Forum home Your DIY ideas

Making own centre pieces.

Hey! 

im hoping to make all my own centre pieces. We have 10 tables in total but we aren't doing a seating plan as such, but one table will be for me hubby and the children, so will slightly do that table different so they know it's 'our' table as such. As for the other tables I'm stuck on ideas for centre pieces and layouts. All Pinterest and google are flowers flowers flowers 🙈 I don't really want too many flowers as I'm not a floral person as such.

any ideas? X

• Search for floating candle centrepiece, I think I'm going to go down that road as I'm also not a flowery person. Candleabras can also be done nice (if theyre not done over the top)

• Nov4VLNov4VL Posts: 27
    ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

Search for floating candle centrepiece, I think I'm going to go down that road as I'm also not a flowery person. Candleabras can also be done nice (if theyre not done over the top)

Thanks hun I had seen the floating candles it looks lovely. I'm just wondering if all venues accept them. Maybe I will have to email the venue. Havent looked at candlebras so thats another one on tonights list x

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

What about fairy lights in kilner jars? 

• Nov4VL wrote (see post):
    ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

Search for floating candle centrepiece, I think I'm going to go down that road as I'm also not a flowery person. Candleabras can also be done nice (if theyre not done over the top)

Thanks hun I had seen the floating candles it looks lovely. I'm just wondering if all venues accept them. Maybe I will have to email the venue. Havent looked at candlebras so thats another one on tonights list x

Led candles are always an option. If you get semi-opaque vases/holders you can't even tell the difference 

• Not hijacking the post but have you seen any reasonable, realistic LEDs anywhere? Any ones I've found that look any good are around £20 a candle which is ridiculous.

I'm not allowed real candles at my venue unless they're enclosed in a lantern but I've already bought fishbowls (I can resell them if need be but I like the idea of them!)

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I have fairy light jars- which is led lights on wires in mason jars. These aren't the best piccies, but they look like this:

I'm having them on mirror plates with smaller glittered jam jars with candles in

Sammykate wrote (see post):

I have fairy light jars- which is led lights on wires in mason jars. These aren't the best piccies, but they look like this:

I'm having them on mirror plates with smaller glittered jam jars with candles in

awww they look fab 😍😍😍😍

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Another lady on here has bought lanterns and putting a candle inside

The candle idea is a winner so far, my hubby to be was like have what you want so he doesn't help at all 😂 I've seen the mirror plates and wooden log cuts on eBay so could fix everything down with those 😍

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556 New bride

I'm doing lanterns and candlesticks with fake ivy round them and a bottle of whisky to tie in with our table names theme. I've also just ordered some paper roses to go in the top of the whisky bottles just for a wee something extra! We've got 9 tables plus the top table and it's saved us a lot of money by not going for floral centrepieces. Winner 

We don't know yet if we're allowed real candles either, but I'm sure it'll still look fine with fake ones (fingers crossed anyway!). 

Here's a pic of mines:

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I have candlelabra with bunting draped around the arms. I bought the candlelabras from Home Bargains at £7.99 each and the material for the bunting cost me £16. 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

I have candlelabra with bunting draped around the arms. I bought the candlelabras from Home Bargains at £7.99 each and the material for the bunting cost me £16. 

Thats a fab idea!!!! 😍😍🙌🏼

Moggle wrote (see post):

I'm doing lanterns and candlesticks with fake ivy round them and a bottle of whisky to tie in with our table names theme. I've also just ordered some paper roses to go in the top of the whisky bottles just for a wee something extra! We've got 9 tables plus the top table and it's saved us a lot of money by not going for floral centrepieces. Winner 

We don't know yet if we're allowed real candles either, but I'm sure it'll still look fine with fake ones (fingers crossed anyway!). 

Here's a pic of mines:

Aww now that looks beautiful!!!!!! My theme Is navy silver white and grey 🙈 I need to think of things that go with those colours don't I x

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

I got hold of large pickle jars for free , glittered the lids then glued battery packs for micro lights to the lid , I also frosted the outsides with a spray , they looked great and cheap too x

Mimi8 wrote (see post):

I got hold of large pickle jars for free , glittered the lids then glued battery packs for micro lights to the lid , I also frosted the outsides with a spray , they looked great and cheap too x

I've seen so many ideas with upcycled jars! I love the idea of old whiskey bottles or fancy bottles with dates and stuff on 😍

I love those MrsThomas!

I originally wanted flowers but the cost was sky high and I really didn't like artificial flowers when I tried it. 

I also have a collection of jam jars which I am going to decorate with lace and use as vases. 

Thanks Sammykate. I have nearly finished the bunting, I have two bunting wreaths to make. 

Then I need to start on the jars. I have to tackle removing the labels. 

Thanks Sammykate. I have nearly finished the bunting, I have two bunting wreaths to make. 

Stick em through the dishwasher, that sometimes gets rid of the labels! If not nail polish remover will take care of them. I feel your pain as I'm using jam jars too!

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

I'm doing lanterns, I bought them from Dunelm and I can dig out the supplier of my candles too! I don't have the pic but it's in my planning thread which I've only just started, so won't be too long! X

Sammykate wrote (see post):

Stick em through the dishwasher, that sometimes gets rid of the labels! If not nail polish remover will take care of them. I feel your pain as I'm using jam jars too!

Thanks for the advice! Will give the dishwasher a whirl.