Hobbycraft Fillable Letters

HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I'm not really very crafty and haven't done anything in the way of DIY for the wedding yet. I do really like the fillable letters on Hobbycraft, but I don't know what I could fill them with? All I've seen are multicoloured pom poms but this does not fit our theme (pastel blue, white, blush)

Help!

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 314

imageimage

Hi if you put some dry floral foam in them so that it is level with top you can fill them with foam roses or other silk flowers , the foam flowers come in lots of colours so you can mix them to match your theme. If you are happy for them to be laid flat I also saw someone who put brightly wrapped sweets in them . hope it goes om

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 994 New bride

I was thinking of drilling holes into them (they're wooden aren't they?) and threading lights through them and seeing what that would look like! :)

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 314

Not sure , think they might be plastic but you can drill them too 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Theyre paper mache i think, or cardboard. Ive been keeping an eye on them but can never get all the letters.

ive seen pom poms or flowera but im sure theres other ways to fill them.

• Sweets? Glitter? Flowers? Lights? 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,651 New bride

We had foam roses, which come in lots of different colours from Hobbycraft. Ours looked like this...

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Yours look beautiful Nikki

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

They look gorgeous Nicki

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

wheres everyone planning on putting them? Im thinking by the card box maybe?

Yeh I think they would be nice there too Mrs J. Maybe I'm being really dense but would anyone mind linking to the foam/flowers I could fill it with?

• http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/white-wired-rose-heads-20-pack/574442-1005

I think its these here that are the best fit x

• Sara107Sara107 Posts: 85

Hi

i did mine yesterday. I had a set of LOVE letters.  I only have a piccy of the O but you can get the general idea. image

Sorry meant to say I didnt use the small foam roses from Hobbycraft as they are quite small and i would have needed loads. I still used foam roses but got them from Country Baskets. 

Sara could you explain what you used to insert the roses into? foam?

i just inserted them straight into the letter. I had planned to hot glue them in but as i went for a bigger rose i was able to pack them really tight so they held in place. So no need for glue. Also as I used bigger roses they stood proud of the letter giving it some volume and not leaving it flat. 

These are the flowers I used if that helpshttps://www.countrybaskets.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=10371037001731

Sara yours look lovely. I wanted something like that but was too impatient and wanted to buy everything in one go whilst I was at Hobbycraft one day. 

I used these flowers - http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/white-wired-rose-heads-20-pack/574442-1005?awc=5411_1495520769_89032d102af62f030a36e3863bde9545&utm_source=78888&utm_medium=Affiliate+Window&utm_campaign=Affiliate+Window 

I stuck them down with superglue. They're still stuck now too. I had to hold them down for a few seconds to make sure they stayed in place but once you fill the letters and cram the flowers in, they're fine. 

Thanks I think I'll give it a go!

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 720

I love these!

Roughly how many flowers did you use, I love this idea and was thinking about doing it for our cake table and need to ensure that I order enough if I am going to do it.

Just had a look on Etsy - people are charging a fortune for these!

Lol...I have made just a few things for our wedding, (ribbon backdrop, name cards, signs in picture frames) certainly not DIY on a grand scale but the ones I have done similar are 5, 6 times as much to buy than what I paid for the raw materials and even factoring the cost of my time its still a huge saving.

Looking at the ones on line..I figure I need between 30 and 40 flowers per letter...this could cost me between £62 and £75...maybe it is cheaper to buy them ready done

Victoria197 wrote (see post):

Looking at the ones on line..I figure I need between 30 and 40 flowers per letter...this could cost me between £62 and £75...maybe it is cheaper to buy them ready done

Really? Oh no! 

• imageI love mine, filled them with silk flowers from amazon. Going to do LOVE letters to match 

Victoria 30 per letter seems excessive? The photo above doesn't have that many per letter...

Laurajane, thats an idea to use large silk flowers rather than the smaller foam ones, may be a tad cheaper...I sound like a real skin flint now, but as we are so close its a nice to not a must have and I don't want to spend a small fortune. 

Hails look what you have started!...I am a woman obsessed...just keep telling myself nice to not must have, nice to not must have!

Lol I know I keep seeing ideas and thinking oh it's not that expensive - then when you look at your spreadsheet and see it all together....*gulp* but I think at least with the letters you can put them on display in your home after, unlike other things.

I used around 60 roses each per letter and around 50 for the &. You get 20 roses per packet so it's not that expensive if you use the smaller flowers. I'd like to say we've displayed our letters since the wedding but they're still in a box in the garage...

NikkiM wrote (see post):

I used around 60 roses each per letter and around 50 for the &. You get 20 roses per packet so it's not that expensive if you use the smaller flowers. I'd like to say we've displayed our letters since the wedding but they're still in a box in the garage...

Nikki yours are far too beautiful to be festering in the garage!

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride

I love this thread. I have bought our initials and the & sign. Had an idea of putting sweets in them on the dessert table but now you've all made me go mad for this idea. I like the idea of having it where our post box/present area is. I need to go to two more craft places so will have a look - wedding is 15 months away though so don't want to do it too soon.

Have you tried to tie it in with your wedding flowers at all? I think I am likely having roses anyway so probably easy to match