c section by choice not too posh to push?

oo

[Modified by: Mrs J Jenks on 29 February 2008 19:17:22 ]

[Modified by: Mrs J Jenks on 29 February 2008 19:26:58 ]

• HI

Sure didn't fully explain as I thought it would not be terribly positive reading for other mums to be.

My delightful and much loved nephew had a badly managed natural birth (medical negligence) Bank Holiday short staffed etc and has profound cerebral palsy (CP). My Uncle also suffered from CP. I

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

[Modified by: Mrs J Jenks on February 29, 2008 07:18 PM]
  • saskia87saskia87 Posts: 755
    Could you not give birth at a different hospital if you are worried about a badly managed birth at yours? I'm sure if you explained your fears to a consultant they would probably try to ensure your birth wasn't badly managed rather than offer a c-section. While what happened to your nephew is bad - I don't think it necessarily means it's going to happen to anyone who gives birth naturally. If that were the case then CP would be a common thing with newborns given the reported state of todays antenatal care - but I think it's pretty rare.

I think you are unlikely to get a c-section under those circumstances unless you go private.
  • Having had a c-section I wouldn't want to choose that option again. I had to have it last time due to pre-eclampsia and it isn't just 6 weeks recovery - it can take anything up to a year to physically recover from a c-section but nobody tells you that. I found out about that afterwards when reading through stuff on the ward from other people who had been in my position.
  • bridiebirdbridiebird Posts: 1,385
    Hi,

I have had 2 children naturally, though both pretty traumatic!

My first was nearly 9lbs and I was shattered after labouring all night and having pethidine, so was too tired to push. I was pushing for one hour and then they used a vontouse (standard procedure).

My second was 10lbs and I bled heavily in labour, his head got stuck and he got distressed, with heart rate down to 90bpm, so he was literally pulled from me! (Sorry to be graphic!)

After being through natural labour twice and having difficulties both times I would consider having a C section if I were to have another child.

I can understand your reasonings but why I told you my story is that not every traumatic birth results in the child having a disability.

Good luck with your choice - have you discussed this with your midwife? She may be a little more use and will totally sympathise and understand. x

• i hsve 2 children 1st was an emergency c section, 2nd was going for trial labour but due to problems with scar i ended up having another section. i was awake for both and i would not want another one it is not an easy option it is major surgery which alot of people forget.
  • Wanna-bumpWanna-bump Posts: 1,546
    I've not had children so can't comment fully with a personal view on natural birth versus C-section but as a neonatal nurse and a PhD student I'd say that I'm surprised that having reviewed the scientific evidence you've chose C-section over natural as the section does carry more risks. I'm not flaming you and don't mean to be harsh, I'm just surprised by your conclusion as it would not be my own based on the same scientific literature. As this forum is about sharing opposing views/information I thought you wouldn't mind me giving my own opinion.I'll try to be sensitive but I aplogise if I offend you or touch a nerve in any way!!

Aside from the implcations that abdominal surgery (ie. the C section) has towards maternal recovery and inititaing breast feeding (which all evidence indicates as best for baby), personally, I think that the biggest factor for wanting a natural birth is thoraxic squeeze. This is the natural squueze a baby gets when leaving the birthing canal which starts to clear the lungs of amniotic fluid. Without this natural process newborns can be left with "wet lungs" (respiratory distress syndrome RDS) which can result in breathing difficulty (which carries risks for CP etc). I've seen babies really sick because of this and have heard of people who have had electives and are then left with a lot of guilt if the baby does develop RDS and needs intubation and resuscittaion (which they still could have needed even with a natural birth anyway I must add!). I know that emergency C's are often needed but these babies have often had some natural squueze beforehand. Electives carry the biggest risk for RDS.

I can totally understand where you're coming from with your families situation as it sounds like you've had some awful luck. Personally. I'd advise choosing a midwifery unit based on reports and reviews of the hospitals near you rather than choosing a method of birth as that'll be the best way to try to ensure you get the standard of care and assurance that you need. More often than not, maternity units deliver healthy babies via uncomplicated natural births without any traumas- sadly it's just the bad cases that reach the media though.

Good luck!

