemsy81 - do you know what one you used?

Thanks
  • HarveygHarveyg Posts: 114
    Hello

gemsy81 - do you know what one you used?

Thanks
  • BRIDE100BRIDE100 Posts: 884
    My sis has just had a baby and debated through her pregnancy whether to get one of these. In the end she didn't as she thought she would panic when she couldn't find heart beat. I think there are real pros and cons and as long as you think you can handle accepting when you can't find the heart beat and not have a huge panic then it must be so amazing to be able to hear.
  • gemsy81gemsy81 Posts: 918
    Hi sorry can't remember the make (dont have internet at home so cant check at the mo!) but its a lot like the one a midwife uses, with a probe thing and little machine attached and not like the other ones I have seen that have headphones. If you do get one - remember the baby is quite low down early on so start with the probe right near your pubic bone, then move it around really slowly. We recorded the heartbeat onto our mobile phones so we could have a record over the weeks.
  • if you do get one, do not stress if you dont find the heartbeat, as the baby could have moved and may be being awkward. my h2b wouldnt let me have one as id only stress, and im glad i didnt in the end as I spent time on maternity during my nurse taining and i know what to look out for!! Jamie had tachycardia - and id probably would have had heart failure!! turns out that it was completely normal for jamie!!
  • if you do get one, do not stress if you dont find the heartbeat, as the baby could have moved and may be being awkward. my h2b wouldnt let me have one as id only stress, and im glad i didnt in the end as I spent time on maternity during my nurse taining and i know what to look out for!! Jamie had tachycardia - and id probably would have had heart failure!! turns out that it was completely normal for jamie!!
  • Hi, i had the one from argos and it only works in later pregnancy by which time you will be able to feel baby moving. Personally it made me more stressed than it helped as i panicked when i couldn't find it in earlier stages. The ones on ebay similar to the ones midwifes used are supposed to be good but not sure how much they cost.