Forum home Your DIY ideas

DIY ideas please :)

I'm wedding planning as we speak, although we have a good budget I still want to save as much as possible where I can :) Plus I love planning etc so I'd like to do some crafty bits with my bridesmaids.

any cool ideas for DIY?

xx

• MrsWoolgroveMrsWoolgrove Posts: 888

A hard one to answer when knowing nothign about your wedding. But my advice is to price it up - DIY is not always cheaper! Once you've bought all the little bits you need, it actually ends up being more expensive that just buying it. Especially for little things. So make sure you do your research if your main aim is to save money :)

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Centrepieces depending on what your having?  I'm terrible at DIY but doing a few decorative bits such as fairy lights in fishbowls, a large curtain made of lights (looks better than it sounds!!) and also am creating my bridal hangers myself.  I've bought some plain white wooden hangers from Wilko, bows from Amazon and then some personalised decals from ebay and I just need to stick them altogether.

You could also do a DIY photobooth?  Camera, backdrop and props.

DIY invitations?  Personally not doing these as my creativity is pretty rubbish but I've seen some epic looking DIY invites on this forum.

Good luck! 

• AlisonMaryAlisonMary Posts: 210

Invitations can be done really cheaply yourself depending on what you want. 

But I agree with above comments - you really need to do your research. I wanted to do all my own pom poms to save money, turns out, it was actually cheaper buying them ready made from ebay than it would have been to buy all the tissue paper and actually make them myself! x

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Table plans and menus and name places.  

Guest signing thing? 

• MrsK2017MrsK2017 Posts: 230 New bride

I'm doing most of my wedding as a DIY project, just because I wanted to be able to say at the end of it, 'i did that'. We're doing our own flowers, decor (other than flowers), invites, order of service, guest survival kits (snacks and water for in between ceremony and reception). Maybe place settings or menus would be a good DIY, or wedding favours, depending on what you're having as a favour. Even making the cones for confetti, if you're having confetti, would be a fun thing to do with your bridesmaids. 

Let me know how you get on! 

• Sara107Sara107 Posts: 85

MrsK2017

how are you making your confetti cones?? 

• I'm doing everything DIY except the food and obviously I'm not sewing all the dresses by hand! I'm actually growing all the flowers for my bouquet and for the centrepieces, which is quite stressful but like Mrsk2017 said above, I want to say.. "I did that!" Also, I'm a massive control freak! I found this blog which explains how to make your own centrepieces on the cheap and I think I'm going to steal.... erm I mean be inspired by some of the ideas on there! 

Here is the link... https://ferndalecentrepieces.com/gallery/

I'd love to hear more ideas that everyone else is doing! You're all so creative! Good luck everyone!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I have made the mini bunting for my candlelabras, decorated a wire LOVE sign with artificial flowers, stamped all of the favour tags and I'm in the middle of making my day invitations at the moment. But I agree to double check the costings, it's not always cheaper! I was lucky I already own a sewing machine, I have a laptop and have easy access to a printer. 

I still have a list of things I need to DIY. I have a ladder which needs to sanded, painted and the decorated. I have 5 artificial bay trees which need to be decorated with ribbon and lights. And goodness knows what else I've forgotten! 

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 406 New bride

I've made:

folded book art for my centrepieces/table names.

save the dates and invitations and will be making matching name cards and table plan.

I'll also be making up my own favours, mini jam jars filled with different sweets and fabric over the lids, tied with twine and a little wooden heart with Mr & Mrs and our wedding date on.

I've got a little bit of paiting to do for decorations, I bought some wooden letters to spell out "love", "laugh" and "live" and will be painting them ivory and possibly decorating them with some marvel confetti hearts. 

I bought a plain scrap book from Paperchase and will be decorating it to make our guest book.

I'm also going to make sweet cones for the children :)

I ordered children's activity packs from ebay, and looking at them they would probably be really easy to make yourself (maybe not as cheap though) 

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

for my daughter's wedding wanted to do some things myself even though not too good at crafts just to make it more personal .

l bought cheap cotton bags then decorated myself with spray painted snowflakes and gems for bridesmaid gift bags , all the gifts were picked up in sales atc .as and when . 

i bought cheap letters and decorated them with glitter and matching paint 

made lights with lidded jars , glitter and led lights , felt very proud of my efforts to save money . 

Made up the aisle hurricane lamps myself and bought up cheap glass and silverware to make my own sweet table . A lot of the items were then sold on after the wedding so cost much less than hiring or buying ready done . 

• Hayley217Hayley217 Posts: 29

Completely understand where you are coming from, I'm looking at ways to DIY parts of the wedding myself as well. I've looked at wedding invitations but as we only have like 10 day invitations and 25 evening invitations, it's going to be easier for me to just order them. 

I'm making my own table numbers and place settings, my wedding is in a barn, so I'm making the name holders out of corks and the centre pieces out of wine bottles decorated in paint and glitter and cups that you can get from desserts (ie. Goo desserts) and putting ribbon around them and candles in the middle. 

A good thing about this is your guests can take them home or use them as decorations around your house, rather than wasting money on flowers that will go dead. 

Making our own wedding favour packs with our favourite sweets as well.

• I'd like to give you some ideas but what is your theme or colour scheme?