[Modified by: Mrs PetiteBride on February 18, 2008 08:39 AM]
  • Ladies thanks for the advice - am guessing I need to get back to the literature and calm down the part of me that says all traumatic births end up with disability. However am sad to say that it was established that the most likely cause of my nephews CP was the birth and the hospital admitted fault. He was in severe distress eventually and heart stopped for a while

Thanks again
  • magsieukmagsieuk Posts: 1,434
    Hi Mrs Jenks, I didnt see your original post as it appears to have been edited out.

I'm a midwife in a maternity unit in greater manchester and I know our consultants here would not entertain someone requesting an elective c.section unless they had a medical reason.

People need to be aware that a c. section is actually major abdominal surgery and carries the same risks as any other form of major surgery, those being haemorrhage, infection, possible need to perform hysterectomy if there are any complications as well as the risks to the baby which I think were adequately covered by someone earlier.

If you have a c.section there is also a risk that should you get pregnant again you could end up with a placenta praevia (meaning the placenta attatches itself to the cervix instead of the uterine wall because of the scar tissue from the previous operation) which could seperate during the pregnany putting your life and that of the baby in danger, it could also put you at risk of uterine rupture should you go into labour.

Of course, in an emergency situation, c.section is the only option for some women, but please ask yourself, would you expect a doctor to perform any other type of major surgery on you if you didnt need it?

I understand you have experience from your family of a poor outcome which you feel could have been caused by the natural delivery, however, these cases are extremely rare and do not just happen during natural childbirth. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that a lot of cases of cerebral palsy are actually caused by something during the pregnany and not necessarily labour.

I'm sorry I didnt see your first post as I would have been interested to read the circumstances surrounding your nephews birth, but please dont let this awful situation ruin your pregnancy, perhaps you could ask your midwife to refer you to a consultant to discuss your fears.
  • _hmmmmmm__hmmmmmm_ Posts: 734
    I just want to say that although there is a family history of difficult births in my family and also a history of Spina Bifida and Gestational Diabetes I've now had two children, both were natural, the second was more difficult than the first, as there was some complications. but as long as everything is in your notes and the staff are all fully aware of them, everthing should be monitored and managed well. Unfortunately you only ever hear the horror stories, no one ever raves on about the good ones. My hospital has one of the highest c-section rates in the country and i was offered one because of a bad back! but i wanted to see if i could do it for myself first as i think i would have been dissapointed if i hadn't at least tried.

My second child, as i mentioned there were complications with his birth, but i wasn't made aware of them at the time, but the cord was wrapped round his neck 3 times when he was born, and it actually burst the blood vessels in his face it was so tight when he was born, but it was a quick labour (established for only 1 hr 20 and only 10 minutes pushing) his heartbeat was obviously dipping. My mum and husband were with me during my labour and mum had clicked what was going on as the midwife stayed with me the whole time and was checking his heartbeat with every contraction - I was too busy to notice at the time as i was begging for an epidural, but apparently it was too late so had to make do with Gas and Air (which i'd managed fine with first time around!) but he was born fine, and he's now a very healthy 15 month old, so complicated births can still work out fine, as long as they are managed well, which obviously my midwife was doing, look into everything, the pros and cons of natural birth and c-sections, you may decide to have a natural birth and end up having a c-section anyway, or vice versa, you may go for an elective and go into labour before the date you're given for the op and give birth in the bathroom, easily, you just don't know how things will work out, but remember each person is different and the statistics for things like Cerebal Palsy are very low these days, i know it's hard but don't let someone elses difficulties overshadow a really magical time for you.

p.s I found having my mum with me invaluable, being someone who very obviously cares for me and wants everything to be ok, and has also been through it herself 4 times, if she thought things were going really wrong she'd have voiced her concerns and demanded i be seen by someone more senior, whereas hubby wouldn't have had a clue! I'm not saying have your mum with you, but maybe having another woman there that you are close to, don't mind having there, has been through it herself, and is likely to voice opinions if concerned maybe of help to you if you do decide to go natural, just to give you some support and knowing that there's someone else there who knows your worries, and can help fight your corner if neccessary.
  • Tracey2386Tracey2386 Posts: 251
    Hi there,

Thought i'd share my experience with you.

