My wooden name places/favours

I am making these with everyone's names on. Hopefully the guests will like them enough to take them home afterwards...

What do you think? (The full date is on the back but I photoshopped it out)

• Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311

they are fab!! i'd deffo take mine home if i was a guest image well done, I think they're really lovely x

• annacwcannacwc Posts: 803

Thanks! Taking forever to paint so I would be sad if they were all left on the tables! haha. I imagine the men will probably leave them.

• racheltusracheltus Posts: 500

These are beautiful, I would deffo take mine home too image

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

They're fab image

Unfortunately some guests will probably leave them behind but many more will really appreciate them and hang them somewhere in their homes as a memento afterwards, so it's still worth all your hard work!

Can I ask a question?  Did you write your names and wedding date by hand on the back?  What kind of pen did you use?  I have some plain wooden egg cups for my favours; originally I was going to buy individually engraved ones but it was just too costly.  I'd love to personalise them but I'm not sure I'm up to it- might be a bit fiddly too!

JodielouW you are right - some will be left. At least I will know who left them haha. I tried painting the names on the front and it looks rubbish so I used stamps. Our names and wedding date on the back is a stamp. Couldn't face doing that 100 times. I ordered the stamp from a seller on etsy called letter girl. She is fab.  

http://www.etsy.com/listing/73006047/wedding-names-date-red-rubber-stamp

Thanks Anna image

When we first decided to buy personalised, engraved egg cups that's exactly what I said to H2B- if anyone left them behind I was going to shame them by posting them out after the wedding! image

Edited to say I've just had a look and the stamps look perfect- unfortunately I don't think they would work on an egg cup!

Haha. I could attach mine to their christmas presents as gift tags. 

Yeah sorry never thought about them being curved. could stamp with individual letters but would take a long time. If you do use ink to stamp on wood I would recommend Stazon ink. 

Yes, do it!  In fact, that would be quite nice to use them as gift tags for those that 'forget'.

Stamping individual letters would definitely take too much time for someone with so little patience!  Maybe I can delegate that job to my very patient, very crafty Mum..........................image

Thanks v much for the tip about the ink- I am noting that down now just in case! x

Some photos to show how I made them for SP2013.

First I made a template out of card. 

I drew around this using pencil onto the wooden heart so that the left side was scalloped and the right side had the inside line. Then flipped the template and drew the inside part on the left and the outside scallop design on the right. I freehand drew the top of the heart and the point. 

Then I used the stamp from etsy (lettergirl) to stamp the back with our names and wedding date. I used stayzon ink and left it overnight to dry. 

Then I spent HOURS doing 3 coats of paint using hobbycraft's own acrylic paint in 'parchment' colour. 

You can see the pencil lines.

Here are just a few of them....

The next stage is to paint the border. (but I am not doing this until I have got the bridesmaid dresses as I already painted about 10 in my old colour scheme. Want to make sure the colour won't change again before I paint the borders). I used paint from hobbycraft called DecoArt - it's acrylic. Then I painted dots between the scallops. 

I tried painting names using gold paint but even using the smallest paint brush it still looked like I had let my Year 1 class loose on them. H2b suggested I stamped names. 

Finally I used twine to create a hanging loop. I am pretty pleased with the end result. Not looking forward to painting 100 heart borders and staming all the names though...

Oh and top tip - order spares - I messed up about 20 - either by smuding the stamp, using too much ink or painting them with my old colours!!

• SP2013SP2013 Posts: 857

Your an absolute star!!!! Thank you! Hopefully will play with mine tomorrow!

No probs. Hope they turn out lovely however you end up painting them x

• LilygirlLilygirl Posts: 429

Where did you get the hearts from? I'm planning on doing cookies, but these look amazing!

• HannikinsHannikins Posts: 1,046

I love these!

• These are lovely! I would def take one home if I was a guest

Lilygirl - I ordered the shapes from http://www.craftshapes.co.uk/

got the paint from hobbycraft, the stamp for lettergirl on etsy then painted them all myself. 

Hannikins and PinkandPearls thank you for your nice comments. 

I finally attempted mine, a little messy, i need to learn to have a steadier hand! I tried making a template but that turned out worse than freehand, maybe i can draw straighter than I can cut?!? image Have a look at my planning thread to see. Thanks a billion for all the advice! Let me know what you think! (I didn't want to post a pic on here and hi-jack your thread!) x

Just had a look.They look great image I love the navy blue. Your stamps are really nice - where did you get them? If found I had to experiment with paint brushes before i found ones i could paint with. I ended up with a sort of flat rectangle brush instead of a rounded one and I found thicker ones easier to paint with x

Good tip, thanks! I got them for £15 from amazon, it was a good price for all that!

• Your hearts look lovely, I'm thinking of making some similar for my place settings. Can I ask what size your hearts are? Also where did you buy the stamps for guests names?

Thanks, x
    I think the hearts are 7cm and the stamps were from eBay x