Forum home You & Your Baby

Am I pregnant? I feel like I have period pains!

Hi

I hope someone can help me.

I am trying to concieve, but have irregular periods, so I couldn't say exactly when i am due, but it's around now. I have been having period pains since Saturday so i was convinced that i was going to get my period soon, however i haven't come on yet.

I took two pregnancy tests this morning and they were both positive. i can't believe it! I only really took the first one, just so that I knew for sure that I wasn't pregnant as i couldn't stop thinking about it!!

The thing is that I am completely thrown now, as i had all the signs that I get before a period - stomach aches and PMT - and so really thought that I wouldn't be pregnant,

Me and my husband are convinced that the tests are wrong (they were cheap asda ones - though they should still be accurate shouldn't they?), as I really do feel like I have period pains -it's a dull ache in my stomach! could something be wrong?

I don't want to get excited yet, just in case!!

Has anyone experienced the same?

Thanks for any advice!

PS - sorry for rambling! My head is everywhere at the moment!!

• Hi, as far as I am aware (this is unprofessional advice) tests can say you are not pregnant when you are but they don't say you are when you are not. Because of the hormone the test looks for. if it is present it will show positive! You can still have period pains and what seems like PMT! My advice to you to put your mind at ease it to get yourself to the doctor and they will be able to tell for def. Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed!

• rachaelafryrachaelafry Posts: 4,271
    Dont knock the Asda pregnancy tests! They worked for me, I was exactly the same when I was TTC, I was due on the Monday and had dull period pains, was convinced I hadnt conceived but couldnt wait and did a test and i was pregnant, so chances are....you ARE pregnant, even a faint positive is always a positive so if you have done 2 and they are positive the results speak for themselves...get onto your doctor and make an appointment for a test to confirm however, they usually say the pregnancy test is more accurate than the doctors test as they can detect your HCG levels better and earlier than the old wee sample test! xxx
  • nscoadnscoad Posts: 94
    Hi

I am 31 now, but when I was 17 I had my normal period pains, but no period. I mentioned it to my boss who I was quite close to and she said I dont want to frighten you, but I had period like pains when I found out I was pregnant. So off I went to boots at lunch time and got a test and would you believe it I was pregnant. The thought hadn't even entered my head that I might be pregnant, I just thought because I had the monthly pains my period was on it's way. My son is now nearly 13 and I have also have daughter who is 10 tomorrow. I had exactly the same period like pains when i first found out i was pregnant again.

I'm no expert, but I would say the period like pains are due to your hormones and your body preparing for pregnancy.

So it sounds to me as if the tests are correct and you are pregnant -CONGRATUATIONS!

You should make an appointemnt at the doctors to confirm, but if they are anything like my doctors they say the tests you can buy over the counter are just as accurate.

I hope this puts your mind at rest are reassures you that these period like pains doesn't mean something is wrong with you or your baby. Nicki
  • Firstly, congratulations! Secondly 4 months ago I was where you are now. I have been on fertility treatment for 2 years. I didnt have periods. I am now 4 months pregnant. I got what I associated with period pains (cramps etc) they went after a few days and I was left with really tender breasts. I took a test and it was positive. When I went to my GP he didnt offer a pregnancy test but asked to see the home test I had done. He told me that all home kits are the same, that they test for HCG ( i think that is what it is called - the pregnancy hormone) Sometimes tests will say negative as they dont pick up enough of the pregnancy hormone, but I was advised to take a test a few days later. If it still says positive then assume you are and go and see your GP.

It's an amazing thing, dont worry about it! Good luck with everything.
  • Hi - firstly congrats!

I am just over 6 weeks and I still have slight period pains now and then - I have been told it's where you body is moving and growing inside to make room for the size of your baby in 9 months time!!

Don't worry and keep us updated

Leanne
  • Thank you so much for all your replies, you have really helped so much! It's nice to know that it's normal!

It's hard to sink in isn't!?! I still can't believe i got a positive result! I feel like I have to do another test tonight to be sure!!

Will definitely go to the Dr though and yes, I'll let you know what happens,

Thanks again ladies!

xx
  • rachaelafryrachaelafry Posts: 4,271
    Dont forget, you can get a false negative but there is no such thing as a false positive!! (I meant to put that on earlier)!!!
  • Congratulations! Hope everything goes well for you. Just try to relax and enjoy every minute of it because it goes so quickly! I'm pregnant with my second now and I'm going to savour every moment of it this time round because they grow up far too quickly! xx
  • Congratulations!

I felt the same way too! But 2 tests later was convinced i was pregnant!

Although my doctor was helpful, they dont test you again. They as about your tests, and symptoms, and then tell you your due date - I was expecting a great big fanfare and banners etc.....but just a hand shake and a congratulations! lol

Brilliant news bean79! x
  • Congratulations!

Yes I would very much say you are pregnant. This is coming frmo someone who was in EXACTLY the same position about 4 weeks ago! We had been TTC (only properly for the first time last month!) and I was CONVINCED my period was round the corner. All the usual signs-bloating, period type pains and even started "spotting"! at roughly the same time I usually do before period. However one day after it was actually due (even though never like clockwork) and day before I was due to go to docs to discuss some concerns I had about TTC I decided to do a preg test anyway. Something just made me wonder-and bingo!! Faint line and couldn't believe it at first, but read that it's VERy rare to get a false positive. Did two more the next day-again both positive so I would say yes you are! When I went to the docs she told me to go back in a week with a sample to be oficially tested (after telling me rather pessimistically about the high chances of miscarriage)...like I'm not a worrier already!

So....congratulations again! woo hoo!image