Forum home Your DIY ideas

Honest thoughts - doing your own cake

Hi all, looking for some opinions and hopefully a consensus on whether this is a DIY step too far.

I want a semi-naked cake of some description and i'm just not sure i want to spend say £300 on cake! Especially when so many people say it gets left! I am a keen baker and feel i could do it as there's not much decoration and its not about perfection as its meant to look a little rustic. 

Has anyone made one before? how in advance can this be done? Can i do it all the day before and then just get someone to set it up on the morning of?

We do have tables and chairs to set up, decorations to do etc but we could do this 2 days before the wedding and have an army of helpers so i don't think it will take too long.

Honest thoughts please on if you've done it how it went? are you planning on doing it? 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

If you can bake and make it taste good then possibly.

but as its naked itll dry out apparently so I wouldnt want to make it too early. I suppose it depends on whether you think youll have time in the couple of days before?

is there any family or friends who will be able to help ir even take over the cake if you end up not having much time?

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

How quickly it will dry out is my main concern i think. The wedding is over a weekend so guests will be arriving any time from 3pm the day before the wedding. I therefore want to have the cake baked well before this time to give room for error etc. I know you can store the cake air tight and that will be fine for that time but its when to do the icing, i can do the icing in  the evening as we will have everything else done by 3 pm (will have a full kitchen as we are staying in cottages) but can i then store this until the morning and then hand it over to someone to display? If i would need to do the icing in the morning i think its a no go as i wouldnt want the extra pressure or for a delay with that to mean i'm rushing. I assume its when its out on display that it will dry out quickly? There will be others around to help if i do have a panic or a disaster

• August18August18 Posts: 247

i am considering this also! 

the icing will be fine the night before i have don this a few times now. in fact ive made one 2 days before. 

you could always make a mini version and test it out! 

xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

My mum did the cupcakes for my sister's wedding cake. She actually made them in batches, iced and then froze them. Then we took them frozen to the venue where we were staying the night before, and decorated them that evening once they defrosted.

I don't know if this is possible for a naked cake? To be honest it's the only way I'd want to do it- no way would I want to be baking a cake a couple of days before the wedding! My mum freezes cakes all the time and they always taste good to me but I don't know what your feelings on that would be.

I think the back up of people who could help are essential if you plan this. You might run out of time or just be way too stressed! But if you have someone who could finish it for you then that could work.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

You can make the sponge cakes upto a month in advance, wrap them in baking paper then cling film and freeze them. If you are going for a semi naked cake I would think that you could assemble this all the evening before and do the crumb coat icing (if that's what you mean by semi naked) then I'd once again carefully wrap up. The tricky part will come to decorating it with flowers fruit etc this really needs doing only a couple of hours before guests arrive. So if you are busy getting ready you won't get a chance. My suggestion would be to enlist the help of a friend to do the final flourish for you.

im making my own wedding cake but not having a naked cake, with the help of my friend we will bake it 2 evenings before then assemble and ice in the morning the day before the wedding and then my friend will be in charge of putting it in place on the day of the wedding. in fact today I've been making sugar paste sweetpeas all day As these can be put in an airtight container and will keep for years but I only need to keep them until August! 

it is doable you just need to plan plan plan! Good luck

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

My mum made my sisters wedding cake. She made it early and froze it. Final decorating done the day before. I really can't remember what kind of cake it was though as I don't eat cake. But it was much easier than doing it all the day before. 

She also made 3 wedding cakes for a friend and did the same with them. 

Thanks all I had also considered freezing the cake and will do a few smaller practices before hand :) I think if I can do it the evening before and then hand it to my friend to finish off then it's doable!

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Be really really sure you want to! My best friend did hers last year and spent a fortune on equipment (which in fairness she doesn't seem to mind as she says she will use it again) but must have spent every weekend for about six weeks leading up to the wedding testing bits and bobs and got really stressed. Admittedly it wasn't naked (the cake!!!) but I'm sure they come with different challenges. We even spent two hours the morning of her wedding putting it all together.  It looked stunning when it was done but boy was it hard work!! I also turned into chief bridesmaidzilla when the venue decided they were going to move it. Luckily about seven of us managed to move it and then told her it had moved. I'm not sure I'd be alive now if something had broke! 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Im doing biscuits for favours and my keylime pies but the whole cake even if i could would be far too stressful for me.

hope all goes well

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Be really really sure you want to! My best friend did hers last year and spent a fortune on equipment (which in fairness she doesn't seem to mind as she says she will use it again) but must have spent every weekend for about six weeks leading up to the wedding testing bits and bobs and got really stressed. Admittedly it wasn't naked (the cake!!!) but I'm sure they come with different challenges. We even spent two hours the morning of her wedding putting it all together.  It looked stunning when it was done but boy was it hard work!! I also turned into chief bridesmaidzilla when the venue decided they were going to move it. Luckily about seven of us managed to move it and then told her it had moved. I'm not sure I'd be alive now if something had broke! 

Wow that cake is magnificent !!! Mine will definitely not compare to that! :)

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

In all honesty I couldn't handle the stress of making my own cake!

• 290417290417 Posts: 13

My bridesmaid made her own cake for her wedding last year - she's a professional baker so had all the stuff & knew what she was doing - over the 2 days before the wedding and she was very stressed! She had a lot of decorating to do at the venue as well and we were still there finishing off at 9pm the night before the wedding. The cake takes so much time to make / cool / decorate / transport, and that's in addition to anything else you have to do plus nails/hair etc you might be wanting to fit in during the days before also.

If you have lots of helpers then it is perhaps doable but you'll need to be very organised! Have you looked at M&S?

• I'm a baker myself and I'm finding it hard to part with my money to let someone do something I can do myself. I've got all the equipment and now I'm highly considering to do it myself, I only want a simple design and I know I can bake and freeze the cake in advance which I've done before then decorate it the night before. However, my hubby to be and Mum have banned me and want me to get someone else to do it as its unheard of a bride making her own wedding cake, I'm so stuck myself but i'd say to you. If you can do it, DO IT! It is very doable and better than shop bought supermarket cake especially as youre doing a semi naked cake, easy peasy. all the best xx

• RJM19RJM19 Posts: 21

Do you guys ice it then freeze it, or freeze it then ice it? 

I actually think it's a worthwhile thing to do if you have the time/ equipment! I'm more encouraged to do it now that I know they can be frozen - i'd not thought of that before!