Forum home Your DIY ideas

Save the date cards & Invitations

Hi all,

To save costs like most people we want to try and make our own save the date cards and also main invitations. What is the easiest way to do this? I would love to be able to add ribbon or something, but I don't want them to look like a school child has made them!

I'm thinking the easiest way is to make a template on the computer? then just print it onto card?

I've no idea where to even start with the main invitations, luckily I have a lot of time image

• BexgreenBexgreen Posts: 505
    I am going to make my own invites i just went onto youtube and searched for diy wedding invitations. Bride de force on youtube as a really simple but lovely bow invitation - really easy to do.
  • Raych54Raych54 Posts: 879

I used a template I found on wedding chicks, and printed it on to car then mounted it on to a coloured pre cut card from PDA card. I didn't do anything fancy, they looked good and have had a few comments about them. 

• I made ours and used card blanks and did a printed invite to our inside, then added ribbon and embellishments, I would start with looking at what sort you want and then just play about. Good luck and let us know image x

• That's great thank you everyone for all your help!

sounds silly, but what do you think the best thing to stick ribbon etc to the card Is?

xxxx

• I was super nervous about thistoo but ended up shocking myself. I really wanted pocket folds and inserts so i found a site called pda card and craft (thanks to another bride on here). They sell pre made pocket folds really cheap in loads of colours, i then designed an invite on a4 using publisher (i got a free sample from a site and copied it) and then printed them on card, cut them out with a stanley knife and popped the, together with some ribbon. They also do pre cut insert sizes image

I really like something like this image 

• That looks really nice... Try www.pdacardamdcraft.co.uk and see what they have.... They do all different gsm card but be careful as if you are printing from home your printer may have a limit to what thickness it can print on.

I would also have a play on publisher to find similar fonts and see what it looks like,

Good luck x
  • Funky squirrel 14, that's a great help thank you! Do you have any pictures of yours? What did you use to keep the ribbon stuck down? x

• Im on an ipad so cant upload photos image if u pm me your email i can send a few, or i can upload them tomorrow night when i get on the pc x

To keep the ribbon stuck down i used clear oval stickers (hobbycraft) so they could be kept. I then stuck a bow on top of the sticker with double sided tape.

Www.boho-weddings.com is also an amazing site with lots of printable templates x

Looking at that font it looks like a free one you can install onto word/publisher called Parisienne. Here is the link so you can see and download the font http://www.fontspace.com/astigmatic-one-eye-typographic-institute/parisienne

• Double sided tape image

Photos are lovely image

xx

• Thanks for the help Kimberley2002! 

Funkysquirrel14 youve been so much help thank you! 

Xxx

• Has anyone sent save the date invitations out? Is a year before the wedding the norm? 

We have family flying in from overseas.

xxx

I sent my about a year in advance. In relation to pda - ive ordered a sample of all the card. It only costs a pound so thought u might like to know if u didnt already
  • Ditto we went a year in advance too image bexgreen is right the samples are good as no minimum order... I received the ones for our orders of service today! image
    Its due to advice on this very thread that made me go to that website. Cant wait to get started on my invites.
  • DanglishDanglish Posts: 196

Mini Glue dots are also great for sticking ribbon and bows down.

• DanglishDanglish Posts: 196

I made all my own wedding stationary.

A friend introduced me to rubber stamping and I am completely hooked!

Here is my invitation: http://craftycarolinecreates.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/wedding-invites.html

and my matching order of service http://craftycarolinecreates.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/orders-of-service.html

• Wow danglish you are very talented! 

We are going with 5.5cm card invitation and inserts, I'd like a black envelope for them, where would be the best place to buy these from? 

I never thought how stressful thinking of the right wording would be !! 

Xx

• Hmmm, I can't seem to find the right size! I'm sure there's lots of websites that do envelopes though image thanks! X

• Hi, 

I am selling some stamps, ribbon and stick on embellishments, email me if you would like me to send you some pictures. 

[email protected]

Becs x