Invitations... Where to start

Hello ladies,

After being truly shocked by the cost of getting invitations printed professional I am really looking for some advice on how to do it on the cheap. I've found a couple of style that I like on vista print but they don't offer an option to add a additional card with more information. I wanted to  be able to bundle the differeny past of the invitation together with some pretty lace but Id just love some advice fr anyone who's done it themselves. 

Thank you in advance!!!! 

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

Vistaprint is actually a great affordable option. A LOT of brides on here have used them. You could always order the invites and do the info card yourself. You can get cheap card in a lovely coordinating/ contrasting pattern or colour from craft shoppes or online (even on eBay).

My sister used Minted. They were also very, very affordable and customisable. I wasn't overall impressed with the colour saturation with the finished product, but she was pleased and that's all the matters 

• Hi kitten, thanks for your reply. 

Minted?! Oh I've not heard of them... I'll have a look. 

would you suggesting writing out the additional info cards? As I'm unsure how you go about printing on card. 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I made my own using Microsoft Publisher - I downloaded a font I liked from www.dafont.com so that it looked different from your 'average' font. Then I printed them onto some nice paper that I bought from a craft shop. I bought some 'butterfly' envelopes to put them into from a site called Imagine DIY, and secured them with ribbon, and a sticker we bought from Vistaprint. I did 80 invitations, with a day invitation, night invitation, RSVP, info sheet and menu, for around £100. 

• I used Minted for my save-the-dates. They're great. Need to watch out for customs though and add that into your budget because they're in America. I haven't looked there for invites but I've been told they're actually really expensive. I know some people who spent £1000+ on their invites from Minted.

• VicN wrote (see post):

I made my own using Microsoft Publisher - I downloaded a font I liked from www.dafont.com so that it looked different from your 'average' font. Then I printed them onto some nice paper that I bought from a craft shop. I bought some 'butterfly' envelopes to put them into from a site called Imagine DIY, and secured them with ribbon, and a sticker we bought from Vistaprint. I did 80 invitations, with a day invitation, night invitation, RSVP, info sheet and menu, for around £100. 

Hi vic, did you just print them on your home computer? I'm worried a thicker paper would print well enough on a bog standard computer. 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I may have sneakily used the printer at work 😂 if you have a laser printer (or could get hold of one) I'm sure it will print fine. If not though, I just used 120gsm paper - why not try buying some and seeing what it looks like going through your printer? x

These were mine. Forgot to say, to tie them into my colour scheme I stuck some striped sage card into the back of the envelope too :-)

• I am using PDA Card and Craft. I'm buying pocketfolds from them and getting them to print the inserts. Then I'm assembling them and decorating then myself - working out at around £1 an invitation for me!

• missmarvelmissmarvel Posts: 219

I'm making my own through publisher and I have used my home printer to print onto thicker paper and even card without any issues. 

I bought some pearlised paper from eBay, and pocketfolds from cards and crafts an American website. Some backing paper just from hobby craft and I'll put them together myself. I don't have a picture yet as Ive only made a sample one which now looks a bit shabby from all the tweaking I have done until inwas happy. Publisher was easy to use, dafont.com to find fonts I liked, and Google search for free to use images  add onto it and I'm happy with them. 

• Emma325Emma325 Posts: 95

I'm at the same stage and trying to work out what i want to do with invites.

I recently did a mock up on vistaprint and had their minimum order delivered. Cost about £20 for 10 invites, rsvp's and envelopes.

The quality is fine and the linen paper is good. Quite thin though. Also i didn't choose to upgrade my envelopes which i wish i did because the standard ones are a bit crap. 

One thing that was a bit silly of me was not looking at the sizes of the invites. The ones i ordered iare are quite big. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Im making my own, just a single card. At first I was going to have seperate rsvp and additional info cards but then I couldnt think what additional information I had, there isnt anything that wont go nicely on the main card!

You can get things printed at a local print shop rather than doing it yourself if you havent got a great printer or not sure how to deal with cards etc.

I googled different ways to word it because neiter of us wanted anything formal with full names or 'the honour of your presence' 'together with their families' etc. 

Got all the stuff for £50 now just need to actually do it!

• AM2BAM2B Posts: 20

How about using a save the date or rsvp on vista print as an additional information card as you can change all the information on there?

I too have been quite shocked at the cost of invites and have ended up spending a fortune trying to make something that looks good myself! 😟

Have a look on eBay too as there is a lot of different styles on there.

• Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions ladies!  

Vic, yours look great. That just the kind of thing i had in mind. Especially like the ribb to tie your colours back in👍🏻

i think I will give vistaprint a go and just see.  Didn't realise the Save the dates and rsvp we're fully variable! That's great! Thanks for the info AM2B. 

xx 

• HOB2BHOB2B Posts: 12

I'm getting mine from zazzle! So affordable!

• hautocrafthautocraft Posts: 263 New bride

If anyone is making their own invitations and need to buy craft tape or ribbon, as a cardmaker I have plenty of both in stock for sale :)

babybluegirl

9:53am

• shangshang Posts: 21

You can relax yourself by ordering at happyinvitation.com, at price $1 you will get one invitations, one matched response card and envelopes, what you need to do is just place order and tell them your wedding details, then you can wait at home to surprise yourself.

Wedding invitations collection for you to choose: http://www.happyinvitation.com/wedding-invitations-c-1.html