Forum home Your DIY ideas

Leaves for menus

Hi all,

Looking for some advise, we have given all our guests the option of what they would like on all three courses for the wedding so now we need to find the right menu 'boards' per guest to write on with their menu.....we were thinking of some leaves and to write it on in a gold or silver but I can only find maple leaves atm which aren't particularly big so could anyone think of somewhere other than eBay we could get artificial leaves from?

Out wedding is in December and our theme is woodland elegance.

Thanks in advance

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

Hi , you can buy leaves and greenery from floristry supply shops , I am  just starting a business so I have a couple of accounts , if you pm me the sort of thing you want and how many I will see if I can find any for you 

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

I personally would go for a walk in the woods and collect some myself. Cheapest way and you can get exactly what you want xx

• Kelly241Kelly241 Posts: 392 New bride
    MrsNolan2017 wrote (see post):

I personally would go for a walk in the woods and collect some myself. Cheapest way and you can get exactly what you want xx

I was thinking of getting fresh leaves, but not sure how long they'd last for as I don't want to be doing it in the run up to the wedding week, but it is something I will think about it if it comes to it, might trial it now actually (when it's not raining lol) see how long the pen on leaf lasts for xx

OK,

So since I last posted this, I have found a leaf in our garden, just quickly squiggled on it in a gold marker pen, unfortunately just the following day, it looks rubbish, any suggestions if using fresh on how to keep them looking fresh as ideally, I'd want this done at least 1 week in advance of getting married!

If not, I may look into getting an artificial leaf to see how that looks.

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

Hmm I think it could be tricky to make them look right whether you use real or artificial. just did a Google search and saw a few on palm leaves and banana leaves which looked good as they're much bigger and smoother but obviously not in keeping with a British woodland theme.

If it was me, I'd probably do paper menus cut into the shape of leaves as they'd be clearer to read and less stressful as you can prepare them well in advance. 

If your tables were named after different types of tree, you could give each table their menus in the shape of that particular leaf. 

Lucykins wrote (see post):

Hmm I think it could be tricky to make them look right whether you use real or artificial. just did a Google search and saw a few on palm leaves and banana leaves which looked good as they're much bigger and smoother but obviously not in keeping with a British woodland theme.

If it was me, I'd probably do paper menus cut into the shape of leaves as they'd be clearer to read and less stressful as you can prepare them well in advance. 

If your tables were named after different types of tree, you could give each table their menus in the shape of that particular leaf. 

I think you're probably right tbh, I probably knew it myself too 😣

Yeah, I saw the Banana leaves and really liked them...I think my question continues.

Thank you x

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

You could write on paper but display in a pine cone?

Hails wrote (see post):

You could write on paper but display in a pine cone?

A colleague at work actually emailed me this exact same thing at work today, the pine cone with it placed on the top, really like it 🤗

However, I've just seen on my instagram, that my stylist actually said she can do this pic but smaller 🤗