I didn't have a C-Section but I had something along those lines.

At my first scan, the found a cyst on my ovary which they monitored and eventually decided to remove... when I was 16 weeks pregnant.

The risks were awful but it had to be done as the risks could have been worse if i'd have chosen not to have the surgery.

I have a C-Section scar and the recovery time was awful, especially still being pregnant, The surgeons and aftercare were amazing not harming my little girl and we all breathed a sigh of relief when we all heard her heart beaing away after the op.

Despite this, I was determined to give birth naturally. Although, when I went in to labour, my baby was face up - which took them 9 flippin' hours to find out (but thats besides the point) once they found this out, they said they were giving me 3 contractions to get her out with a ventouse otherwise they were giving me a section!

I cannot tell you how hard i pushed just to avoid that section and that recovery time and the nights of rolling on my side to get out of bed for the toilet.

The only way i would have a section was if it was really needed. I would advise to do a bit more research, I don't know how I would have coped with the recovery whilst looking after a baby and I really have a lot of respect for women who do go through a section because i imagine the aftermath would be difficult.

Still... all is forgotten once your holding your little bundle of joy! My little girl is my life now and every single thing I went through was worth it!

xx
  • pot_of_goldpot_of_gold Posts: 5,254
    I don't know if this will help in terms of traumatic births but my mum was in labour with me for 3 days, pushing for about 7 I think and eventually passed out and I was pulled out with forceps. In al honestly she should have been given a C section but because it was 20 odd years ago they didn't do them as freely. Upshot of it is - I am fine despite almost dying because basicallly i was right stuck lol - was 10lbs!!

The other side I have seen is my aunt who just couldn't have children naturally and ended up having 3 c-sections, which resulted in such horrendous complications after her 3rd one that she ended up needing a hysterectomy. (I won't scare the crap out of you with the details)

My point is if you have a c-section you really shouldn't have more than two so if you don't need one you are limiting the number of children you can have. Also giving yourself the conundrum of if you fell pregnant a 3rd time by accident what would you do etc. The recovery time is long and my aunt couldn't pick up her child for about 6 weeks.

Hope this helps - at end of day it is your decision but hopefully this post has given you points of view from both sides to help you make an informed decision.

xx
  • EmmA1981ukEmmA1981uk Posts: 1,065
    i had an emergency c-section with my son as he was breech and in difficult position which could have been life threatening to him if i had a natural birth i would definitly say have a natural birth if you can as a few others have said the recovery period is around 6 wks and even after then i was still not properly recovered and 3 and a half years on i have no feeling in parts of my lower stomach so if i could id have def had a natural birth

good luck with your decision xx
  • mrshelen74mrshelen74 Posts: 9,282
    i had to have both my two boys by c-section due to pre-eclampsia in both pregancies, the first was an emergency, and the 2nd i was awake which was amazing as it colud hear him crying as they opened me up. I had no choice but given it would have been a natural birth, but in my case i no option to follow medical opinion
  • deakin2bdeakin2b Posts: 79
    i had an elective c section but i didnt choose to!! an elective c section is one that is planned by the consultants etc as well. i did not want a c section but had no choice, my twins were breech and transverse and the breech one had the cord around his neck. they are both absolutely fine and are now two years old but i suffer physically for this, i have no feeling in parts of my stomach and still have huge gaps in in my stomach muscles, i also now suffer with sciatica as the epidural went wrong. at the time i suffered bad blood loss and was put on a drip for hours i then got an infection which made me very ill, i also didnt get to hold my babies for five hours because i didnt have the strength and was in a lot of pain. to top it all off i get told by people with no idea of a c section that i had it easy!! well how would they feel not to have any choice.i get very upset because i feel that im useless as a mother as i failed at the first hurdle, i couldnt even give birth to them. i know this isnt the case at all but wish it could have been different. i dont want to scre anyone this is just my experience and i would never judge anyone for their decision as i have been told im too posh too push by people who knew nothing about my situation. just remember that it not an easy option and to use all advice you can get before you make a decision. i hope everything goes really well for you.