Has anyone here made their own wedding rings?

I'm looking for a little bit of advice about making my wedding rings. I love the idea, but I;m scared they'll turn out really naff and I'll be stuck with them! 

If anyone could recommend a company that they've used that would be really helpful! I've googled it and there are so many options. I know a girl from work who attended a 'workshop' and made hers, but if I'm honest it's way too 'shabby' looking for me! A lot of people have suggested sites like diamonds of choice, because they let you design it online, but I want it to be more personal than this! 

I basically don't want to risk going to a venue that let's you make your own rings to be totally disappointed when my welding skills and those of my significant other are not up to scratch. 

Any help really appreciated ladies! 

• A lady on here called Sammykate did and they looked amazing and really professional. You can find the details on her thread. Search Summer in the Cotswolds. 

• Ah lovely I'll check it out now! Thank you xxx

• Me and hubby did, and it was brilliant. We were really happy with the rings and it was more cost effective as well as a great memory. One thing I will say is that our wedding rings are very simple bands. We had all the support and guidance we needed to make these and they look very professional. However, if you want something more intricate, or with diamonds etc. then I personally would leave it to the professionals. 

I don't know where you are in the country, we travelled quite far for ours after a lot of research into cost and quality etc. but we made a weekend of it which was nice. We went to Natalie Jane Harris in Worksop and I can't recommend her highly enough xx

http://www.nataliejaneharris.com/make-your-own-wedding-rings.php

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Yeah Sammy did and I looked into it after she did it and for obvious reasons, you can only make them plain and it takes a lot more skill and probably machines to do diamond set rings. But other then being plain, they look perfect and not shabby at all in my opinion. I love the idea as it is so personal but you need to want a plain ring.

• We're actually going to make ours this weekend! Got the idea from Sammykate's thread, and we decided to make a weekend of it in Edinburgh. 

Turns out there are loads of places out there! I chose this one because we like the city, but also because I liked the designs I saw on the jewellers Facebook page. She takes photos of the whole process, and gives you them on a disc so you can include them in your wedding album (which I also love!). 

We are going to this lovely lady: http://www.makeweddingrings.co.uk/home-page

Sammykate went to a place in St Austell, Cornwall, but I also found them in Manchester, Birmingham, Hertfordshire and London. Probably more but I stopped looking once I found the one we picked. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Hey Bethany, the company I used in Cornwall is called Create a Wedding Ring at The Strand. I say company, its a husband and wife in a tiny jewellery shop in a cornish village! The package included the workshop day, lunch, a CD of pictures and a night in an amazing spa hotel. Then you pay for the metal depending on what you want.

Like has been said above you can only make plain rings, certainly at the one I went to but I suspect at all of these type of places its the same. But the finish was lovely, they look nicer than shop bought rings I think! There was a heck of a lot of hand holding, they don't just give you bits of metal and let you at it.

MichBee I didn't know you were doing that! You'll have to post pictures. Edinburgh is my fave city in the world!

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

Hey Bethany, the company I used in Cornwall is called Create a Wedding Ring at The Strand. I say company, its a husband and wife in a tiny jewellery shop in a cornish village! The package included the workshop day, lunch, a CD of pictures and a night in an amazing spa hotel. Then you pay for the metal depending on what you want.

Like has been said above you can only make plain rings, certainly at the one I went to but I suspect at all of these type of places its the same. But the finish was lovely, they look nicer than shop bought rings I think! There was a heck of a lot of hand holding, they don't just give you bits of metal and let you at it.

MichBee I didn't know you were doing that! You'll have to post pictures. Edinburgh is my fave city in the world!

I absolutely will! When I saw your post I thought it was a fabulous idea but figured my OH wouldn't be up for it. Then a couple of weeks later he asked if I knew about workshops! Couldn't believe it. And it's ideal for us as we both wanted very plain simple rings. Would totally have gone back to St Austell if it weren't such a bloomin long journey so Edinburgh it is! 

This post got me thinking back to a year ago (thanks Bethany!) when I was considering doing this and I got all the details from you Sammykate... However, I ruled it out as I wanted diamond set. Now, as you may have read in my recent posts, I am 99% sure that I want a plain band so I am now back to considering doing this again #completeuturn!

So I know that we now don't have time to go somewhere far away, and have found a workshop close by to us that does it for about the same amount that we would pay for high street rings - GREAT! However, the workshop has 4 couples in with 2 tutors. So a ratio 4:1.... they said that they talk it through with everyone first, then observe everyone doing it individually to make sure that we are fully supervised the whole time. She gave me loads of reassurance that we wouldn't just be left to it, and even said that 1 "couple" enrolled on the date we would do are actually friends that have done it before so wont need as much attention.

My question is - do you think this will be OK? It is the only place I have found which isn't more then 3 hours away and doesn't cost way over what we would pay in the shops (I know money isn't important but I need to sell it to H2B haha).

Jenni8 wrote (see post):

This post got me thinking back to a year ago (thanks Bethany!) when I was considering doing this and I got all the details from you Sammykate... However, I ruled it out as I wanted diamond set. Now, as you may have read in my recent posts, I am 99% sure that I want a plain band so I am now back to considering doing this again #completeuturn!

So I know that we now don't have time to go somewhere far away, and have found a workshop close by to us that does it for about the same amount that we would pay for high street rings - GREAT! However, the workshop has 4 couples in with 2 tutors. So a ratio 4:1.... they said that they talk it through with everyone first, then observe everyone doing it individually to make sure that we are fully supervised the whole time. She gave me loads of reassurance that we wouldn't just be left to it, and even said that 1 "couple" enrolled on the date we would do are actually friends that have done it before so wont need as much attention.

My question is - do you think this will be OK? It is the only place I have found which isn't more then 3 hours away and doesn't cost way over what we would pay in the shops (I know money isn't important but I need to sell it to H2B haha).

Hmm I'm in two minds about that... on the one hand I'm sure it would be ok, on the other hand it was lovely having our private session. I don't think you could actually mess up making the rings themselves, just wether you think it would bother you sharing with other couples! To be honest I don't think I would mind too much and it would still be special so I'd probably be happy to do it.

Can they do shaped rings though for yours? I don't think mine did shaped rings.

Yeah they can! And I messaged yours and they said they could do it too. I guess as it isn't acutally that shaped... On the pics I have posted I would say that it looks a lot more shaped then it is as it is so zoomed in haha but I could wear it alone and you wouldn't notice it wasn't straight unless you looked at it, iykwim?

Oh that's okay then! Maybe it's just like the really shaped ones like wishbone or swirly ones they can't do. Sounds exciting then, you will have to see if you can persuade H2B!

• We had a great time making our rings on Saturday. My ring is very narrow and made in white gold. I chose not to have mine plated but could have done if I'd wanted it to match my engagement ring. My OH is having his cast in palladium which will be a similar colour. The one below which I made is silver. He chose a brushed finish while mine is highly polished and shiny. We could also have had a hammered finish if we'd liked. It was just a very lovely day and we are super happy with the rings.

• We have decided to make our own, we are going to go to the Edinburgh Studio :) I can't wait, its one of the things h2b is really interested in doing