My little backdrop wedding hack!

So, having been quoted £250 to hire the venue's (if you don't use it it will be in a cupboard somewhere) very tacky top table backdrop, when I picked myself up off the floor following the laughing fit that ensued, I set about a diy back drop. 

I'd looked at ribbon back drops online and there were none that matched my colour scheme and they were £60 a metre, eBay 25 metre satin ribbon rolls came to the rescue. 

About 4 metres width and 3 metres drop, I think it ended up costing me about £40/50. A snip considering the cost to hire. Anyway, I thought I'd share with you all the finished product (I'm quite proud, you see 😜)

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Brilliant money saving diy hack and looks lovely too.

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

Love a bit of money saving ,well done x

• This website hates uploading photos from my phone but I'm really quite impressed with it. I'd say it took me about 3 hours to make, too. (And looks a lot better in real life). I was worrying about it looking a bit tacky but I definitely recommend. 

I'm pretty sure wedding suppliers pull prices out of their backsides and times it by 10, so I was all for sharing this 😊

• Looks lovely - well done. And hopefully you'll be able to sell it on afterwards. Why to venues charge for stuff they already have, really annoys me.

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

Hi, this is fab. All of my ribbons arrived today but dug this post out to ask how did you attach your ribbons, I am torn between looping through and doing double width or glue gun. I want to be able to move the ribbon back and forth along the cord. 

• Hi Victoria, how exciting!

Ive just tied them at the top. I was the same as you and wondered about gluing or doubling up but I thought doubling it over might be a waste if both sides sit flush. So a simple knit at the top, they scoot about and it leaves you a lot more ribbon to fill out the gaps 😁

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

Thanks Claire, I will give it a go at the weekend. Its the only bit of DIY that I am doing and its to cover two ugly doors. I cant believe how much it has saved me as well (except the time taken searching for the right colour ribbons and lace) all in £60 and will be about 8ft x 6ft

• Awh, you're welcome 😁 Hope it goes ok. I quite enjoyed making mine, it's quite therapeutic haha. You'll have to post a picture once you're done!