Forum home Your DIY ideas

Centre Pieces

Hi everyone! 

I'm getting married on bonfire night 2018 and was wondering what I could have for centre pieces (i'm going to make them myself) 

Our colour scheme is orange, red, white and gold (glitter) 

I've looked on Pinterest and can't find anything I like the look of! 

Has anyone got any ideas? 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

What about mason jars or lanterns filled with gold fairy lights?

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride
    Hails wrote (see post):

That's a really good idea :) It's just finding those jars or lanterns in bulk that won't cost the earth! (unless I eat A LOT of jam and save the jars! haha) 

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

If you start saving them now and rope in a few family / friends youd be surprised by how many jars you can collect, and you can have different sizes etc. I think a candle / light would look lovely and add a warm feel. Have you thought about mini pumpkins / pine cones instead of flowers?

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I've been asking everyone to save glass jars, it's surprising how many I've collected! I'm at 47 jars which have been decorated and I have about another 15 in the cupboard to clean and decorate. But don't underestimate how long it takes it collect, clean and decorate the jars. I asked people to keep jars last summer ready for my March 2018 wedding.  

wed172B wrote (see post):

If you start saving them now and rope in a few family / friends youd be surprised by how many jars you can collect, and you can have different sizes etc. I think a candle / light would look lovely and add a warm feel. Have you thought about mini pumpkins / pine cones instead of flowers?

I've got a few pinecones from a walk I went on with my parents and son - we took their dogs for a walk and came across LOADS of pinecones, they collected some for their wood burner!

So I could ask them to collect some more for me on another walk. not sure where i'd get mini pumpkins from though

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Youd probably have to wait till October to see the mini pumpkins I'd imagine and I've no idea on cost. I do like the idea of pinecones , leaves etc very autumnal there's some lovely thing on Pinterest using twigs bark all sorts and with a bit of forward planning a lot of stuff can be free or very cheap ;)

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I've done mason jars filled with fairy lights and it was easy and fairly cheap! I was fussy and wanted genuine large ball mason jars which I bought from Lakeland but you could use kilner or just generic jars to save money. I then bought mini led wire lights that take a cell battery so you can glue the battery to the underside of the lid, and covered the lid in gold glitter.

I'll probably sell them after the wedding in a few weeks if you're interested!

Just did an image search for you:

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

I found a jar i really liked which is a yoghurt pot made by little farm. I popped them an email and asked if there was any way they could send me used ones to use for my centrepieces. They were super kind and saved up around a hundred for me, they arrived yesterday and all it cost me was the price of a courier to collect. 

So it may be worth emailing companies with jars you like the look of, it might pay off! Also, worth emailing hotels and places like that to get their used jars x

Sammykate wrote (see post):

I've done mason jars filled with fairy lights and it was easy and fairly cheap! I was fussy and wanted genuine large ball mason jars which I bought from Lakeland but you could use kilner or just generic jars to save money. I then bought mini led wire lights that take a cell battery so you can glue the battery to the underside of the lid, and covered the lid in gold glitter.

That idea sounds brilliant! How much would you want to be selling them for Sammykate? :) 

MrsNolan2017 wrote (see post):

I found a jar i really liked which is a yoghurt pot made by little farm. I popped them an email and asked if there was any way they could send me used ones to use for my centrepieces. They were super kind and saved up around a hundred for me, they arrived yesterday and all it cost me was the price of a courier to collect. 

So it may be worth emailing companies with jars you like the look of, it might pay off! Also, worth emailing hotels and places like that to get their used jars x

That's brilliant! I'll have to have a look round some places 

Hails wrote (see post):

Just did an image search for you:

Thank you! The first picture is nice :) I like the idea! 

Just ordered 1kg of pinecones and 16pck of mini pumpkins from ebay! £11 for all of them! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride
    Laura349 wrote (see post):

That idea sounds brilliant! How much would you want to be selling them for Sammykate? :) 

I don't know to be honest! I'll put a selling thread up after the wedding- hopefully they will all survive in tact! I'll make sure we get some pics of them in action too

• Miss-MrsMiss-Mrs Posts: 117
    Hails wrote (see post):

That's a really good idea :) It's just finding those jars or lanterns in bulk that won't cost the earth! (unless I eat A LOT of jam and save the jars! haha) 

Hey,

You've got more than enough time to ask all family and friends to save jars! 

Try amazon or dunelm otherwise...they may not be too expensive or maybe pound shop?

Xx

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

Hi , if you google pumpkin wedding centrepieces there are some fab ideas with orange and white pumpkins , also some floristry suppliers sell dried mini pumpkins , message me if you want to look at them and I will look in my suppliers , I know I've seen them in one recently .

I don't know to be honest! I'll put a selling thread up after the wedding- hopefully they will all survive in tact! I'll make sure we get some pics of them in action too

That would be brilliant. I'm sure they'll look fantastic in action! 

Hey just spotted home bargains are selling mason jars in bulk at a very reasonable price.

Hails wrote (see post):

Hey just spotted home bargains are selling mason jars in bulk at a very reasonable price.

Ooo! Thank you Hails! I'll take a look now :) 

• I decorated my 30th birthday party in Autumnal colours and found the fake ivy and Autumn leaf garlands on EBay look really lovely. The leaves are red and orange too. Have you got anywhere in your venue you could wrap them around? Most supermarkets sell mini pumpkins in October and they last around a month, uncarved. I saved small coffee jars which are surprisingly easy to use up fully if you like coffee! 

I'm planning on using pine cones to hold my place cards too. You just saw a slot in the top of them and slide the card in.