Forum home Your DIY ideas

Basic DIY questions

In an effort to scrimp the pennies, many of us brides turn to DIY to realise our pinterest dreams! However, whilst there are lots of craft savvy brides on here, many of us (like me) literally have no idea. So I thought I'd start a thread for us to come on and be able to ask our dumb DIY questions that are common knowledge to the DIY whiz kids out there!

I'll start:

If I use iron-on paper to make my own bridal party t-shirts etc. then does it have to be printed as a mirror flipped image in order to read right when ironed on? I'm fed up on contemplating spending £10 each on personalised bridesmaid tops for the wedding morning which aren't even that nice and wont get worn again. Especially when I can spend £5 on some transfers and £2 each on some tank tops, then they can be exactly as I wish them to be.

• MrsMannMrsMann Posts: 757 New bride

Hi Jenni, yes you need to mirror it, for my cricut machine which cuts the design out of you when you go to print it has an option you tick which says mirror image for iron-on. Also if you google printing iron on transfers there are videos and blogs telling you how to do this if you are using MS Word etc 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Hey I did this onto canvas bags and sailor hats for my friends hen. Yes, you need to mirror the image, I think I used publisher to make mine. It's fairly easy to do but just have a spare t-shirt (or give yourself time to go buy another) as it's also fairly easy to screw up. There's also a fine line between 'not hot enough so not transfered properly' and 'burnt'. You'll get the hang after a couple though! Trim the picture/logo down as much as possible so there isn't a load of clear transfer ironed onto the shirt (if that makes sense) as that doesn't look as good.