Membrane Sweep anyone????? sounds painful

Morning everyone,

Saw the midwife yesterday and shes booked me in for a membrane sweep end of next week. Everything i've read it sounds horrible and painful, I've also heard that they don't usually work???

image not happy want a baby without being prodded and poked by people!!!

• littlewulflittlewulf Posts: 2,061
    I'm a midwife Tuscan Bride, you don't have to have anything you don't want. just politely decline and let nature take it's course xx
  • Hi i had two membrane sweeps. I was overdue, having very strong contractions but was not dialating(sp?)

The first was very painful, very uncomfortable. I burst into tears because i felt so violated.

The second wasn't so bad. The doctor was very nice and explained what she was doing and told me to tell her if she was hurting me.

If you do have to have it done make sure you speak up if it gets too uncomfortable or painful.

Or as sparklebride said just politely decline the procedure.

Cat xxx
  • BRIDE100BRIDE100 Posts: 884
    My sis had two of these. She didn't say they were painful - more uncomfortable and embarrassing as it was with the midwife she had been seeing for months! They didn't work but worth a try I guess.
  • rachaelafryrachaelafry Posts: 4,271
    I had one when my second child was overdue, it was a tad uncomfortable while she did it but quite painful for the rest of the day, like really bad stomach pains, I wouldnt have another and it didnt work either however, my friend had one and she went into labour the same evening.xxx
  • Hi I'm a midwife too and as Sparklebride says it's up to you whether you have it done or not. My only piece of advice would be to say if you're keen to avoid being induced and want to go into labour naturally then it may be worth giving it a go as you've got nothing to lose. They usually are abit uncomfortable but if you end up being induced anyway then you'll be poked and prodded about anyway!

So remember this is completely up to you, but it may help get things going without involving drugs and doctors! In the mean time- hot curries, sex and fresh pineapple!!

Good luck xxx
  • bridiebirdbridiebird Posts: 1,385
    I had three, and although they did not bring on labour per se, they certainly helped.

They can be uncomfortable, but as Burgiegirl says, you will be poked about if you are induced.

In the end I went for a long, brisk walk. This set me off immediately.

Thankfully, as he was a week overdue in the hot summer and was 10lbs!

Any bigger and I would have popped!

Good luck. x
  • We haven't heard anything back from Tuscan Bride- I wonder if this means that things have happened?!!
    Oooo - I hope so. How exciting! x
  • DonzyukDonzyuk Posts: 101
    Hi guys,

Nope still no baby, have had trouble getting on internet. Am now 4 days over due!!! Grrrr H2B seems to think it'll come tonight as its a full moon! never heard that one before!!!! surely it can't be much longer!!!!
    Hi guys,

Nope still no baby, have had trouble getting on internet. Am now 4 days over due!!! Grrrr H2B seems to think it'll come tonight as its a full moon! never heard that one before!!!! surely it can't be much longer!!!!
    Keep us posted Tuscan Bride. If we don't hear from you for a few days we will assume it has happened.

My sis was a week late. She was booked in to be induced a few days later as nothing was happening at but then in the end one night it did just happen. Go and have a curry...!! Good Luck. xxx
  • my sweep unfortunatley didnt work!! neither did labour lol i had problems with cervix not dilating or dropping so sweep was uncomfortable, but like i said i had complications. Everyone is different, remember no two pregnancies are the same - some people find sweeps easy others more difficult!!

kel xx
    Boo hoo, had sweep today, wasn't as bad as thought but.... not started dilating, cervix is still posterior and not started thinning, she couldn't do sweep but managed to poke babys head!. Midwife said exceptions occurre but very unlikely that baby will be here in next 48 hours!!!! so getting a phone call on Wednesday (my birthday) to book me in for induction. I'll keep you all updated!